Go back to previous topic
Forum name4G63 Tech
Topic subjectAre these turbos worth it?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=67&topic_id=7119
7119, Are these turbos worth it?
Posted by blue97tsiawd, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I know there are some mixed reviews over ebay turbos but these 3 different one I fond all come with a 1year warranty on them. Would it be worth to buy since they are allot cheaper than a fp,pte,sbr ect since they still come with a warranty?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Eclipse-Talon-DSM-4G63-Turbo-Turbocharger-KIT-T3-T4_W0QQitemZ250029655241QQihZ015QQcategoryZ33742QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TD05-16G-Turbo-Charger-Turbocharger-Eclipse-Talon-EVO_W0QQitemZ200027846673QQihZ010QQcategoryZ33742QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DSM-1G-2G-BIG-16G-ECLIPSE-TALON-TD05H-TURBOCHARGER-EVO3_W0QQitemZ300029947585QQihZ020QQcategoryZ33742QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
7120, RE: Are these turbos worth it?
Posted by 420a-Tnthewerks, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Which ones? Links? SSAutochrome? NO. Things that say "super" or "awesome" or "Evo III GT" NO.

Edit- woops, links weren't there the firts time.. First one is XS Power, which is SSAutochrome junk. 2nd one says it's ported with a bigger wastegate flapper which is most likely the chinese knockoff Evo III 16g, some people have goodluck with those but it's your choice. The third doesn't say anything about being ported or a bigger wastegate flapper but I can't tell you for sure if it will hold up.
7121, RE: Are these turbos worth it?
Posted by blue97tsiawd, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 420a-Tnthewerks
Which ones? Links? SSAutochrome? NO. Things that say "super" or "awesome" or "Evo III GT" NO. Edit- woops, links weren't there the firts time.. First one is XS Power, which is SSAutochrome junk. 2nd one says it's ported with a bigger wastegate flapper which is most likely the chinese knockoff Evo III 16g, some people have goodluck with those but it's your choice. The third doesn't say anything about being ported or a bigger wastegate flapper but I can't tell you for sure if it will hold up.

What turbo are you running on your X
7122, RE: Are these turbos worth it?
Posted by 420a-Tnthewerks, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by blue97tsiawd
Originally posted by 420a-Tnthewerks Which ones? Links? SSAutochrome? NO. Things that say "super" or "awesome" or "Evo III GT" NO. Edit- woops, links weren't there the firts time.. First one is XS Power, which is SSAutochrome junk. 2nd one says it's ported with a bigger wastegate flapper which is most likely the chinese knockoff Evo III 16g, some people have goodluck with those but it's your choice. The third doesn't say anything about being ported or a bigger wastegate flapper but I can't tell you for sure if it will hold up.
What turbo are you running on your X

As they have been saying, Forced Perfomance builds quality turbos so chalk up another vote for Forced Performance. I personally have an FP3065.
7123, RE: Are these turbos worth it?
Posted by 97eclipse97, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 420a-TnthewerksFirst one is XS Power, which is SSAutochrome junk.

Agreed (well some of their stuff is ok, but I for one would not trust a turbo, wastegate, manifold (ss none the less), bov, lines, gaskets, and fittings brand new for only $800. A real MHI Evo III 16G will cost at least $500 by it self. But that's just me.

Originally posted by 420a-Tnthewerks2nd one says it's ported with a bigger wastegate flapper which is most likely the chinese knockoff Evo III 16g, some people have goodluck with those but it's your choice.

See the plate on the top of the turbo? Not found on any MHI (Mitsubishi Heavy Industry) turbo. Definitely a chinese knock off, which I have not heard anything good about.

Originally posted by 420a-TnthewerksThe third doesn't say anything about being ported or a bigger wastegate flapper but I can't tell you for sure if it will hold up.

I can tell you it is nothing like a real 16g though. It is a tdo4 (or to4e or whatever they say), where as real 16g's are tdo5's. (This is the turbine wheel. Tdo5 is bigger than the tdo4) Second, it is a t3/t4, which will not bolt up to a mitsu manifold. You will need a new manifold for it.

Do yourself a favor and buy a real Evo III from FP or slowboy. They really arn't that much more.

7124, RE: Are these turbos worth it?
Posted by eclipzGST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 97eclipse97
Do yourself a favor and buy a real Evo III from FP or slowboy. They really arn't that much more.

Yup. And don't bother with the bigger flapper. They just blow open under high boost. If you start creeping, just port or go with an external gate.

7125, RE: Are these turbos worth it?
Posted by orzech, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
go with either MHI, or forced performance if you want quality stuff. there are other turbos out there too, jsut read and do some research on them. it all dpends what your goals are for your car.
7126, RE: Are these turbos worth it?
Posted by Remy, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Skip the worthless 16g all together. Buy a real turbo. Check your pm.

----------------------------------------
GT35 and stuff.
Lucky Number 6 ...
7127, RE: Are these turbos worth it?
Posted by kelvinb1, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
you guys suck

im getting the evo 3 gt, but not the ebay knock off. im getting the the one from turbochargers.com....they have a huge write up on how slowboy did this and that and bla bla bla....anyways there are alot of people having good reviews on it, so im getting it. anyways the evo gt on ebay is a knock off of the original evo gt which is not a bad turbo.
7128, RE: Are these turbos worth it?
Posted by StreetRacer_21, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
With a 1 year warranty, assuming they wouldn't give you any hassels sending you another one if it got messed up, I would say definately go for it.
7129, RE: Are these turbos worth it?
Posted by FluxCapacitor, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by kelvinb1
you guys suck im getting the evo 3 gt, but not the ebay knock off. im getting the the one from turbochargers.com....they have a huge write up on how slowboy did this and that and bla bla bla....anyways there are alot of people having good reviews on it, so im getting it. anyways the evo gt on ebay is a knock off of the original evo gt which is not a bad turbo.

Haha, suit yourself, there's a guy on one of the other dsm forums that personally worked for the turbochargers.com website, (based in Dallas) and supposedly the guy that owns the website/shop is a real dirt bag, those EVO GT turbos ARE crap... whether they're from ebay or not, it's some bullshit low quality turbo and all that stuff on turbochargers.com talking about some big ploy to keep them from making money launched by other competitors is crap too. If the turbochargers weren't crap people wouldn't say they are.
7130, RE: Are these turbos worth it?
Posted by eclipzGST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Please don't be stupid enough to buy an "EVO" turbo that's made by anyone other than MHI. GT turbos are Chinese knockoffs. They are NOT the same!
7131, RE: Are these turbos worth it?
Posted by burntheblobs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by eclipzGST
Please don't be stupid enough to buy an "EVO" turbo that's made by anyone other than MHI. GT turbos are Chinese knockoffs. They are NOT the same!

Turbochargers.com GT turbo might actually be a quality item. This is highly contested. Would I trust it? Hell no. Go to turbochargers.com and buy a brand new MHI Evo 3 16g for $499.
I generated this page in 0.010020017623901 seconds, executing 7 queries.