Go back to previous topic
Forum nameInterior/Exterior
Topic subjectNew Pics.... Tinted Tails
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=103563
103563, New Pics.... Tinted Tails
Posted by ThePerfectShift, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
What's up guys, I just got a job at Advanced Auto Parts(a huge step up from the pawn shop aka hell) and they carry VHT products. Well yesterday we got in some new products and Nite Shades happened to be one of them. I quickly grabbed two cans (one for my car and one for my girls) not realizing one can would probably do both cars...

Ended up costing $10 a can after my employee discount. The finished product(plus pics of my system as well):

(the amp for my highs)

the beast

I LOVE the outcome of the tails. I used two light coats and some touch ups to even out the opacity.
103565, RE: New Pics.... Tinted Tails
Posted by RoninEclipse2G, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
outside looks great :thumbsup

the tails came out very nice.

you need to remount your stereo deck properly, the factory mounts have spots to bolt right to the deck, you'll lose the trimring because the deck will sit back farther and it wont fit but everything will look much cleaner.

IMO you should clean up the trunk area a bit, mount the amps and box better.
103568, RE: New Pics.... Tinted Tails
that would be lovely if the jackass that broke into my car didn't rip the mount points out of it.

Thanks for the compliments man.
103569, RE: New Pics.... Tinted Tails
I'll give you my interior mounts and such from my parts car after I get the dash out if you want them for the cost of shipping. new brackets cost ~$10 at the dealer.

theives piss me the fuck off.
103570, RE: New Pics.... Tinted Tails
Posted by eclipse982nrRST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Those look sexy. I love shaded 2gnt tails, thats why I did mine last year.

I also like the 2gnt lettering, where did you pick up the letters from?

Also, I gotta get me some of those Kanye style shades!
103571, RE: New Pics.... Tinted Tails
Posted by 420agreenvilleSC, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by eclipse982nrRSTI love shaded 2gnt tails, thats why I did mine last year. I also like the 2gnt lettering, where did you pick up the letters from?

x2
103574, RE: New Pics.... Tinted Tails
Thanks guys....
I got the lettering from Auto Zone. In the same aisle as the stupid stick on fender vents. They were like a buck a piece.
103576, RE: New Pics.... Tinted Tails
Posted by eclipserstturbo, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Ditto, that looks sick. I think I might have to take the altezzas off and do my stock tails like that. How did you get everything (car especially and did you clear the tails or is that just the two shades of VHT) so fucking shiny? It's pissing me off. Mine looks like it doesn't even have the first coat of clear compared to yours. VERY NICE! Keep up the good work.
103577, RE: New Pics.... Tinted Tails
Posted by red95eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yea looks great just watch out for the cops. I had mine professionally done and all it does is give them another reason to pull you over. I used the same stuff you did at first and they were too dark.
103580, RE: New Pics.... Tinted Tails
naw i didn't clear over them, that's just how they turned out. I took the pictures not too long after I applied the tint so it may possibly get a little more matte once dried over night but so far they're pretty damn glossy.
103586, RE: New Pics.... Tinted Tails
Posted by wordsarize, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
looks very nice.. im plannin to do that too wit mine... but wit the actual tint material since my boy got some
103587, RE: New Pics.... Tinted Tails
Posted by DanKid, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by ThePerfectShift
naw i didn't clear over them, that's just how they turned out. I took the pictures not too long after I applied the tint so it may possibly get a little more matte once dried over night but so far they're pretty damn glossy.

Man make sure you get some clear coat on them quick. Mine looked glossy and nice like yours so I didn't clear them either and after a few months of rain and sun exposure they ended up fading and eventually peeling off bad. I ended up having to completely take off the night shades with alcohol and a bit of acetone.
103588, RE: New Pics.... Tinted Tails
Posted by Flipboi89, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Curious what was your procedure how you did those? Im planning on shading my reverse lights and signal markers and I wanna do it right.
103592, RE: New Pics.... Tinted Tails
Posted by ez, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Now do the same with your reverse lights IMO

That's all I want to nightshade on my car - the reverse lights - but it's lame that I have to buy a whole can to paint 5 square inches of surface area.
103593, RE: New Pics.... Tinted Tails
I'm debating on the reverse lights. My girl is for it too. I just don't wanna go overkill nah mean? I'm prolly gonna end up doing them though. They look dark in the day, but you cant even tell they're tinted at night with the lights on.

All I did, for the one who asked, was remove the tails, wipe them real good with alchohol (isopropyl....not smirnoff... lol) sprayed down the work area with a hose to minimize dust kick up, and sprayed one light coat, waited 5 mins, sprayed a medium coat, waited 10 minutes, and touched up the lighter areas. I waited 2 hours and put them back on the car.

Oh and they're still glossy today :)
103599, RE: New Pics.... Tinted Tails
Here is a pic of mine. Sorry for the xtra-large picture I dont know how to resize it.

103609, RE: New Pics.... Tinted Tails
Posted by FunRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey perfectshift where in florida are you at? I just check your profile and see that your in Daytona. I'm up here in Jacksonville
103613, RE: New Pics.... Tinted Tails
Posted by dalesmitsu, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by FunRS
Hey perfectshift where in florida are you at? I just check your profile and see that your in Daytona. I'm up here in Jacksonville

Congrats, getting hired at Advance. How often did you apply was is it tough getting or you know someone that worked at advance. Do they look at points on the persons driving record. Reason is I have two

I'm trying to get in at my local store and keep my night job on the side.
103624, RE: New Pics.... Tinted Tails
Thx Guys. Well thanks to the mechanical knowledge i recieved from owning a 2gnt, my application and parts knowledge was impressive to the manager. I actually live in Port Orange, but I work in Daytona. I'm down for a meet anytime!!!
103627, RE: New Pics.... Tinted Tails
Originally posted by ThePerfectShift
Thx Guys. Well thanks to the mechanical knowledge i recieved from owning a 2gnt, my application and parts knowledge was impressive to the manager.

LOL! that sounds like how I got a job as an assistant manager for CSK auto a few years back
103628, RE: New Pics.... Tinted Tails
Posted by whtclipse98, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Most of the time they will hire someone even if they do not carry automotive knowledge. I used to work there as an assistant and store manager. Having a basic knowledge of automobiles doesn't hurt.

Perfect - check out the big advance auto parts/keystone catalog for parts too. They have some cool stuff in there. That's where you used to be able to get VHT Nightshades paint from. I painted mine and swap them out with the standard ones every once in a while. If you need cheap OEM parts, the salvage area has some too.
103629, RE: New Pics.... Tinted Tails
Posted by Fallen4ng31, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
The tails look decent. Next time, please don't model with the car; That's why there are models. :P
103630, RE: New Pics.... Tinted Tails
Posted by DanKid, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Fallen4ng31
Next time, please don't model with the car; That's why there are models. :P

LMAO!! Remember chico, "It's not how you stand by your car, it's how you race your car." Remember that. :afro

103631, RE: New Pics.... Tinted Tails
Posted by mitsu95023, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by red95eclipse
Here is a pic of mine. Sorry for the xtra-large picture I dont know how to resize it.

i was wondering how the black would look on red, looks good, that just made up my mind on what im doing to my tail lights
103633, RE: New Pics.... Tinted Tails
Im happy with how they turned out. Those were done with a paint gun though. Its actually a really dark blue. I used the nightshade the first time and they were way too dark so I bought another set and had them painted. Good luck with the project.
103634, RE: New Pics.... Tinted Tails
IMO yours would look hella better with a painted red center. My center lens is actually bc/cc black color matched to the vehicle. Professionally done by me :P

Oh and I decided to model because I can't afford to pay a girl to take pics on my car. Plus now you know I'm black. lol.

Oh and I tinted my reverse lights. For anyone that cares. :shrug
103635, RE: New Pics.... Tinted Tails
two questions

One, are those blue fogs brand by pilot. Price for Pilots are decent, looking for new ones, just wondered.

two, under radio are those speeding tickets.

nice 2g, all black interior is better tan/black.
103639, RE: New Pics.... Tinted Tails
Originally posted by dalesmitsu
Under the radio, are those speeding tickets?

LOL! good catch!
103640, RE: New Pics.... Tinted Tails
Originally posted by dalesmitsu
two questions One, are those blue fogs brand by pilot. Price for Pilots are decent, looking for new ones, just wondered. two, under radio are those speeding tickets. nice 2g, all black interior is better tan/black.

1. I honestly don't remember. They were cheap..Like >$20 @ walmart
I'll look for the box and see if i still have it.
2. Damn good catch lol. One Speeding (actually a funny story) and one Noise Pollution Ticket.

I love the black on black. I'm working towards that. If you noticed, most of my interior is removed. I'm getting ready to paint them.......

It seems like I always have too many projects goin on with this car to get any of them fully completed.... Guess I'm just Lazy. :shrug
103817, RE: New Pics.... Tinted Tails
Posted by jdpilot, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I dont liek it. Too dark IMO and I was never a fan of the blood red look you can see from under tint sprau. Heres a pic of the smoked discontinued Nakayama tails I aquired. They look really light in the pic, but the tint is pretty deep. Much beter IMO
103819, RE: New Pics.... Tinted Tails
Originally posted by jdpilot
I dont liek it. Too dark IMO and I was never a fan of the blood red look you can see from under tint sprau. Heres a pic of the smoked discontinued Nakayama tails I aquired. They look really light in the pic, but the tint is pretty deep. Much beter IMO

That looks nice, however, I would never spend the money for those tail lamps.
103820, RE: New Pics.... Tinted Tails
Originally posted by eclipse982nrRST
Originally posted by jdpilot I dont liek it. Too dark IMO and I was never a fan of the blood red look you can see from under tint sprau. Heres a pic of the smoked discontinued Nakayama tails I aquired. They look really light in the pic, but the tint is pretty deep. Much beter IMO http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i119/jdpilot/l_eebd71fcaf69a0b2dbaa023e0414377d. jpg

And a lot of us wouldn't spend the time or effort to widebody and repaint our cars every year and a half. :P

103821, RE: New Pics.... Tinted Tails
Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
Originally posted by jdpilot I dont liek it. Too dark IMO and I was never a fan of the blood red look you can see from under tint sprau. Heres a pic of the smoked discontinued Nakayama tails I aquired. They look really light in the pic, but the tint is pretty deep. Much beter IMO http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i119/jdpilot/l_eebd71fcaf69a0b2dbaa023e0414377d. jpg
And a lot of us wouldn't spend the time or effort to widebody and repaint our cars every year and a half. :P

Thats cuz alot of people here arent as picky as me :)
103824, RE: New Pics.... Tinted Tails
Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
Thats cuz alot of people here arent as picky as me :)

Picky? That's what you're calling it now? Right... :rolleyes
103822, RE: New Pics.... Tinted Tails
Posted by Nightfall, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Car looks good man, don't get lazy lol. Get that thing "murdered out" :thumbsup

My favorite by far, now THESE are some pimpin ass tail lights...

103823, RE: New Pics.... Tinted Tails
Originally posted by Nightfall
Car looks good man, don't get lazy lol. Get that thing "murdered out" :thumbsup My favorite by far, now THESE are some pimpin ass tail lights...

Fail, style of them looks like a 97-99 Prelude tails each to their own :shrug
103818, RE: New Pics.... Tinted Tails
Posted by jdpilot, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
And get yourself some of these;
http://www.helixautomotive.com/corner_fog_mitsubishi.html
103825, RE: New Pics.... Tinted Tails
Posted by Babbz413, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
get out of the way so i can see that clean monte carlo!

103831, RE: New Pics.... Tinted Tails
Posted by eclipsers1987, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
perfectshift - Im in your area, well ormond, and if you havent already gotten the radio bracket, Ive got one lying around in the garage I think thats left over from my part out(as well as a crap ton more) but anyways if you want it its yours. Shoot me a PM and we can meet up sometime. Let me know!
I generated this page in 0.012360095977783 seconds, executing 7 queries.