Go back to previous topic
Forum name4G63 Tech
Topic subjectSomeone Upstairs is pissed
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=67&topic_id=4025
4025, Someone Upstairs is pissed
Posted by Vandy420a, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Ok, someone, somewhere, is really really pissed at me for some reason and feels I dont' need a vacation I guess. Tonight my clutch started slipping after 2 short 3rd gear pulls to see if I was still running stupid lean.

Its a 2100 w/an XACT flywheel, and i've only had them for 3 MONTHS! I don't drive like an idiot (very often)}( ; i'm really pissed this is happening.

I also have to do a T-belt and possibly a head gasket over break :thumbsdown :thumbsdown

Question about the clutch is: Could this possibly be a one time occurrence, or since it slipped, is it pretty much cashed now?

I also have to drive from Nashville to Annapolis, MD on saturday w/a fair amoutn of stuff, not a full car, but not light either....

Is it foolish to do it on this clutch?

It bucked once, and right before I disengaged it it bucked then slipped...

Thanks,
Vandyx(
4026, RE: Someone Upstairs is pissed
Posted by Diceman19, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i say if it slipped, it will only get worse until it doesnt hold anymore. as far as timing belt, easy, i have done it now like 4 times on my one car for one change. long story. anyways, i can do it in like 3.5 hours or so if i get on it and start ripping away like a madman. :-)

you may check for a warranty on that clutch....:thumbsup
4027, RE: Someone Upstairs is pissed
Yeah i decided to just do TB I think over break and take my chances w/the clutch until I can get some more $$$. Checked ACT's warrantee, its 90 days, and the clutch is about 100 days old x( x( x(

I wonder how good ACT is with that kinda thing---I also suspect the flywheel wasn't installed correctly, as for the most part I took good care of that clutch and 3 months is just straight up ridiculous. Live and Learn, I guess...

Vandy

P.S. The clutch seems to be holding pretty well right now, esp. when I dont' go full throttle, so i'm wondering now If I undo a coupla mods (airbox, set boost to lowest possible), if I can prolong it.

Will doing this, if I never go full throttle, still tear up my flywheel?
4028, RE: Someone Upstairs is pissed
Posted by Diceman19, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
dont know about the flywheel but you will def preserve the clutch if you turn the boost down, you dont necessarily undo any mods, just turn down the boost. you may try to get em on the clutch anyways, they may feel bad for you and replace it anyways. :thumbsup
4029, RE: Someone Upstairs is pissed
Posted by Jeff_99gs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I've slipped the hell out of my clutch many many times, and it was still alive when I put in a new disc after one of the springs fell apart. ACT clutches are known for slipping, and then coming right back to life. They can get a little glazed, then slip, then they will be back after normal driving. It is pretty weird. Just give it time.
4030, RE: Someone Upstairs is pissed
Sweet, thanks!

Oh, I cant turn down the boost past 14psi w/my profec B, it SUX, but I suppose it'll be money in the long run.....

RIght now i've got the profec B on " 0% " with " 0% gain" and with the Limiter starting at 1psi at " 99%".....brought me down from 15psi to 14......:thumbsdown
I generated this page in 0.010818958282471 seconds, executing 7 queries.