Go back to previous topic
Forum name4G63 Tech
Topic subjectBOV install question -
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=67&topic_id=7282
7282, BOV install question -
Posted by sentury111, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I need to know what adapter kit i need to get for a 97 Turbo Eclipse

The above link shows the BOV I have and I need to figure out what adapater kit so it can be converted from a bypass valve to a BOV.

I need to either have two pipes bypassed or sealed off with a plug. What would I need to get to make this work? Thanks for the help.
7283, RE: BOV install question -
Posted by eclipzGST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
:wary
DO NOT VENT YOUR BOV!!!!!!! Go and read http://www.vfaq.com/index-main.html till your eyes bleed.
Or at least do a quick search here. This has come up so many times it's not even funny. You could stumble over all the posts about this subject.
7284, RE: BOV install question -
Unless I upgrade the to a GM MAF. You need to adjust with a dsmlink to not run to rich.

Seems like this is a way to go. From what I read, you can vent with the upgrade MAF.

TRUE?

Also if I upgrade GM MAF with the dsmlink will that replace or work in conjuction with the OBD2?

Or is it smarter to avoid that whole setup and bypass the airflow instead of venting it with a SSQV BOV?
7285, RE: BOV install question -
Originally posted by sentury111
Unless I upgrade the to a GM MAF. You need to adjust with a dsmlink to not run to rich. Seems like this is a way to go. From what I read, you can vent with the upgrade MAF. TRUE? Also if I upgrade GM MAF with the dsmlink will that replace or work in conjuction with the OBD2? Or is it smarter to avoid that whole setup and bypass the airflow instead of venting it with a SSQV BOV?

I honestly think you should do more research before you just dive into all this. Start with BPU's and then work your way up. You're going to get in over your head real fast.
7286, RE: BOV install question -
All I know is that OBD2 controlled motors have a tighter hold on the engines performance due to extra sensors and more tightened regulations as to what you can do.

Basically I want to replace the OBD2, that way I will properly be able to read 500 hp without problems. The stock MAF has a limit of around 450. Besides that I want to install a BOV that vents to the air. So getting back to the GM MAF, does that replace the OBD2 or work in conjuction. Or do I need a upgraded ECU to replace the OBD2?

PS I have already purchased many of the BPUs and am tring to get fully informed and prepared for future upgrades. Time will tell as to what happens. I'm reading the posts and other dsm sites though not just asking questions. Thanks for looking out though.

7287, RE: BOV install question -
Posted by Remy, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by sentury111
All I know is that OBD2 controlled motors have a tighter hold on the engines performance due to extra sensors and more tightened regulations as to what you can do. Basically I want to replace the OBD2, that way I will properly be able to read 500 hp without problems. The stock MAF has a limit of around 450. Besides that I want to install a BOV that vents to the air. So getting back to the GM MAF, does that replace the OBD2 or work in conjuction. Or do I need a upgraded ECU to replace the OBD2? PS I have already purchased many of the BPUs and am tring to get fully informed and prepared for future upgrades. Time will tell as to what happens. I'm reading the posts and other dsm sites though not just asking questions. Thanks for looking out though.

You can vent your bov, however as Tony stated its not really recommended. Some people can get away with it and some people cant. What I mean by that is some cars react diffrent to this. For example, I run a tial Bov with a stock maf. Now I suffer from no effects while DD my car. I race with it on the street with no issues. A friend of mine has many issues. His car idles like shit. It sometimes would randomly die after he goes wot. This was all issues with the stock maf. Wants he went with the gm maf that all changed. Since you are new I would say just stick resirculating your bov for now.

If you want to replace ob2 then you have to remove the stock ecu all together and go with a standalone (aem ems , halteck ect ect). Other wise you cant replace ob2 period. You can use piggy back systems like safc or dsmlink. Now with dsmlink you can reach your goal of 500hp fairly easy. The stock maf is NOT limited to 450hp. Especially if you plan on running dsmlink you can make 500+ on the stock maf. Dsmlink has functions that allows the car to outflow what the stock maf can meter.

Gm Maf does not replace ob2. Gm Maf just uses a maf that can flow alot more air than the stock maf. But if you use this it has to be calibrated other wise the ecu thinks you are flowing way more air than you actually are and it starts alot of fuel. That becomes a huge headache when tuning. So if you go that route you would beed a gm 3bar map sensor to help you calibrate the Maft.

If i were you I would not worry about a gm3bar or maft no time soon. Just buy dsmlink and your bolt ons and go from there. It takes alot to get a car to 500hp. I dont care what mods you have, you cant just throw parts at a car and think you will make power. I know this from many dsms that I have tuned over the years.

Good Luck.

----------------------------------------
GT35 and stuff.
Lucky Number 6 ...
7288, RE: BOV install question -
Posted by EclipseTical, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Please do a hell of a lot more searching or we'll soon be seeing a "i blew my motor up" post. Everyone has to start somewhere. The Vfaq should be your best friend right now.

DSMlink is an incredible tuning device, but if used improperly you will can cause major damage real quick. You can't just go in and change settings without a working knowledge of what exactly you are changing.

Since you seem to need help installing a simple BOV, DSMlink and GM 3bar should be the last things on your mind at this point.
7289, RE: BOV install question -
Thanks Remy. Sometimes I just don't have the time to go into detsil...
7290, RE: BOV install question -
Posted by ScreaminE, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Thanks for the insight remy.

I learn something new about dsm's everyday.
7291, RE: BOV install question -
Posted by 97eclipse97, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by eclipzGST
Thanks Remy. Sometimes I just don't have the time to go into detsil...

I was going to say the same thing Tony. Unfortunately, you should not ever have a horespower or numbers goal (low 11's, etc), as you will probably not get there for quite some time. Instead, get the parts you think you need and go from there. It is a long process, believe me. Before you buy anything else, plan out your entire setup, including the costs. I have a relatively simple setup, that should be good for high 11's on race gas (although the only time my car ran good at the track, I ran consistent 13.4's on pump, but with boost leaks and a clutch switch problem) and I have over $12,000 into the car (and I still have the stock 7-bolt, that I just blew up on the way to the SO :)). It is expensive, you will break things, you won't run how you expect, and you will learn a ton along the way. As was said, you were getting way ahead of yourself. It seems you have some knowledge of cars in general, but not DSM's. We are a rare breed, unique in many, many ways. Read as much as you can, then go out and work on your car. DO NOT HAVE OTHER PEOPLE DO YOUR WORK! Not only will you not learn anything, but half of the time it is not done right anyways. Trust me. Your first mod should be a Craftsman Mechanic's tool set (I have a 268 or so piece set that has almost everything and I use it everyday). A crushed 1g bov or gus modded bov is more than sufficient and almost free. Good luck!
I generated this page in 0.0083730220794678 seconds, executing 7 queries.