Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Pits v3.1
Topic subjectRE: Anybody good with NTBackup on Win2k3?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=99&mesg_id=224
224, RE: Anybody good with NTBackup on Win2k3?
Posted by cougar694u, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Did you know that NTBackup is Backup Exec Lite, actually developed by Veritas?

I finally got it working where it doesn't care what tape's in it. Got rid of the /g swith, added /p "4mm DDS" /UM. Seems to be working the way I wanted it to work, but only time will tell.

The original problem I was having was that the backup data exceeded the uncompressed limit of the tape. Assuming that NTBackup doesn't utilize compression, I tried Backup Exec 10d. Unfortunately, it yeilded the exact same results, using either software or hardware compression. I later found that the data doesn't compress well, it's mostly PDF's, and other already compressed files, so there's no way the tapes will acheive the 72 GB compressed size.

NTBackup does have a checkbox to use hardware compression where available, but it didn't appear to be working, or maybe the tape drive isn't using compression. I assumed that since it's a Seagate DAT72, that a 36/72 tape would compress to 72 GB, but it won't even come close. If I exclude the PDF's, it compresses pretty well, squeezing 32 GB down to 22 GB.
I generated this page in 0.011813879013062 seconds, executing 6 queries.