Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Pits v3.1
Topic subjectCollege Major
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=23620
23620, College Major
Posted by zestridge_, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I'm 20 years old and have in/out of college 3 times. I have no idea what to major in. When I first started school I wanted to be a part of marketing, but as I grew and thought about it a bit more, I wanted to be a Commercial Real Estate Agent. Now, all I can think about is cars, cars, my fiance, and cars. I feel like some type of automovtive engineering degree or something along thos lines would be really cool and beneficial in a few different ways, and I just wanted to see what schools you guys have gone to, and what kind of degrees are workin out for you. Any advice would be great!
23623, RE: College Major
Posted by DR1665, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I started in graphic design, changed into visual communitcation (commercial art/advertising), went into a little psychology, and then bought a Talon. Almost six years later, I started at DeVry to be an electronics technician, but I found the local market saturated with those guys, so I switched into computer info systems (programming/dbase admin). Then I realized that shit was fucking boring and lame and went to technical management. Now I've got about $70k in student loans just itching to pull me under.

Here's what I've learned:
1. You need the piece of paper. Get it as cheaply as you can.
2. You don't want to pigeon-hole yourself into something you will someday hate and not be able to use. (Programming in my case.)
3. I love car stuff and rallying more than anything else, but I need to know how to make something from that.

With all that said, attend the local state university - good name, affordable -and go after a business administration or management degree. They're going to give you tools you can use in the future - basic accounting, business terminology, etc.. This way, it doesn't matter what field you look into, you've got some management aptitude and you can run with the ball.

BONUS: Learning how to run a business can come in handy if you, I dunno, decide to start your own business one day, which is really the only way I think anyone can truly enjoy what they do.

Hope this helps.
23630, RE: College Major
Posted by EcLIpsInEmCEe7, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i started off as a kinesiology major looking to go into physical therapy but switched two years into the program. im now a liberal studies major with an emphasis in natural science looking to become a teacher. its fun times.

it can be a pain in the ass figurin this out. just get out there and test stuff out. i knew what i wanted to do because of past work experiences.
23633, RE: College Major
Posted by totaleklipse97, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I considered getting my doctorate in Pharmacology a few years ago. Since I've realized what a shit hole profession that is, for having a Doctorate. Only real way to make money is to sell yourself to a retail company, work long shitty hours and only make 100k a year. Since I've still been interested in Nursing, there is alot of ways to go from there. You can be a drug rep for a company, make 130k a year just helping an anasthetiologist (fuck, spelling) any numerous things. I'm interested in science and the medical feild, so it's a logical choice for me. I would recommend going to the local tech/community college, get a Bachelors in something useful like Business administration, and do whatever comes at you in life. I've met upperlevel management that have degrees in elementary education. It's not about *what degree* you have, it's about having *a degree*. Just something for the employer to know you have worldly knowledge and have succeeded at something in life up to that point. A bachelors in BA won't get you the amazing job a MBA will.. but it's a step on the right path. If you've taken college courses already, see what can transfer over, and see what you would have to take to cash out with something. I'm a long way away, and looking at 50k+ in student loans by the time i graduate. I'll make over that in one year after graduation.. so it's worth it. Spending 50k+ to go from making 25k IN A SINGLE year to 80K EVERY year, definately worth the hassle.
23634, RE: College Major
Posted by WIDECLIPSE, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I'm going back to school this fall to finish my bachelor's in political science. Then I'm going to law school. It's going to take a while, but in the end I should be doing pretty well, at least that's the plan. I decided a long time ago that mediocrity isn't for me anymore. I grew up on the shitty side of town and never really had anything and got sick of it.
23635, RE: College Major
Posted by zestridge_, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Wow, Not to sound extra gay, but you guys are acually pretty inspiring... I thought it was unusual to have such a cloudy look on what to do, and I guess its just something along the lines of normal. So, thanks for the advice inside and outside of the garage.

sooooo gay. sorry.
23636, RE: College Major
Posted by cc8balla, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Mechanical Engineering. I'm was going to Bowling Green State University here in Ohio, but now Im switching to a community college that offers the same exact classes for about 15K less. As Brian said, you got to try to find the best path for the least amount of money. Ill transfer back to BG, when I get most of my classes done at Owens.
23637, RE: College Major
Posted by JayWeezie88, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I'm at a local state college majoring in Pre-Pharmacy eventually trying to become a retail pharmacist. I work at CVS Pharmacy right now and I love doing all the hands on crap and learning about various drugs and having to deal with nasty old people and drugees.
But in school is a whole different story. I would enjoy it if I didnt have to do 2 years of chemistry biology and biochemistry and all the other courses that go along with it. I would much rather enjoy it if I was thrown right into pharmaceutical classes.

We took a trip out to a local pharmacy school (Wilkes Univeristy Nisbitt School of Pharmacy) and we sat through a couple of lectures and labs and I knew half the stuff they were teaching b/c of my experience at CVS, it just makes me mad that all they really look at are grades and not so much applied to the working area and experience.

23639, RE: College Major
Posted by Dualgen2, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I switched majors a couple times (business, finance, business technology) and then dropped out. College isn't for everyone and I already had job experience, which is just as important. Been working in the car business for about 6 1/2 years now.
23640, RE: College Major
Posted by ScreaminE, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Well, I guess I am different from the rest. I've been at one school with one major since I graduated high school. I am a civil engineering major here at UNC Charlotte. Tuition is righ around 3200 bucks a year for in state so it is pretty cheap. I like what I'm doing but I hate my life...or lack of life. I put in way too many hours a week on homeworks, projects, exams and lab reports. I can't have any fun without the thoughts of my next assignment lingering over it.

Thank God I'm done in December!!!!
23641, RE: College Major
Posted by totaleklipse97, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by JayWeezie88
I'm at a local state college majoring in Pre-Pharmacy eventually trying to become a retail pharmacist. I work at CVS Pharmacy right now and I love doing all the hands on crap and learning about various drugs and having to deal with nasty old people and drugees. But in school is a whole different story. I would enjoy it if I didnt have to do 2 years of chemistry biology and biochemistry and all the other courses that go along with it. I would much rather enjoy it if I was thrown right into pharmaceutical classes. We took a trip out to a local pharmacy school (Wilkes Univeristy Nisbitt School of Pharmacy) and we sat through a couple of lectures and labs and I knew half the stuff they were teaching b/c of my experience at CVS, it just makes me mad that all they really look at are grades and not so much applied to the working area and experience.

Having hands on experience is a great thing when it comes to Pharmacy. I currently work in a Walgreens and have for 7 years. With as much as you learn about medications in a pharmacy there is still ALOT that you don't know. You take all those chemistry and biochemistry classes for very important reasons. Its not just knowing about the drug itself, it's knowing how your body processes and utilizes that drug. Some medications are processed by certain chemicals in the liver and have similiar mechanisms of action, prescribing multiple medications or conflicting medications of that nature can cause alot of problems, that is where the pharmacist steps in. Luckily with retail and the computer programs being developed by the major retail companies that is done alot with computers. I've heard that some retail companies are moving onto product verification by non licensed pharmacists, as long as it is a seperate process from verifying the actual data of the prescription. By the time you come out of school, the whole aspect of retail pharmacy will be different. I've seen so many young kids go into pre-pharmacy never having spent a day in a retail store. I feel sorry for them, they have no idea what's in store for them. Your doing the right thing, good luck with it!!
23643, RE: College Major
Posted by talon749, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by DR1665
I started in graphic design, changed into visual communitcation (commercial art/advertising), went into a little psychology, and then bought a Talon. Almost six years later, I started at DeVry to be an electronics technician, but I found the local market saturated with those guys, so I switched into computer info systems (programming/dbase admin). Then I realized that shit was fucking boring and lame and went to technical management. Now I've got about $70k in student loans just itching to pull me under. Here's what I've learned: 1. You need the piece of paper. Get it as cheaply as you can. 2. You don't want to pigeon-hole yourself into something you will someday hate and not be able to use. (Programming in my case.) 3. I love car stuff and rallying more than anything else, but I need to know how to make something from that. With all that said, attend the local state university - good name, affordable -and go after a business administration or management degree. They're going to give you tools you can use in the future - basic accounting, business terminology, etc.. This way, it doesn't matter what field you look into, you've got some management aptitude and you can run with the ball. BONUS: Learning how to run a business can come in handy if you, I dunno, decide to start your own business one day, which is really the only way I think anyone can truly enjoy what they do. Hope this helps.

I think thats some very good advice, Im on the same path as you right now lol, Its my first year of college and I went into graphic arts, I really know the adobe software, realized all this print shop stuff isn't for me, it also does not help its in the same building as the industrial technology and I get to see guys taking engines apart daily , but im stuck in a classroom writing batch programs in photoshop to desaturat photos, I work at an insurance company and they have an opening in the data center where I would be basically building computers, so If I get that job I plan on changing majors to something like computer science

point is, lots of people change majors, its no big deal, you can always learn what you have learned.
23647, RE: College Major
Posted by RSClipse9d7, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I am currently in my third year at Ithaca College. I came in as Television/Radio with a concentration in Audio Production. After learning about how risky that path can be; you basically start at that bottom making nothing and have to claw your way to the top, I decided to add Business Administration with a concentration in Management. I did that for a semester and got talked into an Accounting major as well.

In case you haven't followed so far, because it is confusing to even explain, I now have the following:

1. B.S in Television Radio, concentration in Audio Production
2. B.S in Business Administration, concentration in Management
3. B.S in Accounting

Now I haven’t finished any of those yet, but I am going to get them in four years. I will finish undergrad with close to 160 credits to pull it off. So in short, I have worked my ass off so far, and still have a little more than a year to go. Yeah, it sucks big time sometimes. My friends go out, while I stay in a study or write another paper, but I’m happy with that. After this it’s law school, and depending on my LSAT score my school of choice, U Penn, isn’t out of the question for me.

Bottom line: I thought I knew what I wanted to do when I came to school; I was going to own a recording studio and make a lot of money doing that. When I realized how unlikely that was I didn’t give up on it, I just decided to educate myself as much as possible. It might be naïve, but I refuse to believe that hard work won’t eventually pay off.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
23650, RE: College Major
Posted by VelocitaPaola, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by RSClipse9d7
It might be naïve, but I refuse to believe that hard work won’t eventually pay off.

Hard work definitely pays off, but you just have to know where invest your effort.

I was always super hard on myself about doing well in school. Now I'm in my third year at Boston College, and a little more indifferent about what's going on. I agree with what Brian said, just get your piece of paper. I was mistaken coming here, thinking that it really mattered what major you choose. In actuality, it couldn't matter less. Even for special fields, it's not quite as critical as you might assume; i.e. I could've finished my pre-med requirements without being a bio major.

So, my advice is go wherever's cheapest (BC is at $46K/yr now, but at least they pay for most of it), pick a cush major that has some sort of relevance to what you think you might want to do (bio for now, basket weaving next semester), and get out as fast as possible.

My brain is fried from school for so long. I both own a company, and work for a media company; and I like both my jobs very much. I just want to work for a while and realize my earning potential before coming back for a masters or my MD.

-http://www.symtechlabs.com/-

23651, RE: College Major
Posted by ScreaminE, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by VelocitaPaola
So, my advice is go wherever's cheapest (BC is at $46K/yr now, but at least they pay for most of it)

Dear God that's an insame amount of money for 1 year!
I generated this page in 0.01083779335022 seconds, executing 7 queries.