Go back to previous topic
Forum name4G63 Tech
Topic subjectRWD DSM
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=67&topic_id=3093
3093, RWD DSM
Posted by qc dsm tsi, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I know this has come up a few times, and ive searched but I have a specific question.

I was wondering if you can use, say the Mighty Max pickups tranny and selectable t-case to make a selectible awd/rwd dsm??

Has this been done, I understand this will take a ton of work, but I was just curious??

It would be just bad ass to be able to switch from AWD to RWD!!!
3094, RE: RWD DSM
Posted by eclipzGST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Got lots of time?
Got LOTS of money?
Anything's possible...
3095, RE: RWD DSM
Posted by 420AYE, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
someone make a writeup already. damn.
3096, RE: RWD DSM
Posted by BigBald, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Email Brent Rau....I am sure he can help you....
3097, RE: RWD DSM
Posted by FlyinEsi, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Okay, I am a super-nOOb, even about my own AWD, and I grew up around trucks, so tell me if this is possible.

I haven't even looked at the AWD system, it works, so why worry about it, but I'm assuming there is a shaft going to the front transfer case...could that shaft simply be taken out, a new spline made to fit into the transfer case, and then simply not have the shaft going to anything. Just like a stub hanging off the transfer case and spinning?

Of course some way of keeping it inside the housing is a must, but is this even a possibility for a ghetto RWD conversion?
3098, RE: RWD DSM
Posted by qc dsm tsi, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by eclipzGST
Got lots of time? Got LOTS of money? Anything's possible...

yea, i understand that. I was wondering if this has been done??

This would be something I would love to do, really just to do it, but I know I will prob never do it.

About the selective t case. Hasnt this been done, im almost positive Ive seen it come up before. I think it was FWD and AWD?
3099, RE: RWD DSM
Posted by Mr Pink, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by qc dsm tsi
About the selective t case. Hasnt this been done, im almost positive Ive seen it come up before. I think it was FWD and AWD?

I think the Japanese Galants had the selective AWD<->FWD t-case.

3100, RE: RWD DSM
Posted by Jeff_99gs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
The engine has to be rotated 90 degrees in the engine bay with a RWD transmission (any can work with an adaptor plate as long as the shifter fits in the correct area of the cabin), and a different rear end has to be fabricated to fit the car.

Not exactly something done on a weekend. Every single RWD DSM uses an upgraded rear end for drag racing (i.e. 9" Ford rear).

The stock transfer case and rear can not support the torque loads needed for a RWD car.
3101, RE: RWD DSM
Posted by eclipzGST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by FlyinEsi
Okay, I am a super-nOOb, even about my own AWD, and I grew up around trucks, so tell me if this is possible. I haven't even looked at the AWD system, it works, so why worry about it, but I'm assuming there is a shaft going to the front transfer case...could that shaft simply be taken out, a new spline made to fit into the transfer case, and then simply not have the shaft going to anything. Just like a stub hanging off the transfer case and spinning? Of course some way of keeping it inside the housing is a must, but is this even a possibility for a ghetto RWD conversion?

I thought you were barred from replying to posts that have to do with anything more technical than changing an o2 sensor... :P
3102, RE: RWD DSM
:blahblah

FYI: In case you didn't read any more of my posts...it wasn't an o2 sensor problem...if I had taken all of 2gnt's advice, I would have spent $160 on new o2s and still had a problem. :P
3103, RE: RWD DSM
Posted by JReynosa, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Maybe you should talk to this guy he has a 455 in his Talon. That would make for a nice rwd DSM. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/member.php?userid=18236
3104, RE: RWD DSM
:blahblah FYI: In case you didn't read any more of my posts...it wasn't an o2 sensor problem...if I had taken all of 2gnt's advice, I would have spent $160 on new o2s and still had a problem. :P

hahaaha.....how were we supposed to no it never dawned on you to reset all your settings and see what happens. When most people give advice, they assume you would eliminate all the obvious solutions on your own. When you post a question on the board...that usually mean you are fresh out of options and ideas and need help beyond that. YOu never even thought ot check the obvious.....whose fault is that really......
3105, RE: RWD DSM
Originally posted by BigBald
Originally posted by FlyinEsi :blahblah FYI: In case you didn't read any more of my posts...it wasn't an o2 sensor problem...if I had taken all of 2gnt's advice, I would have spent $160 on new o2s and still had a problem. :P
hahaaha.....how were we supposed to no it never dawned on you to reset all your settings and see what happens. When most people give advice, they assume you would eliminate all the obvious solutions on your own. When you post a question on the board...that usually mean you are fresh out of options and ideas and need help beyond that. YOu never even thought ot check the obvious.....whose fault is that really......

You obviously didn't pay much attention to what you were reading either Jerrome. The problem had nothing to do with my settings either. A plug had come out of the PCM computer causing the car to run like shit. Afterwards, mitsubishi reset my ecu and my settings which I adjusted before I posted back on the board with anything.

You all need to take some reading and comprehension classes.
3106, RE: RWD DSM
SHE'S ALIVE, SHE'S ALIVE!! I took the car out tonight, first time since I got it back from mitsu. Car was totally running like ass, but I found out why. When they got under the car they unplugged the ECU. In doing so it reset all of my fuel settings and set everything to +/- 0. Got everything adjusted after 6-7 runs and now the car is running much better, but still not up to where it was.

Sorry about the freak-out guys, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was.

these are your exact words.....Is there hidden text in there somewhere?
3107, RE: RWD DSM
Again, comprehension...you are putting things in the wrong order

1) I had a problem, asked for help
2) 2gnters suggested replacing o2
3) I went to mitsubishi, found cord unplugged from PCM
4) Mitsubishi resets ECU and my settings
5) I fixed my settings
6) Posted about success

I really don't feel the need to go into any more detail with this pissing match with you. Misunderstanding on your part, lack of knowledge on my part, I'll admit it. Let's both just drop it and walk away, this isn't worth e-arguing over.

How about this? I will try to stop asking stupid questions, and you stop reading my posts.
3108, RE: RWD DSM
Posted by 420AYE, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
. Who cares? yay, wasted bandwidth.
3109, RE: RWD DSM
Originally posted by 420AYE
. Who cares? yay, wasted bandwidth.

I am assuming the person who wanted to know about the RWD DSM.
I generated this page in 0.0093331336975098 seconds, executing 7 queries.