Go back to previous topic
Forum name4G63 Tech
Topic subjectHow do you AWD guys launch?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=67&topic_id=6179
6179, How do you AWD guys launch?
Posted by eclipse804, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Just curious how you AWD guys launch? I went to the track for the first time with my wrx, and couldn't manage to get my 60' lower than a 2.1. My best time was a 15.346 @ 90.56 mph. I was pretty disappointed...I don't think I can launch right. I was slipping the clutch from around 4500 to 5000 rpms. I would appreciate any input you guys have on what you do with your 4g63 awd cars, so I can get more ideas...thanks.
6180, RE: How do you AWD guys launch?
Posted by 2gsx95guy, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM

i launch my awd at 5 to 5 1/2 rpm...just rev it an dump the clutch...from what i heard any higher than that an u might break something in the transfer case...but then again i could be wrong...also u gotta remember that your drivin' an competely different car from eclipse...usally what works for us might not work for u....so best thing to do is partices....
6181, RE: How do you AWD guys launch?
Posted by Nackers, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yeah like he said. The guy I was with in the TSI launched at 5500 aslo. It was insane! He did have a upgraded clutch too.
6182, RE: How do you AWD guys launch?
Posted by chrysler kid, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
oh man dude those times blow. i got beat by an 97rs impreza that had crazy launches. he revved it to redline and dropped it. those 2doors can pop huge ass wheelies !
6183, RE: How do you AWD guys launch?
I think my tranny is too fragile to dump the clutch (people say not to). At least there were two other wrx's running 15's also. The highlight of the night was seeing a wrx beat a new evolution with a 13.5. An STi was also running 14's most of the night, with a best of 13.9. I think that most subarus are too scared of breaking the weak trannies that it comes with. The cheapest upgrade costs 4k.

Oh and about the 2.5 rs impreza, they are actually pretty fast. A guy I met got consistent 2.0 second 60 foot times, and when I ran against him, I was almost even (faster by 0.1 sec to 1/8 mile) until I shifted into third, then pulled to a 15.3, and he got a 15.8 (with just intake and exhaust).
6184, RE: How do you AWD guys launch?

eclipse804 how much boost is the wrx come with stock...i heard somewhere like 13-14 psi...also the lancer evo got an better launch but the STi got better top speed...an in 1/4 it's more about top speed than launch...
6185, RE: How do you AWD guys launch?
Posted by icedout, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
the sti has more HP and torque it should be beating the stock EVO.
As for launching i launch at 4-5k rpm and slip the clutch, i don't drop it cause it has enough power to come out sideways and has happend before so i just slip it and have gotten my best runs that way. try all different rpm 3500 up and see where you launch best. As soon as you know it has the traction you can let the clutch out and you will be off but i don;t drop it and have been told by jeff hill not too unless you want a tranny before you need one
6186, RE: How do you AWD guys launch?
Thanks for the input guys. It's just too hard to judge my launch techniques unless I'm at the track. Stock boost is supposed to be around 13-14 psi, but the ECU limits it to about 9 in first and 12 in second gear. I think my best launches were when I slipped it from 5k rpms, but also revved it up as I slipped it, ending up at around 5500 rpms before I let out the clutch completely.

BTW, two evolutions and one STi were running 14's most of the night. I think the best was high 13's. When the wrx ran a 13.5, the evolution ran a 14.4 I believe. Also, this was at 1000 feet elevation in humid 80 degree weather.
6187, RE: How do you AWD guys launch?
yeah the 2.5rs n/t beat me, i was pissed as fawk. damn tho the 2doors have crazy ass launches. he got me 3 cars off the line and i almost pulled even at the finish.
6188, RE: How do you AWD guys launch?
Posted by eclipzGST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
my AWD is A/T. I launch it the same as my other car. Oh wait, I haven't had a chance to beat on it yet. :P

-Tony
98'GST (soon to be neglected)
92'TSI AWD (soon to be modded) ;)

eclipzgst@charter.net
http://eclipzgst.webhop.net
http://www.newengdsm.org/

turboclipz on AIM
6189, RE: How do you AWD guys launch?

chrysler kid if i was u race him long distance...u have an better chance of murdering him...2.5rs those things have an all-wheel launch an it's lighter with better displacement...
6190, RE: How do you AWD guys launch?
>
>
>chrysler kid if i was u race him long distance...u have an
>better chance of murdering him...2.5rs those things have an
>all-wheel launch an it's lighter with better displacement...

i know the 1/8th mile is wayy to short for me to get good times. i woul have slaughtered him from a roll tho
I generated this page in 0.015466928482056 seconds, executing 7 queries.