Go back to previous topic
Forum name4G63 Tech
Topic subjectTurbo squeeling? not the belts
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=67&topic_id=12061
12061, Turbo squeeling? not the belts
Posted by lickscissors, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
my girlfriend has a 97 gsx that was wrecked and we are working on.... when you start it up it makes a squeeling noise when you rev it....it goes away once its warmed up...i just tightened up the belts, but i swear it is comming from the turbo....anyone know what this is??
doug
12062, RE: Turbo squeeling? not the belts
Posted by eclipzGST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
check the turbo for shaft play. Could be shot.
12063, RE: Turbo squeeling? not the belts
lets not say that....i think i figured it out...the oil inlet pipe is kinked from the wreck....im in the process of replacing it...but do you think i did any damage to the turbo? i only drove it about 10miles max since the wreck
doug
12064, RE: Turbo squeeling? not the belts
Posted by Diceman19, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i would say probly. the oil is what lubricates the wheel so that it doesnt grind and make noise. i would double check that beast for shaft play and it may need rebuilt as much as you dont want to think about it. oil starvation is the number one killer of engines and turbos IMO.
12065, RE: Turbo squeeling? not the belts
Yup, that "squealing" was dry bearings. Pull off the inlet and check it for play. Hopefully you didn't do too much damage. Even if it still feels pretty tight, it probably won't last very long...
12066, RE: Turbo squeeling? not the belts
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! i fixed that oil line.... checked for shaft play...none (maybe a very, very, very small amount)...but nothing that would seem out of the ordinary....the other thing that i did was changed the timing belt....someone said i might of tightened it too much? i cant tell where exactly the noise is comming from, but i could convince myself either way...any other ideas??
doug
12067, RE: Turbo squeeling? not the belts
Posted by SaberKhan, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Diceman19
i would say probly. the oil is what lubricates the wheel so that it doesnt grind and make noise. i would double check that beast for shaft play and it may need rebuilt as much as you dont want to think about it. oil starvation is the number one killer of engines and turbos IMO.

The compressor wheel itself isnt lubricated. What is oiled is the bearing(s) that the shaft rides in/on. In all actuality, dirt is the number 1 killer of engines. From poor cleaning during assembly and from infrequent oil changes.

12068, RE: Turbo squeeling? not the belts
Originally posted by SaberKhan
Originally posted by Diceman19 i would say probly. the oil is what lubricates the wheel so that it doesnt grind and make noise. i would double check that beast for shaft play and it may need rebuilt as much as you dont want to think about it. oil starvation is the number one killer of engines and turbos IMO.
The compressor wheel itself isnt lubricated. What is oiled is the bearing(s) that the shaft rides in/on. In all actuality, dirt is the number 1 killer of engines. From poor cleaning during assembly and from infrequent oil changes.

you know what i meant by the lubrication stuff though.....;-) if he was asking for the "technical" answer, i probly wouldnt have said anything because i still consider myself ultra turbo n00b.

after you have unclogged that oil line, is it still making the noise. i was under the impression that it had gone away. i dont think having the timing belt too tight would make a squeak, i thought only loose belts squeak. i dont believe the timing belt can even squeak because it has teeth. i dont think belts with teeth can squeak....:shrug
12069, RE: Turbo squeeling? not the belts
yeah, but the tensioner pulley it rides on could be squeeking...but i dont think thats what it is anymore....im starting to lead towards the belts again....but they are definitely tight, but it sounds like its comming from over there...could it be a waterpump??? i think im going to have to pull the belts back off and see if it changes anything....but its such a bitch on that car to get to the alternator and shit....ill let you know what happens
doug
12070, RE: Turbo squeeling? not the belts
take off the turbo heat shield and the driver side radiator fan, now it is 500% easier to get to the alternator. that heat shield is a bish. mine is a little mangled but i had no intention of putting it back on since i will have to remove them when i upgrade the turbo anyway...
12071, RE: Turbo squeeling? not the belts
Posted by Skillionaire, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
When the car is making the noise, stick your head down by the drivers-side wheel-well. If the noise is noticibly loud from down there, its probably your crank pully seperating. Mine made an awful squealing noise when cold before it went out.
12072, RE: Turbo squeeling? not the belts
aftermarket lightend crankpulley is installed...does that make any difference...i guess i forgot to mention that..
what do you mean by seperating....
doug
12073, RE: Turbo squeeling? not the belts
Posted by Skillionaire, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
The OEM pulley has rubber that connects both rings of the pulley. Overtime it gets hard and eventually breaks apart, letting the two rings move independantly of each other. If you have an Aftermarket pulley, its probably undampened so you dont have to worry about it.
12074, RE: Turbo squeeling? not the belts
Originally posted by Skillionaire
If you have an Aftermarket pulley, its probably undampened so you dont have to worry about it.

I thought thats exactly why you're NOT supposed to use an aftermarket pulley?
I generated this page in 0.014841079711914 seconds, executing 7 queries.