Go back to previous topic
Forum name4G63 Tech
Topic subjectExhaust popping noise while accelerating
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=67&topic_id=9696
9696, Exhaust popping noise while accelerating
Posted by Ryan_Hes, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
This is Jarrad_GST accidentally posted on Ryan's computer and sn. sorry.

I did an 6bolt swap into a 2g. I have 500 miles on it but when i boost pasted 5psi the car starts to makes a popping noise out of the exhaust.. And yes I get a loss of power and cant boost passed 8 psi. The popping noise doesnt intially start until I let off the gas a little to reduce it at 90% throttle.

I changed my spark plugs to BPRES6 and I used my friends used spark plug wires. I am thinking it is my coil pack b/c when hooking the car the first time up.. the plug for 2gs are identical.. so I accidentally hooked the A/C harness to the ignition and it started to eat away the coil pack. Then I switched the wires to how they should be and the car ran fine. I boosted around town and no problems with the popping noise. So.. how could it be my coil pack. I have changed many things since then.

I have tried to lean out my Safc w/ 550cc injectors to -40. That was too lean and then put them back down to -20 with a Evo16g turbo. So I dont think its fuel related. I ran rich then lean either did not change anything. I tried retard my timing and advancing it... that didnt do anything.

I do have one missing bolt on the exhaust manifold but I do not think that would cause the car to loose total power after 5 psi..

So basically I want someone to tell me its coil pack and ignition wires so I dont waste spending $50 and be wrong.
One question, will 91-94 coils packs work fine with 2g?

let me know thanks.
9697, RE: Exhaust popping noise while accelerating
Posted by Vandy420a, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
hmmm try a boost leak test if you dont' wanna spend the money on plugs/wires---you should do that anyways
9698, RE: Exhaust popping noise while accelerating
Posted by eclipzGST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
The first thing you should do is try a known good coil pack. If there is damage to the one in the car now, than it's probably causing your problems...
I generated this page in 0.012059926986694 seconds, executing 7 queries.