Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Pits v3.1
Topic subjectNeed advice on a decent tool box top chest.
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=47993
47993, Need advice on a decent tool box top chest.
Posted by dalesmitsu, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I'm currently an old beat up box my father left me when he past away. Started out with basic set, been adding to it over the years and I out grew it Lmao. Have a extra tote with odds an ends.

I have to around 200 to spend, wanting to get a craftsman top chest ball bearing type. Notice, that the quiet glide are exactly the same as the ball bearing only difference is the price. There's many too choice from, so which would you recommend?

Eventually I want to add to it. Like middle and roller bottem.
47994, RE: Need advice on a decent tool box top chest.
Posted by JoshDSM, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00959618000P?prdNo=40&blockNo=40&blockType=G40 this is what I got. Paid 297 for it though. Awesome box
47996, RE: Need advice on a decent tool box top chest.
Thats a really nice box. Not bad, seen that at kmart.com and at same site. Abit, out of my price range. I've seen them cheaper than 300 new, read that grip latch does jam when tools blocking the inner latch.

Whats the difference between quiet glide and ball bearing.

My price range is the ball bearing boxes.

47997, RE: Need advice on a decent tool box top chest.
Posted by JoshDSM, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
quite glide doesn't have the ball bearing, Only bad part about this box is that it only has one deep drawer. If I was to buy another I would buy the one I seen at Harbor Freight. But go ball bearing it makes a world of difference, the grip latch is awesome, not had a problem with tools getting stuck.
47998, RE: Need advice on a decent tool box top chest.
Posted by CODE4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Check out Lowes/Depot too for boxes. One of my big purchases after buying a house last year was a nice 41" chest and cart to consolidate my strewn about tool collection.

and the matching bottom but in red,

I do not remember off hand who actually makes them for Lowes (they pharm out the build and subsequently slap their name on it) but it is a relatively big tool chest manufacturer that sells several product lines under their own name too.
47999, RE: Need advice on a decent tool box top chest.
depot, is Husky or waterloo. Great, find they have a 26 wide 5 drawer ball bearing with gas strut for 129. In black only. Husky isnt that bad, company I work for. Use massive Husky cnc machines and the techs uses their boxes.

I think I've one Im going with. Its craftsman, little over 100bucks. 26 wide 5 drawer ball bearing. No grip latch nor gas strut.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10153_12605?keyword=5+drawer+ball+bearing+tool+chest

Why, is the red boxes more expensive then the black ones. They look the same, pitty. Craftsman just wants to make money lure people going with the red ones.

48000, RE: Need advice on a decent tool box top chest.
Posted by CODE4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Waterloo - that is the name. The big Kobalt boxes are pharmed out to them.
48001, RE: Need advice on a decent tool box top chest.
Thanks for replies, guys. I picked up my new box it was under $100. Price was 69.99 with was 74 :D

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00931018000P?prdNo=8&blockNo=8&blockType=G8

They had it on display tucked away in a corner, sitting on top of a rolling cart. At first thought they would try get me to buy a 3 drawer middle for same price. Salesman asked about item number, was dumb found told him but I should've wrote number, and mentioned its on your website. Then, he the time to search on his cpu. Felt kinda bad for the guy took him like 10 minutes to see if was in stock and 20 minutes at checkout because he talked me into trying to apply for a sears card. Told him that my credit is crap due to when I was used to be married and other crap aint going into details about that. But, I picked up the rewards card. Should be come in handy after he explained to me the program points are good for a year. Kinda like autozone rewards. The rep was new, and I did get a small grin from his manager. She was kinda hot.

Was hoping to get the one display but had go to pickup window. Holy crap box was huge, just barely fit in the dsm on front seat. Wasnt that heavy but I felt like I was driving around with a new chubby gf.

If anyone looking to get an extra box I recommend this one or pony up extra 100 for the quiet glide NOt the grip latch. I tried that out for abit, wasnt liking it. You can get the price you see on sears.com all you have to do is tell him or her, the price online.

Overall, I'm happy with it.
48002, RE: Need advice on a decent tool box top chest.
The bar locks the drawers is okay but its a struggle locking the lid. Is there some trick on locking it?
48023, RE: Need advice on a decent tool box top chest.
Originally posted by dalesmitsu
The bar locks the drawers is okay but its a struggle locking the lid. Is there some trick on locking it?

Anyone?
48209, RE: Need advice on a decent tool box top chest.
Posted by itsaslow95, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
sorry this is late, i had a craftsman top box for a little bit when i started turning wrenches. when i would close the lid the little arm that holds it open was folding in the incorrect direction which made closing it a real pain. once i figured out that i just kind of tugged on the rod to start closing it and let gravity take over. never had an issue after
48219, RE: Need advice on a decent tool box top chest.
I figured it out how to lock it, very happy now. Been messing with it (month or so) since purchase.

This might work with all top chest boxes besides crapsman, lol.

First, I re organgized the top compartment(not over filled), cleared around latch, made sure the lid closes properly. For the drawers you can close them all the way, it doesn't matter lid will still lock open or closed drawers.

With key in, close lid. tirck is Pull on the lip of the lid towards you some and then turn key to lock latch.

Pretty sure high end boxes do the same, every desgin looks the same.

Hopefully this can be helpful in the archives for newcomers.

Mods can lock this.
I generated this page in 0.015783071517944 seconds, executing 7 queries.