Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Pits v3.1
Topic subjectWhat do you do for a living?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=5318
5318, What do you do for a living?
Posted by ScreaminE, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Just seeing what everyone does here for a living and seeing how much money you guys are pulling a year (if you dont mind to tell).

I am in my third year at the UNC-Charlotte college of engineering hoping to finish up my degree in Civil Engineering soon. Hopefully I can start out in the 45-50k rang in a year or so.
5319, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by Dualgen2, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I work a desk job in the service dept. at Land Rover.
5321, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by WIDECLIPSE, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I work the retail counter in the parts dept. at Toyota. I also have 2 other jobs working security at 2 night clubs. 3 jobs and I still don't make enough for shit.
5322, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by 95_ESi_Person, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Grad student at Eastern Illinois University in the School of Technology.... Studying Technology Management, I should be able to get out of here next december with a nice job (and as all of my profs say) it will be in management.

40-60k start supposedly.
5323, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by cougar694u, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Network Admin (less than a year) at EG&G, Inc. at the Kelly Dist. Ctr. in SA, TX, and don't make what most people in my position do. $18.62/hr

Benefits are okay, but I like the company, atmosphere, and co-workers.
5324, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by DR1665, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I work a mindless, generic job which is as challenging as deciding which section of the Summit catalog to browse while dropping a deuce. It pays just enough to survive and maybe toss a couple bones into the DSMs. Here's to Europe in 2007. :thumbsup
5326, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by Nine5eclipse03, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Lead teacher for school age children at a childcare, ages 5-12. Also work for family owned car lot part time, and going to college full time for Computer Designs.
5328, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by Blizare, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Used to work as a Graphic Designer at a Speedpro Signs Franchise.

Now I just opened up my own store in town so I don't know how much I'm making :P
5330, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by youkickedmydog, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Full time student at a shitty comunity college trying to get a transfer to a x-ray tech school. I also work at a retail chain for boating called boaters world. I make about 12,000 a year there.
5335, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by WIDECLIPSE, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Oh yea, fall 07' I go back to school full time. Then it's only 2 years until law school. Should be making bank when I get out of there.
5336, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by BlackMagic, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
full time engineering student at virginia tech, i've got a while to go before i start making money though
5338, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i manage the entire UNIX/Linux development environement for my company, as well as maintain several production ASP environments used by three of our clients. My responsibilities include maintenance and configuration of a large, (50+ server) very dynamic in-house mixed-platform and mixed-OS development environment, including Solaris on SPARC, Solaris on x86_64, HP-UX on PARISC, HP-UX on Itanium, Linux on x86_64, Linux on x86, and AIX on POWER. I am also currently responsible for all new UNIX/Linux app and database server deployments. I also do our laptop deployments and occasionally answer the helpdesk line when it rings.
5339, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by slooow, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
im a professional kiss ass
5340, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by injendsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
im a junior at Florida Gulf Coast University right now but i do work part time at a warehouse for Frito Lay. I make $11.50 an hour so my yearly income fluctuates, but i average around $19k a year.
5342, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by RSClipse9d7, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Full time student at Ithaca College majoring in Television Radio, Business Administration and Accounting with a minor in Legal Studies and possibly Economics. I have two more years left here before law school (hopefully Ivy League). After that I'm not really sure what I will do. I can go the easy root and start at $75k at an accounting firm on track to becoming a partner within 7 years making (on average in the Philly area) $450k, with a cap around $750k. I could start my own law/accounting firm and make an undetermined amount. Or, I could do almost anything else. The possiblities are almost endless if I pass the Bar and the CPA exam. All in good time, I'm not concerned yet.
5343, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by slooow, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
nice, i thought i was going to be well off with 2 jobs ~100k but damn dude, thats some serious cashage, oh and my last post wasnt serous, im currenty in a job transition from winter job to summer job, and then its college time
5348, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by coppereclipse95, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I work for Cummins Diesel, filtration segment. I graduated with electrical engineering degree, but working as mechanical engineer. My main customers are Komatsu, MHI, Isuzu, Daewoo, etc. I work on small 3.3L engines up to 46.3L. Seeing big engines makes me feel really small...
5350, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by Talontaxi, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Powersports (Motorcycles,atvs,etc.) Tech. 30k a year, first year doing it. Fully paid benefits, life insurance and so on. The only thing that comes out of my check is taxes. Its my dream job really, I spend at least an hour everyday if not more just test riding the stuff.
5351, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by Hult250R, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Machinist, Im the supervisor in the manual department at the shop I work at.
I like what I do, its cool to see a raw chunk of metal turn into a precision intricate part after you spent hours machining on it. Plus its nice to be in charge and have minions to do the bitch work :P
5352, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by optikal, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I paint cars for a living. It pays the bills....
5353, RE: What do you do for a living?
Sloow-I haven't done anything yet. It's just what the professors here are telling me. I mean, I believe them, but I'm still not counting my chickens.
5354, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by snufalufagus040, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Holy crap, the pits are back!

I do IT stuff for a digital surveilance company. Mostly building and configuring our backend servers, and taking tech support calls from customers. I also test our software before it goes prod, and spec out the builds for all of our servers, and PCs used by us. Occaisionally have to support our users here, too. I love spending all day spyware sweeping and uninstalling stuff... I think I should take these peoples' PCs away from them and just give them an abacus and a phone.

http://www.icop.com/

Watch the movie and you'll get it... Kinda cool job!

I make ~40k, which isn't bad for around here. Due for a huge raise though, since I solved a codec problem we had on Server 2003 platform that existed for months before I got here.

Good to see everyone back here again.

Nicholas
5358, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by joeck76, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Im a Stagehand and work for local 835 out of orlando, for those of you who dont know what that is i basically set up the convensions and concerts as well as movie sets. so yes i get to go to all the good shows, car show, nada, hot import nights,Nace, for free. hell most of the time im working them anyway. pay flucuates but as of now im in the 50k range and thats only for 6 months work out of the year, im june july and half of aug im unemployed and most of nov and december as well. so i guess its not a bad gig, easy work and easy money gotta love the unions.
5360, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by KaptainMyke, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i'm unemployed. anybody want to hire me?
5367, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by sonikbewm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Full time student at Wichita State University (Go Shockers in the NCAA tournament. LOL :P ) Finance major. I also work for a bank here in Wichita, KS.
5368, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by mike_d, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by KaptainMyke
i'm unemployed. anybody want to hire me?

Me too :wallbash
5369, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by EclipseTenzoR, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
U.S Navy! ATI (Aviation Electronics "I" Level) Working on various aircraft related electrical systems. Whether it be Navigation, Radar, Weapons, etc. It's brought to me I check it out... yup its broke, and I toss that shit in a pile for someone else to fix if I'm to lazy
5373, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by eclipse_99rs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Well i'm a Machinery Technician 2nd class in the Coast Guard. I work on various engines small gasoline to big diesels. I do search and rescue, I'm a 47' motor life boat engineer and training to be a law enforcement boarding officer.
5383, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by cs82685, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by RSClipse9d7
Full time student at Ithaca College majoring in Television Radio, Business Administration and Accounting with a minor in Legal Studies and possibly Economics. I have two more years left here before law school (hopefully Ivy League). After that I'm not really sure what I will do. I can go the easy root and start at $75k at an accounting firm on track to becoming a partner within 7 years making (on average in the Philly area) $450k, with a cap around $750k. I could start my own law/accounting firm and make an undetermined amount. Or, I could do almost anything else. The possiblities are almost endless if I pass the Bar and the CPA exam. All in good time, I'm not concerned yet.

Damn 3 majors and a minor that's crazy. I'm a 3rd year accounting student in the tri-state area and i've heard different estimates. 45k-55k depending on size of firm and you'll double your salary in 5 years at any of the big 4 firms. But i've also heard partner is at least 10 years away and starts at 250k and goes all the way up to 2 mill. All I know is its a great major to have a job before you start your senior year of college. I'm making $15/hr now and in the summer it will be $25/hr interning with one of the big four.
5386, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by Sitinlo, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i do plumbing and electrical work bringing in about 45-50 a year
5387, RE: What do you do for a living?
Originally posted by joeck76
Im a Stagehand and work for local 835 out of orlando, for those of you who dont know what that is i basically set up the convensions and concerts as well as movie sets. so yes i get to go to all the good shows, car show, nada, hot import nights,Nace, for free. hell most of the time im working them anyway. pay flucuates but as of now im in the 50k range and thats only for 6 months work out of the year, im june july and half of aug im unemployed and most of nov and december as well. so i guess its not a bad gig, easy work and easy money gotta love the unions.

hook me up w/ a job.
5392, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by gc8dc95, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I am a full time student majoring in biochemistry and math. With plans to go to grad school for a PhD in Pharmacolgoy/Toxicology. Right now I am in the Army National Guard and am on waiting to go to OCS next spring. I have no idea what I make, but it isnt much yet cause I dont work other than military benefits. When school is done expected starting wage is like $125k.
5394, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by SILVERNT, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Territorial Manager for Benjamin Moore Paints. I oversee 5 of our stores in the northwest suburbs. Make sure all stores are being run proporly and up to standard. I have 7 managers, 10 assistant managers, and over 50 employees that work under me. 90% of them are 20+ years older than me. I also get free tickets to any Chicagoland sports event, as well as a $500 per month entertainment allowance for customers. But all of us just spend it on ourselves. My job kicks ass.
5396, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by cs82685, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by SILVERNT
Territorial Manager for Benjamin Moore Paints. I oversee 5 of our stores in the northwest suburbs. Make sure all stores are being run proporly and up to standard. I have 7 managers, 10 assistant managers, and over 50 employees that work under me. 90% of them are 20+ years older than me. I also get free tickets to any Chicagoland sports event, as well as a $500 per month entertainment allowance for customers. But all of us just spend it on ourselves. My job kicks ass.

small world my girlfriends next door neighbor is their controller
5401, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by Erik, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have a BST in automotive/heavy equip. from Pittsburg State (KS). I just finished accepting a job in south FL as a fleet maint. engineer. I order parts, make sure techs are doing service intervals, and fix it if shit breaks on a worksite. Big cranes, D9's, D8's, and a bunch of other large equip. Around 50k is my starting pay. To all you guys driving on US-27 in miami, I'm the guy digging the big hole.
5412, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by kelvinb1, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
loan advisor at nelnet, commission during the season (may-early july) is over 5k a month. any other time its really not worth it :(
5413, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by Collente, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I do support for a company called Sonos.
We make the iPod for the house. Full home wireless digital music systems, with wireless controller. Check it out (sonos.com)

Its a great job for a great company and the stock/benefits kick ass.

Used to work as a Channel Sales rep but hated the travel.

5419, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by fauchpj, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I dont really mean to rain on anyone's parade, but all of you near graduation, dont listen to your professor's or your school's numbers for "salary requirements." They dont mean shit. Also, no new graduate starts out in management, none, I dont care what anyone says. It might be possible if you have a lot of prior experience, but not at 22/23.

btw, I graduated from Auburn with a BS in MIS and it was hard as hell to find a job. I work at the 3rd largest construction company in my state doing various IT work right now. But managers require so much experience that you can only gain on the job.
5421, RE: What do you do for a living?
I based my starting salary on what my friends have started out making...45-50k per year with a BA in Civil Engineering. I really havent heard a prof. say what he/she expects us to make.

5422, RE: What do you do for a living?
Originally posted by ScreaminE
I based my starting salary on what my friends have started out making...45-50k per year with a BA in Civil Engineering. I really havent heard a prof. say what he/she expects us to make.

that sounds reasonable for CE, at least around here
5436, RE: What do you do for a living?
I based the starting on what a professor told me and what a friend is going to make when she starts her job next year. Since they gave me the same numbers I am assuming they are good estimates.

5437, RE: What do you do for a living?
Originally posted by RSClipse9d7
I based the starting on what a professor told me and what a friend is going to make when she starts her job next year. Since they gave me the same numbers I am assuming they are good estimates.

profs told me that nobody in the last graduating class made under 50k starting. i dont make near that, and i know a lot of people that graduated with me make less. what exactly are you going to do? im just saying, dont get your hopes up when you dont get a 75k/yr job fresh out of school as an accountant. thats a lot of money for someone just entering the workforce. just something to think about...

5440, RE: What do you do for a living?
Sorry, I didn't make my message clear the first time. $75k is starting at one of the big accounting firms if I pass the Bar and CPA. Jobs at the big firms are easy to come by with the market the way it is (and hopefully will be). Sorry for the unclear message before.
5443, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by Graph-X, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I do helpdesk. That is all.
5449, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by jdpilot, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I pimp hoes..

Seriously though "45-50k per year with a BA in Civil ", not in New Hampshire. My buddy landed his second job and is making 35K. We have dirt cheap cost of living in NH.

I work as an indirect territory representative for US Cellular. I have 7 stores that I oversee. This last year I pulled in 51K. Then theres the gravy. Mileage reimbursement. I drive 2000 miles a month at $0.445 a mile. I also travel a lot. Primarily to Tulsa OK, Knoxville TN, Roanoke VA, Chicago IL, and Wilmington NC. I also have a corporate card that I use to swoon the clients with! Finally, They paid for most of my bachelors degree in Business. They cover all classes and supplies (books included) as long as you score a C or better! Going to start my masters in the fall. I love my job!
5471, RE: What do you do for a living?
45-50k is very possible here in Charlotte NC for a wet behind the ears CE in training, we are one of the quicker growing cities in the US and I may still be fresh out of school when I'm done but I have three years of solid summer intern work.

2 years working for a Land Surveyor.
1 year working in a soils lab.
5475, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by HybriDSM, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Copied from elsewhere:

Previous...
During college I worked two summers for the Baltimore Ravens in their marketing department. I worked on site at Training Camp and at all preseason games and a few regular season games basically interning coordinating corporate sponsor events with the team. That was OK. on the plus side I did get to watch every game I worked from the home team sideline. Runner passes are the best. I could go anywhere in the stadium anytime I wanted.

After graduating college, I worked for three months with the NFL Players' Association working, again, within the marketing department this time interning and working with superbowl and pro bowl related NFL Sponsors and preparing events etc for those "Bowls".

Let's just say absolutely none of my college education directly parlayed into a career field I desired to be in, be it football or my current field explained below. In retrospect though, "how" I learned in college proved to be much more valuable that "what" I learned.

Now...
After realizing that nepotism is the only real manner of advancement both on the team side and the league side of the NFL, I interviewed in the realm of commercial real estate. Since March 2004, I have worked in the commercial real estate field in Washington DC.

I spent 18 months doing retail leasing working on such accounts as Quizno's, Chipotle, Great Clips, and SunTrust Bank and also representing landlords as well leasing their shopping centers. Late last year I transitioned into a role I initially wanted to fill which is on the development side of things. I now work in development and acquisitions and basically oversee and work on every facet of buying a parcel of land, to getting a project designed and approved, to getting the project built and leased up with Tenants and operating.

The only reason I would leave this job is if the perfect dream opportunity of a lifetime presented itself, meaning I could devote full time to writing (which I do in my off time). I love what I am doing currently, even though basically no one ever can really understand what it is I do, even after explaining (no I'm not a house seller and I don't wear a gold jacket with my nametag on it to work everyday). I kind of just fell into this line of work over 6 months after talking to a few family friends who referred me down the line. 20 "informational interviews" later, I found the perfect job for a then 23 year old. It's worked out well so far.

If you have questions, let me know. I was kind of vague.
5480, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by madhatter210, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
A Union Mason by day and I just started for Home depot at night driving a forklift....I also do alot of side work making cf parts for ricers :P

As far as what I make...I dunno..I spend it to quick to really keep track.
5481, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by DSM Femme, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Right now I'm workin full time at Bank Atlantic as a "credit advocate" (fancy term for 'bill collector'.) I'm also a part-time student at the Art Institute for video production
5483, RE: What do you do for a living?
Originally posted by HybriDSM
Copied from elsewhere: Previous... During college I worked two summers for the Baltimore Ravens in their marketing department. I worked on site at Training Camp and at all preseason games and a few regular season games basically interning coordinating corporate sponsor events with the team. That was OK. on the plus side I did get to watch every game I worked from the home team sideline. Runner passes are the best. I could go anywhere in the stadium anytime I wanted. After graduating college, I worked for three months with the NFL Players' Association working, again, within the marketing department this time interning and working with superbowl and pro bowl related NFL Sponsors and preparing events etc for those "Bowls". Let's just say absolutely none of my college education directly parlayed into a career field I desired to be in, be it football or my current field explained below. In retrospect though, "how" I learned in college proved to be much more valuable that "what" I learned. Now... After realizing that nepotism is the only real manner of advancement both on the team side and the league side of the NFL, I interviewed in the realm of commercial real estate. Since March 2004, I have worked in the commercial real estate field in Washington DC. I spent 18 months doing retail leasing working on such accounts as Quizno's, Chipotle, Great Clips, and SunTrust Bank and also representing landlords as well leasing their shopping centers. Late last year I transitioned into a role I initially wanted to fill which is on the development side of things. I now work in development and acquisitions and basically oversee and work on every facet of buying a parcel of land, to getting a project designed and approved, to getting the project built and leased up with Tenants and operating. The only reason I would leave this job is if the perfect dream opportunity of a lifetime presented itself, meaning I could devote full time to writing (which I do in my off time). I love what I am doing currently, even though basically no one ever can really understand what it is I do, even after explaining (no I'm not a house seller and I don't wear a gold jacket with my nametag on it to work everyday). I kind of just fell into this line of work over 6 months after talking to a few family friends who referred me down the line. 20 "informational interviews" later, I found the perfect job for a then 23 year old. It's worked out well so far. If you have questions, let me know. I was kind of vague.

So you sell houses? Straight up pimpin'. As long as we have been friends I don't even remember you mentioning those NFL jobs. Sounded like fun.

5484, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by EvuLFleA, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Programmer for ND Supreme Court. Very good money.
5485, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by Kirby, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I do software sales for a large company. Not too exciting to most, but a verbal chess game everyday for me...lol Plus they keep throwing very good money at me, so I can't complain.
5489, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by CustomGS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Insurance and Financial Services for State Farm
5516, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by CopperEclipse96, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Union job with the electric company around here. Utility jobs are cool. Basically, I climb utility poles and play with electricity. Starting salary of $40,000 a year, plus overtime will put me at about $60,000 my first year. This is an entry level position too. Not bad for a 19 year old still living at home. :P

I also go to school at night, which the company pays for. So if you count tuition reimbursement, add about another $10k per year to the number above.
5526, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by shuwa29, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
E-4 United States Air Force, Electronic signals intelligence exploitations. 1n5x1. look it up on google since i can't actually tell ya what i do :) even then, you still will not know :} gotta love military intelligence!!!

later
5543, RE: What do you do for a living?
Originally posted by CopperEclipse96
Union job with the electric company around here. Utility jobs are cool. Basically, I climb utility poles and play with electricity. Starting salary of $40,000 a year, plus overtime will put me at about $60,000 my first year. This is an entry level position too. Not bad for a 19 year old still living at home. :P I also go to school at night, which the company pays for. So if you count tuition reimbursement, add about another $10k per year to the number above.

howd you come across that job? please pm me with details.
5598, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by EclipseTenzoR, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by injendsm
Originally posted by CopperEclipse96 Union job with the electric company around here. Utility jobs are cool. Basically, I climb utility poles and play with electricity. Starting salary of $40,000 a year, plus overtime will put me at about $60,000 my first year. This is an entry level position too. Not bad for a 19 year old still living at home. :P I also go to school at night, which the company pays for. So if you count tuition reimbursement, add about another $10k per year to the number above.

Dangerous ass job, I am sure there is always demand and always open positions. Be safe man
5602, RE: What do you do for a living?
Originally posted by EclipseTenzoR
Originally posted by CopperEclipse96 Union job with the electric company around here. Utility jobs are cool. Basically, I climb utility poles and play with electricity. Starting salary of $40,000 a year, plus overtime will put me at about $60,000 my first year. This is an entry level position too. Not bad for a 19 year old still living at home. :P I also go to school at night, which the company pays for. So if you count tuition reimbursement, add about another $10k per year to the number above.
Dangerous ass job, I am sure there is always demand and always open positions. Be safe man

it's not too bad. I'm not a lineman (yet), so we only deal with the secondaries, which are low voltage (120/240/480). The lineman do the high voltage shit 4600, 13200, and up from there. I might transfer over though. Lineman make closer to $100k a year, and they probably climb less poles than I do now.

You can just check your electic company's website for job openings. I don't know if any companies hire lineman off the street, so meter reading is a good way to get into the company. Meter readers make decent money too.
5630, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by tim97rs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
critical care nurse/Paramedic.
5631, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by KaptainMyke, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i need a job my wife needs a job i need a job my wife needs a job i need a job my wife needs a job i need a job my wife needs a job i need a job my wife needs a job i need a job my wife needs a job i need a job my wife needs a job
5634, RE: What do you do for a living?
Originally posted by KaptainMyke
i need a job my wife needs a job i need a job my wife needs a job i need a job my wife needs a job i need a job my wife needs a job i need a job my wife needs a job i need a job my wife needs a job i need a job my wife needs a job

who needs a job? :P
5640, RE: What do you do for a living?
it's not too bad. I'm not a lineman (yet), so we only deal with the secondaries, which are low voltage (120/240/480). The lineman do the high voltage shit 4600, 13200, and up from there. I might transfer over though. Lineman make closer to $100k a year, and they probably climb less poles than I do now. You can just check your electic company's website for job openings. I don't know if any companies hire lineman off the street, so meter reading is a good way to get into the company. Meter readers make decent money too.

they only have full time positions in my area :-(
5642, RE: What do you do for a living?
it's not too bad. I'm not a lineman (yet), so we only deal with the secondaries, which are low voltage (120/240/480). The lineman do the high voltage shit 4600, 13200, and up from there. I might transfer over though. Lineman make closer to $100k a year, and they probably climb less poles than I do now. You can just check your electic company's website for job openings. I don't know if any companies hire lineman off the street, so meter reading is a good way to get into the company. Meter readers make decent money too.

yeah, thats most likely all any utility will have, i think. for me it doesn't matter. I'm in no rush to graduate, since they are paying for my school, and I'm making damn good money in the meantime.
5648, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by FunRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Well my boss tells me I'm a revenue generator. Actually I work in the R&D deparment where we bulid police cars seatlifts and repair company cars.I make around 35k year. I guess thats not bad.
I have a lot fun at work but there are times it gets boring when you work on the same car line for months. Rite now we are working on recling rear seats in lincon town cars. Well we all have to make a living. So find something you like and go for it.

Sean H
5659, RE: What do you do for a living?
yeah, thats most likely all any utility will have, i think. for me it doesn't matter. I'm in no rush to graduate, since they are paying for my school, and I'm making damn good money in the meantime.

i would do it but my parents are taking care of tuition for me, for my bachelors at least, so i have to finish that before anything else.
5681, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by kelvinb1, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by EvuLFleA
Programmer for ND Supreme Court. Very good money.

can you hax into the nebraska systems and erase my name from anything assoicated with traffic violations...:)
5686, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by shazow1969, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I used to turn wrenches for Chevrolet to the tune of $60-80K per year. Now I fix Tactical Generators for the US Army. Pay sucks really bad(I made only 22k last year being deployed to Iraq for 12 months), but for me it has always been about serving my country. I also work on friends cars for a minimal profit. Current projects include:

68 RS/SS Camaro 396/375 Muncie M21 4 spd: Freshen everything up stiffen up the suspension and tighten up the steering. Remove the stock cast Iron manifolds and bolt up a new set of hedman ceramic coated full lengths.

88 Sport Coupe Camaro Factory 5 speed: LS1/T56 swap with Moser 12 Bolt rear, Wilwood brakes and a bone stock appearance. (What a sleeper especially once I bolt on the ATI procharger).

85 El Camino 4.3L Auto: 75 Corvette 350 completely rebuilt, Splayed 4 bolt mains, bored .060 over, Reman performance TH700R4, Hooker full length headers, 3" exhaust with 40 series flowmasters, and much much more.

96 Eclipse GS: Keeping her on the road as much as possible can be a full time job but I love her anyways.

-Kevin
5692, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by nonamerat, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Full time mechanical engineering student at ISU, I currently have no job in school and am looking for a job for the summer.
5720, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by ESome95gs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I am in the US Air Force in Security Forces stationed in Lovely Grand Forks, North Dakota..

I'm only an E-3, so I don't make very much..
5757, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by Kaoz78, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I am a CNC Machinist. I have made parts for Honda America, Goodyear, Fire Hydrants and at mt present job I make parts for AMRAAM, Sidewinder, SLAMM-ER, Tomahawk and Harpoon Guided missles. Pays pretty well, I stand to make about $50K this year.
5843, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by donnyb373, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
im a registerd Polysomnographic technologist, or rpsgt, its a medical job. What i do basicly with out goin it to too mcuh detail, is i watch fat fucks sleep and if they stop breathing i put them on a mask that helps them breath....last year i made 68k and its my 3rd year doin it
5862, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by 97RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
lol that was the best job description yet.

currently im a student due to graduate in may with a degree in biomedical engineering.
5864, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by freelancefool, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I make about $27/yr working for a McDonald's Owner/Operator doing repair work for their register systems. The money is ok, the benfits are good
and the job is pretty cool. I pretty much do whatever I feel like doing here at our office. They created this position for me and I started here with a blank work area that they told me I could make whatever changes I felt necessary to do my job.

Just to give you an idea of what my work area looks like.

http://members.cox.net/thvwlshvscpd/work_stuff/index.html
5868, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by scothern, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Well, I make about $45K a year as a PC Tech for Wendy's international. Looking for another job though as this company has taken a shit since Dave Thomas died. I do just about everything non server related and then some. I'm looking for a similar job somewhere else thoug hand so far, no dice. No Degree since College wasnt promising anmore money then what I am already making, and no certs as I have not had the money to pay for the tests and so far have not needed them.

So, I'm a professional computer Nerd and making about $21 an hour
5869, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by freelancefool, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
If you live out in Florida, hit up a company called Phoenix Sales and Service. They do a lot of McDonald's stuff out there and they are starting to get into Checkers/Rally.
5870, RE: What do you do for a living?
Thanks man but I live in columbus ohio. I dont do the P.O.S. Stuff. Just the laptops and desktops for the over paid bastards who drive company lexus's and BMW's.
5884, RE: What do you do for a living?
Originally posted by scothern
...this company has taken a shit since Dave Thomas died.

That shouldnt be funny but it is! I bet the guy working for McDonalds will be out on the streets when Ronald McDonald finally crokes.
5890, RE: What do you do for a living?
The guy who founded McDonalds already died man.
5903, RE: What do you do for a living?
Originally posted by freelancefool
I make about $27/yr...

dude, time to find a new job, if thats all you make. 27 dollars a year?!? :P
5911, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by GTMORRIS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Taking care of a GM Dealership mainly detailing, stocking cars, running erans i just started three weeks ago so far i'm enjoying it, hopefully move up to sales if i'm there in a while and figure out wether to go back to school or not. Also part time escort.
5913, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by EclipseRST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I'm a full time student at Illinois State majoring in graphic design. I currently work part time at the school's newspaper designing ads. I only make $6.50 an hour but the commission I get is fucking nuts.
5935, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by etx, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I'm a professional Grab-ass.

No, Im a devsigner.
5938, RE: What do you do for a living?
Job might be changing soon once we shutdown. Might try being a gambler/poker player for awhile. Been making good $ so far for the last year. Might be able to make even more then I make now, but w/ far more risk obviously.
6014, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by saikou, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I deliver pizza and my job sucks.
And I'm about to drop out of college because my life sucks too.
Go me. The end.
6048, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by Keith2172, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Title is Engineer 2, but really I don't engine anything. I test ground water, and since it takes about 45mins per well, I spend a lot of time sitting in a lawn chair out at the landfills watching water come out of the ground. Pretty low-impact, though I did manage to pop my ACL, so go figure :shrug , altogether not a bad job. I take home about $22k/year.
6050, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by MR BLUNT 2gnt, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I am in the Telecom industry as a network(call center) engineer/analyst. I work for Medco Health and I do the software programming of our Aspect and Avaya phone switches. I couldn't be happier with my team of guys, my boss and my director. I'm working on a bacheolor of Networking and Communication Management at DeVry in Columbus. I have about 5 semesters to go before i'll be done. We're about to install a multimillion dollar Nortel switch that is gonna roxor so i'll be very busy with that migration in the next few months.
6051, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by MR BLUNT 2gnt
We're about to install a multimillion dollar Nortel switch that is gonna roxor so i'll be very busy with that migration in the next few months.

if itys anything like the multimillion dollar Nortel switch I used to run here, no, it won't. Trust me. MAT sucks fucking horse cock.
6054, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by eclipse982nrRST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Certified GM Technician. Working for Serpentini Chevrolet in Tallmadge, OH.
6084, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by 2point4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i'm a machinist and "soon to be" fabricator of racing exhausts at spdexhaust.com. i'll never make enough money to curb my horsepower fix. check us out if you fellas are building your own exhuast systems. we sell all the components and tubung you can handle.
6113, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by juan, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by DarkOne
mixed-OS development environment, including Solaris on SPARC, Solaris on x86_64, HP-UX on PARISC, HP-UX on Itanium, Linux on x86_64, Linux on x86, and AIX on POWER.

Damn that sounds like the range of Unices (ALPHA OSF/1, SPARC Solaris, PARISC HP-UX, POWER AIX, SGI IRIX) I supported our software on when I first got to my company. Fortunately I didn't have to do anything with DG AViiON or OPENVMS...

Rarely ever touch it now though. I haven't powered up the Ultra 10 on my desk in well over a year and a half now.

juan
6177, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by selmerguy2003, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I am in the Army. So I kill people and you guys pay me to do it. Thats just cool!! There is no better job.
6205, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by boosted60trimrst, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i work part time at a body shop and i do a lot of side jobs for people .
6216, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by slowmitsu, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I manage a call center. I get paid like shit.
6245, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by Wolfs 2g, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
E-4 Specialist in LA Army Guard, been on active orders for the past 18 mos., still on orders (Medical Retention), and will be lucky if i clear 25k this year. GO ARMY!!!!

oh yea my job for good old unkle sam is a combat engineer...........I BLOW SHIT UP!
6250, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by Murfsmaster, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I'm an apprentice to become a machinist at a place called Aluminum Castings And Engineering here in Milwaukee. Oddly enough, we make parts for Daimler Chrysler and i could have sworn i saw a couple of parts for the 420a up in storage. It is kind of cool to work on the molds that make the parts for our cars.(at least back then they did)
6286, RE: What do you do for a living?
Posted by 420Adebt, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I am an assistant banquets manager for a resort and I also own a carpet cleaning business... carpet munchers holla if you're dirty
I generated this page in 0.014158964157104 seconds, executing 7 queries.