Go back to previous topic
Forum name4G63 Tech
Topic subjectACK!!!
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=67&topic_id=4142
4142, ACK!!!
Posted by Diceman19, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
of course, i thought my timing problems were all fixed, then i shred an alternator belt. then i thought my problems were all fixed, and i shred another alternator belt. i hate this car. this time i got some clanking noise and increased in speed when i revved the car. it went away once i heard the belt slice away though. that makes me think it is the big center pulley is not tight some how and was rocking back and forth until the belt shredded. i really hate this car. any ideas?
4143, RE: ACK!!!
i think i figured it out....she is on her period....

but really guys? where are my suggestive replies?!
4144, RE: ACK!!!
Posted by Hult250R, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Ive heard of one of the pulleys (i think its the crank pulley) coming apart. The outer pulley almost like it comes unwelded from the inner pulley, maybe this could be it. Or maybe she just needs a box of Tampons :thumbsup

~Luke
4145, RE: ACK!!!
box of tampons most likely. i think i have found the problem. the alternator pulley that sits next to the power steering pulley right underneath the motor mount, are not sitting next to each other. they are about a half inch apart. that makes the alt belt go crooked a little. the first time i shredded it, the belt was hanging off the alternator and at the close side of the pulley. this time, the pulley was making hecka noise and once the belt shredded it stopped, and the belt was sitting at the rear of the pulley and the front of the alternator(thus making the belt straight again). i think the clanking noise was the belt wobbling the pulley around. oh well, it is apart but i am getting ready to eat some chili so it will have to wait for about 1/2 an hour. :thumbsup hopefully, this will be the last time she bleeds for a while, the cost of tampons and the clean up time is killing me!! nothing else could really go wrong with this car cept skipping about 15 teeth and bending my valves, this has been one of the worst experiences in my life working on this car. i do think problems are happening because of hurried work though. i am taking my sweet time doing this, i have been at it for about 1.5 hours and have just now gotten it apart.(just pulled the motor mount off, pulled the turbo heat shield off, pulled one fan out, took the alt belt off, pulled timing belt inspection cover off) ha ha.
4146, RE: ACK!!!
Posted by Hult250R, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
arent the 2 pulleys youre talking about supposed to be next to each other? Did you put the outer one on backwards?
anyway... get her a bulk sized box of super absorbent tampax and hopefully all will be well
BTW... I had a 91 GST that was Identical to your GSX :thumbsup

~Luke
4147, RE: ACK!!!
the sick part is, that is exactly what the problem was. the outer pulley was on backwards. i will not place blame on myself nor magicalevil because that pulley looks the same from both ways pretty much, i woulda mixed it up too probly. anyways, i got the new alternator belts for free so i was only out my time...*shrug* she purrs like a kitten again. one question though, i pulled the heat shield for the turbo off, now i hear a little bit of a whine, almost like a fuel pump whine, but from the front. i am thinking it is alternator noise that i didnt hear earlier because of that heat shield. if i wanted to take off the upper heat shield, where could i run the 02 sensor wire? it runs on top and i dont think it should be touching the exhaust manifold...chock full of questions, will the heat affect anything on the car. i know the oil dipstick is close to the turbo, the oil filter is close to the DP, the alternator is close to the turbo as well. i am assuming having those heat shields off will not affect any of those items, i have seen other people run without those heat shields. i also know you would have to take them off to run bigger turbos. maybe i just worry waaaaayyyy to much!!

btw, i found an exhaust leak, and i thought my car was fast now, i cant wait to fix that leak!!!:thumbsup }(
4148, RE: ACK!!!
Posted by Jeff_99gs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Just leave the heat shield on :)
4149, RE: ACK!!!
too late now, it was such a hastle to take it off, no point in putting it back on, plus, when i get enough supporting mods to run a 20g, the shield wont fit anymore.:shrug

so now, following the chain of events, i have a small faint swoosh swoosh swoosh swoosh swoosh that moves with my engine while it revolves. boo. i dont think it is anything big because it is very quiet. maybe a belt just needs tightened. we will see. i really am getting tired of this car...
4150, RE: ACK!!!
The heatshield over the exhaust manifold or the lower one?
4151, RE: ACK!!!
Originally posted by Diceman19
i really am getting tired of this car...

It is 14 years old. It will have its issues.

4152, RE: ACK!!!
the lower heat shield, the one that goes over the turbo itself. and maybe it will have problems, but i am having more than i should for a simple timing belt change. the sick part is, most of the trouble i am having is with acc belts. first the auto tensioner failed, then we put the outer drive pulley on backwards and it was shredding alt belts, now it is making a slight faint noise that i dont know what it is. this latest problem is probly not that big a deal if anything at all. you know how your ears are more sensitive to sounds when you are working on your own car. ha ha. thanks for joining up jeff, wondered if you were gonna show up. :thumbsup i would take a vid clip, but you probly wouldnt be able to hear it, yep, it really is that soft. hmmm...
4153, RE: ACK!!!
Originally posted by Diceman19
thanks for joining up jeff, wondered if you were gonna show up.

I was out of town for a few days. I'm back now though. (though much less than before thanks to the new job...)

No offense here, but all these problems that are causing you to hate the car were not exactly the car's fault :)

Diceman: "Ok, time to put this pulley on now."
Evil 90 GSX: "Dude, I'm SO gonna make him put that thing on backwards...this is gonna be hilarious"

:D
4154, RE: ACK!!!
Originally posted by Jeff_99gs
Originally posted by Diceman19 thanks for joining up jeff, wondered if you were gonna show up.
I was out of town for a few days. I'm back now though. (though much less than before thanks to the new job...) No offense here, but all these problems that are causing you to hate the car were not exactly the car's fault :) Diceman: "Ok, time to put this pulley on now." Evil 90 GSX: "Dude, I'm SO gonna make him put that thing on backwards...this is gonna be hilarious" :D

thats the sick part about this car, it does that. ha ha ha.
4155, RE: ACK!!!
Posted by eclipzGST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Jeff_99gs
Originally posted by Diceman19 i really am getting tired of this car...
It is 14 years old. It will have its issues.

I'll take it off your hands and save you some possible troubles later... :P

4156, RE: ACK!!!
sell it to ya real cheap. 10k will take her home with you today, problems and all. :P

sorry, i spent 9 months looking for this dumb car, cant let her go now...

oh yea, i have found this swoosh sound to only happen when the engine is fully warm and has been run for about 10 min or so. i am thinking it is maybe a normal engine sound now. it did seem to get a little louder so i will have to keep an ear on it.
4157, RE: ACK!!!
Posted by thedawg, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
The crank pulley is well known to come apart. Theres a rubber damping section in the middle of it that disintegrates over time.

Hehhe, I put a pulley on backwards too :( Ended up pulling the motor back out to get it put on right. HUGE x( x( DOH!!!

Can you spot what's wrong with this pic? :nono
4158, RE: ACK!!!
besides that it looks like a bolt is missing from your crank pulley, yes i can. you have the pulleys mixed up at the top. my situation was different than that. i actually had them in the right order, just the alt pulley was flipped over the other way.
I generated this page in 0.0095338821411133 seconds, executing 7 queries.