Go back to previous topic
Forum name4G63 Tech
Topic subjectWTF is this???
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=67&topic_id=598
598, WTF is this???
Posted by FlyinEsi, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
There is a box right here. I haven't traced all the lines that are coming in, but it is severely blocking the route where I need to run my intercooler piping. What is the box behind the bumper here, and can it be removed?

Thanks!

599, RE: WTF is this???
Posted by BigBald, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
sounds like an oil cooler. What color is it? Are the lines running to the oil filter housing?
600, RE: WTF is this???
Originally posted by BigBald
sounds like an oil cooler. What color is it? Are the lines running to the oil filter housing?

I thought the oil cooler was attached to the oil filter housing??? It is just a black box with like 4 lines running into it.
601, RE: WTF is this???
Posted by 97eclipse97, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by FlyinEsi
Originally posted by BigBald sounds like an oil cooler. What color is it? Are the lines running to the oil filter housing?
I thought the oil cooler was attached to the oil filter housing??? It is just a black box with like 4 lines running into it.

The oil cooler is attached to the filter housing, so that is not it. Where exactly is it located, and what kind of lines are running to it (hard lines, vaccuum lines...)? I have no clue what would have 4 lines running to it behind the bumper...
602, RE: WTF is this???
Posted by BigBald, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
What do you mean attached? The have lines running the the oil filter housing. Should only be two lines though....not 4.
603, RE: WTF is this???
It has hard lines running into it. I'll have to check how many when I get off work. I walked out to my car and looked real quick but I didn't have enough time left on my lunch break to spend any time there. It looks like it might be A/C related???? Any ideas? Someone else suggested it might be a charcoal canister, for the exhaust? WTF?

Any help is appreciated...I really need to relocated this box or run my piping all the way around it.
604, RE: WTF is this???
Posted by mike_d, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Evap canister maybe? I know on the NT's its on the passenger side not shure where they are on the 4G63s.
605, RE: WTF is this???
Posted by Jeff_99gs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
ABS is there on 2Gs. What kind of lines are running into it? Metal or rubber/plastic?
606, RE: WTF is this???
Posted by eclipzGST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Jeff_99gs
ABS is there on 2Gs. What kind of lines are running into it? Metal or rubber/plastic?

Thats probably what is is. I didn't have ABS so there was no "black box" either. My chiltons is out in the garage and I don't feel like running out there. But 4 lines, four wheels... sounds about right to me.
607, RE: WTF is this???
Posted by destruckeclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yup, manual says its part of the ABS system.
608, RE: WTF is this???
Posted by RST95eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have reason to believe that it is a transmission cooler. My automatic has it in the same spot. It's black and one of the hardlines runs from it in-back of the radiator to the other side of the car, then angles up towards the transmission, correct?
609, RE: WTF is this???
Posted by Jeff_99gs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by RST95eclipse
I have reason to believe that it is a transmission cooler. My automatic has it in the same spot. It's black and one of the hardlines runs from it in-back of the radiator to the other side of the car, then angles up towards the transmission, correct?

That is only on Auto cars though.
610, RE: WTF is this???
Posted by DSMxTSi, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yep, sounds like the ABS box. I thought it was little higher though. I doubt you really want to relocate that, unless you delete the entire ABS system.
611, RE: WTF is this???
Posted by RST95eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
My ABS box is bronze colored and is as close to the front fender as you can get (if this is giving you trouble, then I think that the power steering canister is as well). If that's what's giving you trouble, why don't you run your plumbing under the frame rail to goes to support the front bumper to avoid all of that mess?
I generated this page in 0.010097026824951 seconds, executing 7 queries.