Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Pits v3.1
Topic subject[BRAINSTORM] THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=42696&mesg_id=42696
42696, [BRAINSTORM] THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX
Posted by DR1665, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I remember when I joined this site. People had stars next to their names and the few people with turbocharged 2GNTs had either dropped three large on HRC or Star kits. Then came the 2.4L swap, Megasquirt, and the $1000 DIY turbosystem.

Today, a turbocharged, 2.4L 420A on MSnS is fairly commonplace. It's impressive. We've got Mark doing us proud in the all motor realm and dsm_zero putting over 600 to the wheels. The 2GNT has come a long way from it's humble roots of homemade intakes and mismatched exhaust components.

DSM is no longer the hot setup. It is the future classic. Think about it for a minute. The NEWEST 2G DSM you can possibly buy is on the cusp of being TEN YEARS OLD. 1Gs are pushing TWENTY! This platform is, in the eyes of the automotive industry - dead. Eagle has folded, the Eclipse lives on, but it's two generations removed from the spirit of the platform, while everyone scoops up Evos and Imprezas to satisfy their must-go-fast-right-now vices.

Some of you bought the 2GNT because you couldn't afford the turbo car and that's okay. Even today, when the turbo cars are less than what some of us OGs spent on used 2GNTs just a few years back. What matters is that you fell in love with a car styled well ahead of its time and which still fits in on the road today.

It's time to stop obsessing over turbos. WAT.
It's time to stop obsessing over turbos. It's time to start thinking outside the box. This is a long-winded intro to a charge to brainstorm. Rip apart the platform and rebuild it however you like.

And if you feel the need to mention a 4G63 or 4B11 in a 2GNT, you had damn well better come up with a better idea than just to have a turbocharged AWD DSM. That's an old, stupid idea.

Get nutty with this. Aside from the tired 4G63 swap blather, sky's the limit here. It's a chance to throw out ridiculous ideas, consider the ones that sound like they'd be really cool if they happened, and discuss what might keep someone from trying such things.

DSM needs ideas today more than ever. DSM has become synonymous with mouthy turbo asshole who couldn't afford an Evo. It used to mean "Go fast with class." In the past, going fast meant turbocharging because the TSi/GS-T had turbos on them and the community of technically apt enthusiasts was small and close-knit.

Today, being a gearhead means being on a forum somewhere. Yes, there are exceptions like Darren Thomas in Oklahoma, who puts over 700awhp through a Mitsubishi automatic all day long at the track, but isn't on any forums, but he's the exception, not the rule. Today, there are dozens of DSM forums and thousands of people posting on them daily. The tech and skills are out there.

See something done on another vehicle and figure out a way to apply it to a DSM. That's what this thread is about. So think about the impossible, the improbable, and the downright ridiculous.

BRAINSTORM. Let's hear your most ridiculous, albeit possible on some level for a crazy awesome project someone could do based on a 2G DSM. Tell us why you think it would be cool. This is your chance to innovate.

How about swapping Mazda RX-8 bits into a 2G? Lighter weight, better balance, RWD?

What would it take to devise a hybrid system for the 2GNT? Not for better MPGs (we already do a good enough job of that), but for more torque off the line. Turvo II anyone?

Mid-engine, RWD. How would you go about that?

Front engine, RWD. How would you go about that?

Stop talking about supercharging a 2GNT and do it.

Hell. Turn a 2G DSM into a boat for all I care. I'm just trying to get you guys thinking outside the whole "I have a DSM so I have to do the whole GTwhatever-R turbo and AEM blah, blah, blah" groupthink.

Let's see what you come up with!

I generated this page in 0.0084319114685059 seconds, executing 6 queries.