Go back to previous topic
Forum name4G63 Tech
Topic subjectSqeaky belt
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=67&topic_id=12042
12042, Sqeaky belt
Posted by Mattcky2k, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
in the past week or so i've been noticing a sqeaky belt under the hood and didn't think to much of it cause usally after about 2-3 minutes it would quit but now it does it all the time. it's loudest when i first start up the car and get's louder as i go faster. anyway it seems to be coming from the power steering belt but it could be the altenator belt since there so close together. but my question is should i replace the belt or does the pulley need to be replaced or just some kind of lubricant put on it? thanks guys.
12043, RE: Sqeaky belt
Posted by EvMan2345, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
the belt prob needs to be tightened or replaced. Heres a trick to find which belt is doing it. Start your car for about 5-7 seconds (make sure car is cool before doing this). Then turn your car off. Then go and touch each of the pulleys. The one that is warm is the one with the loose belt.

Evan B
97 GS
90 GSX
Stamford CT
EvMan2345@aol.com
12044, RE: Sqeaky belt
Posted by eclipzGST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Just spray some WD-40 on them. No more squeaks. :+
12045, RE: Sqeaky belt
Posted by Jeff_99gs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
It is most likely the alternator belt. Take the power steering and alt belt off, inspect them for wear, and install them again. Make them as tight as possible and the squeak should stop.
12046, RE: Sqeaky belt
Posted by HybriDSM, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Also, if it's just squeaky at idle, it's most likely alternator. If it's when you turn the wheel, it's PS belt. But like Jeff said, just pull em both, inspect them and replace them very tight. problem solved.
12047, RE: Sqeaky belt
Originally posted by HybriDSM
Also, if it's just squeaky at idle, it's most likely alternator. If it's when you turn the wheel, it's PS belt.

^^^ Good point. :thumbsup

12048, RE: Sqeaky belt
Posted by Mattcky2k, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
thanks for the help guys! :thumbsup but should i tighten them to the specifications that the haynes or chiltons manual says or just as tight as i can get them?
12049, RE: Sqeaky belt
The power steering belt only gets as tight as the amount of down force you put on the power steering pump. Make that as tight as possible, meaning have a really heavy friend lean on it with a pipe or crow bar while you tighten the bolts.

The alternator belt should be tight enough that there is no play. That is a screw type tensioner which is pretty easy to get to if you can remove the A/C fan.
I generated this page in 0.011776208877563 seconds, executing 7 queries.