Go back to previous topic
Forum nameInterior/Exterior
Topic subjectElectic Window Control Problem
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=101824
101824, Electic Window Control Problem
Posted by ModifiedElement, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Ok. I need any and all ideas to help me fix this problem.
The problem is:
When you remove the door panels the electric window switch is screwed in underneath. If you have removed the door panels before you will know what I'm talking about. Over time and after being removed a few times the places where the screws actually screw in become worn and/or cracked. Mine are cracked... almost all of them. See pic below

The screws will no longer hold the window controller in place. I can get maybe one screw to hold and if I try to use the window control it falls back down inside the door as shown in the picture below.

My first thought was to put hot glue in the holes where the screws go and then re-thread new screw holes into the glue... Now this would work for the winter months but not in the summer because I am afraid that the glue would heat up and melt and the screws would fall right back out... and then I am back to square one.

Any ideas on how to get either the screws to stay in and tight?? or just how to get the window control to stay in period??
101826, RE: Electic Window Control Problem
Posted by teklein, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
This kinda hard to explain.

I got a plastic rod the same O.D. as the cracked screw post.
Cut it to the same height as the original, drilled a hole in the center, then cut the old one out and glued the new one in place with Loctite 2 Part Plastic glue. Then just screw it together. Its been quite a few months and is holding up fine!
101827, RE: Electic Window Control Problem
Posted by ModifiedElement, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Thanks for the idea.. That would be the professional way to do it and I will probably do that at a later point.

But right after posting the original question, I had to go work on the car anywase and I got to looking at the problem at hand...
I came up with this for a temporary fix.
Start by placing small zip ties in the following places:

this one is just behind where the window control mounts

and this one is just in front of where the control mounts

Then place the window control in place and add zip ties between the two that are already in place and tighten and you should end up with something like this:

Problem solved... for now. :)
I generated this page in 0.0099270343780518 seconds, executing 7 queries.