Go back to previous topic
Forum nameInterior/Exterior
Topic subjectHood Scoop
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=104093
104093, Hood Scoop
Posted by irregular defect, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Maybe get some help from Corbin or Hazard_Eclipse on this one?

I'm interested in doing a functioning hood scoop. Get a sealed box around the filter and all that. You guys got any tips? Pictures? Anything like that.

Thanks.
104094, RE: Hood Scoop
Posted by DanKid, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I'm gonna pm you a link to an old write-up that I found on another site for a hood scoop. Don't know if it's a functional hood scoop but you can probably use the basic outline to make something on your own. :thumbsup
104095, RE: Hood Scoop
Posted by irregular defect, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Neeeeeeeevvvveeerrrmind. Found some threads. Although some lack pictures, I found what I was looking for.
104096, RE: Hood Scoop
Posted by Corbin, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM

I later used some weatherstripping like 12335A26 from McMaster Carr to seal against the hood. An added bonus is you can hear the turbo spooling from the hood scoop.

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

Now with more power and fewer leaks

Humble servant of the Wiki
104116, RE: Hood Scoop
Posted by MITSUracer123, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Love this hood scoop! I always thought about doing something like that. And my short ram comes right about to where the air would flow in. The only thing i would worry about would be like rocks or water from rain getting in while driving.
104117, RE: Hood Scoop
Posted by 95greenhrcgs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Corbin did his the best, and was exactly what I wanted on my 2g, but was always too afraid to do it.
104119, RE: Hood Scoop
For me, any high speed rain will hit the back of the airbox and drain out the bottom. The hood opening is a couple inches rearward of the filter.

Jon: Come over some time and we'll saw out a nice hood scoop for the MR2. Your spare tire could use from fresh air, right?

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

104120, RE: Hood Scoop
Posted by MITSUracer123, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
LMAO! Ok thanx guys i might just try with a spare hood.
104154, RE: Hood Scoop
Posted by nicho919, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Another added bonus is that you would seemingly know if an oil leak was causing a massive fire...
104158, RE: Hood Scoop
Originally posted by nicho919
Another added bonus is that you would seemingly know if an oil leak was causing a massive fire...

A piece of candy to anyone else who knows what he is referencing!

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

104162, RE: Hood Scoop
Posted by Tuxdreamerx, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Corbin
Originally posted by nicho919 Another added bonus is that you would seemingly know if an oil leak was causing a massive fire...
A piece of candy to anyone else who knows what he is referencing! Corbin '95 ESI-T Now with more power and fewer leaks Humble servant of the Wiki

Ummm.... Wouldnt you know without it? I mean since there is a gap on the firewall side of the hood I suppose smoke would come out there too. And probably through the vents. I know this from experience :-)
104164, RE: Hood Scoop
Posted by twizteddork, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
dang i knew i should have copyrighted that hood lol looks damn good sir.
104168, RE: Hood Scoop
Posted by hazard_eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
LOL I was surprised to see my name pop up in this thread.

I did mine like 4 or 5 years ago and have none of the pictures from that project. I've redone the underside of the hood since then and it looks flawless on both side now. unlike Corbin though I used a piece of stainless steel mesh grill from a Cadillac to cover the hole to keep trash and rocks out. I used body seam sealer to hold it on. I do like Corbin's design on the air filter box. I never got around to do that yet. my filter when i was still N/A sat right at the vent though. I'll get some pics of the underside ASAP

here's a pic before the paint

and after:

I generated this page in 0.011620998382568 seconds, executing 7 queries.