Go back to previous topic
Forum name4G63 Tech
Topic subjectValve cover gasket?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=67&topic_id=11917
11917, Valve cover gasket?
Posted by Mattcky2k, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
ok haven't been able to post in a while cause my computer screwed up on me. anyway i still need to replace the VCG and i've read the write up on VFAQ and i also have the haynes manuals. but i have a question about the spark plug gaskets? it says something about them on the VFAQ but not the haynes manuals? do i need them and if so do you install them the same as the main gasket. also what is a good amout or a good way to measure on how much RTV you put on. this is gonna be my first time doing anything like this so please help. thanks.
11918, RE: Valve cover gasket?
Posted by BigBald, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
you may as well change both at the same time. THe is a piece of cake job and you should have no problems. Word of advice it to let the sealer dry before you put back in the plugs and wires and also make sure it is dry before you run the car. It is not good to do jobs twice.
11919, RE: Valve cover gasket?
Posted by HybriDSM, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
RTV should be applied in a steady thin line over all parts of the gasket. Cover everything, around every hole, along every part etc. Then smooth it out with your finger so it covers the whole surface, but not so you have to spread it really thin. It should ooze over a little bit when you press the gasket to the surface, which you then wipe away.

And replace all the gaskets while you're there. I am the master of knowing, it is better to do it once than twice, without a doubt. Take your tiem and do it right and you'll be happier in the long run.
11920, RE: Valve cover gasket?
Posted by Mattcky2k, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
thanks guys. i guess this would be a good time to change spark plugs too right? i have no clue when they've been changed so i guess i'll do that too.
I generated this page in 0.026309013366699 seconds, executing 7 queries.