Go back to previous topic
Forum name4G63 Tech
Topic subjectTo go darkside, or to not go darkside... That is my question
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=67&topic_id=3071
3071, To go darkside, or to not go darkside... That is my question
Posted by 420AYE, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Aight, i live in a place where it snows 4 feet every year, sledder's paradise, and i have my fwd 2g. The last 2 winter's i've ran or wrecked into something no matter what. i need awd pretty bad, and i was wantin to get a 92 gsx... I am a complete and utter 1g noob, and i can't seem to find anything in the search. maybe i suk at searching abooot 1g's, but any of you experienced veterans, tell me if a gsx/tsi awd could be a decent daily driver. what to look for, what to look out for, common issues, places to spot problems when i go look at cars etc. THAAANX. I am very curious so points can be easily attained here. :thumbsup
3072, RE: To go darkside, or to not go darkside... That is my question
Posted by HybriDSM, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
First thing is first. If you get a 92, ask if it is a 6 bolt/4 bolt 92. That would be very good if it was.

1) Make sure the timing belt was changed around 70k miles assuming it's that high mileage (which it will certainly be)

2) Check compression on all cylinders and check for any significant leaks of oil, coolant, any other fluid.

3) Check the condition of the turbo by taking off the intake pipe and checking the fins for chips/damage and also checking for shaft play in the turbo. It should spin freely by hand if it is good shape.

4) When driving it, check that the transmission shifts freely, especially into second, and even third, gear. The trannies on these cars don't like abuse too much and second/thrid are usually the first to go.

5) Has the owner done all maintenance things such as regular oil and filter changes? Have the plugs been replaced recently? Is there any surface rust or noticable body damage beyond normal wear and tear?

Is it modded? Was it ever modded?

I'll try and come up with more as it comes to me.

Also, spend some time reading a few pages of this subforum and also some of the stickied topics in the tech sections at Talk and Tuners. Those are good places to start and search for any specific questions you may have.
3073, RE: To go darkside, or to not go darkside... That is my question
Originally posted by HybriDSM
First thing is first. If you get a 92, ask if it is a 6 bolt/4 bolt 92. That would be very good if it was. 1) Make sure the timing belt was changed around 70k miles assuming it's that high mileage (which it will certainly be) 2) Check compression on all cylinders and check for any significant leaks of oil, coolant, any other fluid. 3) Check the condition of the turbo by taking off the intake pipe and checking the fins for chips/damage and also checking for shaft play in the turbo. It should spin freely by hand if it is good shape. 4) When driving it, check that the transmission shifts freely, especially into second, and even third, gear. The trannies on these cars don't like abuse too much and second/thrid are usually the first to go. 5) Has the owner done all maintenance things such as regular oil and filter changes? Have the plugs been replaced recently? Is there any surface rust or noticable body damage beyond normal wear and tear? Is it modded? Was it ever modded? I'll try and come up with more as it comes to me. Also, spend some time reading a few pages of this subforum and also some of the stickied topics in the tech sections at Talk and Tuners. Those are good places to start and search for any specific questions you may have.

Your the first re receive points! w00ter.

First off, whats the significance between the 6/4, and what cars were those in? what car has the 4 bolt rear. i know the 1g has the 6bolt 4g, and the 2g has the 7 bolt, and if it isn't a 4 bolt, what is it?

Also, i hear so much about them leaking all the time, what seal/gasket usually goes wrong on them?
3074, RE: To go darkside, or to not go darkside... That is my question
Originally posted by 420AYE
Originally posted by HybriDSM My crap.
Your the first re receive points! w00ter. First off, whats the significance between the 6/4, and what cars were those in? what car has the 4 bolt rear. I know the 1g has the 6bolt 4g, and the 2g has the 7 bolt, and if it isn't a 4 bolt, what is it? Also, i hear so much about them leaking all the time, what seal/gasket usually goes wrong on them?

The 7 bolts are from 92.5-99 and 6 bolts are 90-92.5. 4 bolts started in 92 and went on up. The 92-92.5 have the 6/4 combo which is the better rear end (4 bolt - beefier) and the "better" engine (6 bolt - LOL CR4NKW41K LOLL). Don't buy into the whole crankwalk thing. I made an analogy about it before that I think is fitting. CW is like a mental illness. If your family has a history of it, everyone assumes you'll get it.

The 6/4s are fairly rare but are kinda cool to find out there.

The seals in the turbo go bad over time which is fairly common as the cars are old now. It's more a result of being used hard (as any turbo car should be used). Also, you hear about them leaking all the time because they are so old. Gaskets need to be replaced and all which is normal. Oil feed/return gaskets, coolant lines etc get old and need to be replaced. It's all cheap to do so the regular gaskets aren't a huge pain to deal with.
3075, RE: To go darkside, or to not go darkside... That is my question
anything else i should look out for?
3076, RE: To go darkside, or to not go darkside... That is my question
Posted by Vandy420a, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I say this every time someone asks this question, but get underneath the drivers side area and look for signs of aftermarket electrical stuff, like torn up wire loom, electrical tape instead of insulation on wires, etc. Thats a great sign as well that a car has been modded. Try to find modding steps that are a pain in the ass/not worth while to change back, like a shifter kit or a rewired fuel pump.

Finally, check that frame out!!!!!!! No doors should rub, minimal rust, etc.

And also what hybrid said above regarding the trannies. If a tranny is on its way out you will have to send it away to get rebuilt, and will probably not be able to find one in good condition at a junkyard, so make sure it is reflected in the price.
3077, RE: To go darkside, or to not go darkside... That is my question
whats a good price range for a non leaking, ~100k-120k gsx? or tsi awd...
3078, RE: To go darkside, or to not go darkside... That is my question
Posted by eclipzGST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 420AYE
whats a good price range for a non leaking, ~100k-120k gsx? or tsi awd...

you can find them varying from a few hundred dollars to 5 thousand depending on condition and mileage.
Since "deals" are usually found because of small problems, look to spend at least 2K for a decent car with few mechanical/visual issues.
Shop around and don't jump on the first car you find. Have someone in the know check it out for you.
Since you want it for daily/winter beater, look for a low mileage car with no mechanical problems that maybe has a few cosmetic issues. It may look crappy but will be reliable and won't cost a ton...
3079, RE: To go darkside, or to not go darkside... That is my question
Posted by Malenko, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I agree with everythign said above. I got my 1GNT so cheap that I couldnt pass it up :)

I hate to say it but your best bet is T00ners, they have alot of 1G AWD in the classified sections, and typically the 4G63 owners on that site know their cars pretty well.

Id say an average 1GAWD (one god lol) is around 2500 in good running shape. The better ones with les milage tend to go up to around 3500.

If you have the time and know-how you can get one with some problems for a little over a grand.
3080, RE: To go darkside, or to not go darkside... That is my question
i found a 94 awd talon that has 73k original miles, apparently a rebuilt motor a few months ago, its completely stock (now) and has an act 2600 and a walbro fuel pump. it needs a new windshield and hood cuz apparently the latch failed and flew up. he wants 3000 for it like it is, and i asked him if there were any leaks, he said no, he said he fixed the water pump because there was a coolant leak, but not now... said the gears don't grind, and he's about 6 hours away. how much and how hard to get a hood/windshield for this thing? any plus's or cons on a 94? they are the 7 bolt right, and no chance of it walking? here is the site. http://www.geocities.com/jesses_talon_tsi_awd/jessespictures.html its the teal color and he said he'd throw in a MBC in with it, and said he got it to 13.5 by turning the boost to 15 psi. had a maf-t bla bla.... what do you guys think. i won't be able to afford it for like a month or so... EDIT: its not leather inside either. and said its been sittin in his garage for a couple months or somethin.
3081, RE: To go darkside, or to not go darkside... That is my question
Posted by Vandy420a, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Looks like its in pretty good condition, but I am a bit concerned about the stuff on the passenger side firewall...

Anyone have any idea what that is?

It also seems a little pricey for one that's been modded. CHeck the turbo for shaft play and see if you can get it for less b/c of the mods....

keep in mind, if he's got a 2600 on it the tranny very well could be on its way out, you never know...
3082, RE: To go darkside, or to not go darkside... That is my question
Posted by loudgs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
dude....decent air intake box, but fuck.....duct tape GHETTO style, however it's a 1g...you will be using duct tape and lots and lots of zip ties ;)
3083, RE: To go darkside, or to not go darkside... That is my question
Posted by 95GSEclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Im about to go to the dark side to...but keep my 2g....Im looking at a 92 gsx with the 4 bolt rear, but its apart....motors out, needs trans, transfer, front axles, turbo, exhuast mani, exhuast, rad, tb, intercooler and some other stuff. The body is mint and the interior is good and he wants 1500 but im talkin him down and im at 1100 so far....how are these things in the snow?
3084, RE: To go darkside, or to not go darkside... That is my question
Originally posted by 95GSEclipse
Im about to go to the dark side to...but keep my 2g....Im looking at a 92 gsx with the 4 bolt rear, but its apart....motors out, needs trans, transfer, front axles, turbo, exhuast mani, exhuast, rad, tb, intercooler and some other stuff. The body is mint and the interior is good and he wants 1500 but im talkin him down and im at 1100 so far....how are these things in the snow?

Seriously, that thing should be a three digit number. Jeff and I bought mine for 1000 with everything in it. Engine and tranny were shot but all the parts were in the car still at least.

Good luck man. Welcome to the darkside (hopefully).
3085, RE: To go darkside, or to not go darkside... That is my question
Posted by 95GSEclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
ive been talkin him down abit. I should be able to get about it for about 1000. I took a bunch of pics of it while i was down there. Ill have to see how much for all the other parts..
I generated this page in 0.014027118682861 seconds, executing 7 queries.