Go back to previous topic
Forum name4G63 Tech
Topic subjectInstalling Walboro 255 tomorrow, Any tips?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=67&topic_id=11251
11251, Installing Walboro 255 tomorrow, Any tips?
Posted by Hult250R, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Im installing my FP tomorrow. Anyone thats done it have any tips? I went out today and sprayed everything down with PB Blaster. Im going to get a 19mm and a 14mm flare wrench tonite too, I dont wanna round off the fitting. Any tips or suggestions??

11252, RE: Installing Walboro 255 tomorrow, Any tips?
Posted by HybriDSM, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Make absolutely sure that your ground wire is clean metal to metal contact. Oh how I wish I had checked mine after the mechanic replaced my fuel tank while I was at college. Damn lean conditions.

Also, PB Blast the fuel line fitting a crap load because an older rusted line can just twist and shred before the threads let go unless you treated it well early, which it sounds like you did.

Other than that, follow the directions and make sure all the washers and grommets etc are in their correct place and all should be fine.
11253, RE: Installing Walboro 255 tomorrow, Any tips?
Posted by qc dsm tsi, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
luke, did u get the 16g in yet?? Give me a call when its all setup!
11254, RE: Installing Walboro 255 tomorrow, Any tips?
Posted by Jarrad_GST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Make sure you get the fuel pump rubber seal gasket in their correctly. Alotta time ppl have to go back and make sure its not in the way.

About the ground. I just sodered my ground wire to the stock Fuel Pump ground wire. Its in the bundle of wires taped up. Its the black one of course.

You might need to get underneath the car like I had to. The stock fuel line doesn't rotate. Its just stiff so you will have to jack the car and take off the fuel line off on the opposite side underneath the car.

Have Fun!
11255, RE: Installing Walboro 255 tomorrow, Any tips?
Posted by Remy, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
what ground wire are you talking about ? My fp came with a harness. Just plug and play .
Maybe the diffrent years (95)have something to do with it ?

www.dsmlife.com
11256, RE: Installing Walboro 255 tomorrow, Any tips?
Posted by Jarrad_GST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hmmm... I dont know I have a 97. I had a relay, that was the only plugging in I did. The rest I have to soder. Hmmm.. Thats awesome you had a harness that came with yours. I bought a used fuel pump off someone on 2gnt and then bought a fuel pump rewire off ebay and hooked the shit up.

Well, I guess there is two ways to install a walbro FP
11257, RE: Installing Walboro 255 tomorrow, Any tips?
Yay! No cussing involved...
I got the fuel line off no prob, Except the giant gash on my knuckles from when she let loose...
Oh ya, and the fact that 2 of the studs that hold the entire assembly into the tank broke off :wallbash Theyre on opposite sides so hopefully it wont cause a leaking prob.
Im gonna start puttin it back together now...
Ill be back to post results in a couple hours!
11258, RE: Installing Walboro 255 tomorrow, Any tips?
Got the FP and my 16G in about a half hour ago.
Took her out for a spin and now I know i need more mods...
it didnt do much
Ive got the mods in my sig plus a modded 02 housing for an external dump
ported wastegate and the 35mm flapper mod on the 16G
and the walbro 255 i put in tonight.
all on stock injectors and stock SMIC
Looks like i save some more $ for a FMIC, Injectors and a S-AFC

Is there much difference between the S-AFC and S-AFC II??
11259, RE: Installing Walboro 255 tomorrow, Any tips?
Originally posted by Hult250R
Yay! No cussing involved... I got the fuel line off no prob, Except the giant gash on my knuckles from when she let loose... Oh ya, and the fact that 2 of the studs that hold the entire assembly into the tank broke off :wallbash Theyre on opposite sides so hopefully it wont cause a leaking prob. Im gonna start puttin it back together now... Ill be back to post results in a couple hours!

To be honest and blunt:

Chances are, you will leak fuel next time you fill up. I broke one stud off after removing my fuel sending unit, and it leaked like a sieve when I filled up for the first time. The whole system is heavily pressurized, so even one small undone area will lead to a major leak.

Sorry, but I really think you're gonna need a new tank unless you have a miracle happen.
11260, RE: Installing Walboro 255 tomorrow, Any tips?
Originally posted by HybriDSM
Originally posted by Hult250R Yay! No cussing involved... I got the fuel line off no prob, Except the giant gash on my knuckles from when she let loose... Oh ya, and the fact that 2 of the studs that hold the entire assembly into the tank broke off :wallbash Theyre on opposite sides so hopefully it wont cause a leaking prob. Im gonna start puttin it back together now... Ill be back to post results in a couple hours!
To be honest and blunt: Chances are, you will leak fuel next time you fill up. I broke one stud off after removing my fuel sending unit, and it leaked like a sieve when I filled up for the first time. The whole system is heavily pressurized, so even one small undone area will lead to a major leak. Sorry, but I really think you're gonna need a new tank unless you have a miracle happen.

Noooo!!!!!!
Did you have to get a new tank?? If so how much was it?
The fuel tank is pressurized too??
Dammit Dammit Dammit

Im gonna fill up tonight and see...

11261, RE: Installing Walboro 255 tomorrow, Any tips?
Originally posted by Hult250R Yay! No cussing involved... I got the fuel line off no prob, Except the giant gash on my knuckles from when she let loose... Oh ya, and the fact that 2 of the studs that hold the entire assembly into the tank broke off :wallbash Theyre on opposite sides so hopefully it wont cause a leaking prob. Im gonna start puttin it back together now... Ill be back to post results in a couple hours!
To be honest and blunt: Chances are, you will leak fuel next time you fill up. I broke one stud off after removing my fuel sending unit, and it leaked like a sieve when I filled up for the first time. The whole system is heavily pressurized, so even one small undone area will lead to a major leak. Sorry, but I really think you're gonna need a new tank unless you have a miracle happen.
Noooo!!!!!! Did you have to get a new tank?? If so how much was it? The fuel tank is pressurized too?? Dammit Dammit Dammit Im gonna fill up tonight and see...

No idea how much the tank was, but I did need a new one since the stud is part of the tank itself. Luckily my dad covered it as a gift, but I do know for a fact that when i filled up all the way, it leaked like a fountain. The fuel tank certainly has pressure, since the fuel sending unit sucks fuel out under pressure, and it is a closed space, so pressure is created.

I wish you the best, and I hope there is no leak.
11262, RE: Installing Walboro 255 tomorrow, Any tips?
Noooo!!!!!! Did you have to get a new tank?? If so how much was it? The fuel tank is pressurized too?? Dammit Dammit Dammit Im gonna fill up tonight and see...
I wish you the best, and I hope there is no leak.

Me too....

11263, RE: Installing Walboro 255 tomorrow, Any tips?
One thing Jeff corrected me on tonight that I had a little mixed up is this: When driving, the tank is not pressurized, but when filling, up there is some pressure created by the air escaping versus gas going in which is what causes the leak. My mistake, but the outcome is the same, fill up = leaky.

That being said, hopefully your car didn't leak when you filled 'er up. let us know.
11264, RE: Installing Walboro 255 tomorrow, Any tips?
Posted by eclipzGST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
FP install on a 2G is nice and easy. :thumbsup
11265, RE: Installing Walboro 255 tomorrow, Any tips?
Originally posted by eclipzGST
FP install on a 2G is nice and easy. :thumbsup

2g fwd yes. :)
2g awd sux

www.dsmlife.com
11266, RE: Installing Walboro 255 tomorrow, Any tips?
Posted by Skillionaire, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Try draining the tank and crawling under the car to do a 1g FWD pump :thumbsdown
11267, RE: Installing Walboro 255 tomorrow, Any tips?
i did mine with a tank full of gas :thumbsup
Draining the tank is for chumps j/k

www.dsmlife.com
11268, RE: Installing Walboro 255 tomorrow, Any tips?
One thing Jeff corrected me on tonight that I had a little mixed up is this: When driving, the tank is not pressurized, but when filling, up there is some pressure created by the air escaping versus gas going in which is what causes the leak. My mistake, but the outcome is the same, fill up = leaky. That being said, hopefully your car didn't leak when you filled 'er up. let us know.

Its not leaking yet, I took it on a 2 hour road trip yesterday but I havent filled it up yet. I put in like $10 at a time so i wouldnt catch fire wile driving on the highway. Im gonna fill her up tomorrow
Ill keep ya posted.

EDIT: oh ya, when i put gas in it, the tank still made the sucking "vacuum" sound when i took off the gas cap so im hoping it still holds pressure
I generated this page in 0.0098650455474854 seconds, executing 7 queries.