Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectMy coilovers go BOOM when I pull in driveway at an angle
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=9433
9433, My coilovers go BOOM when I pull in driveway at an angle
Posted by EvuLFleA, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Whats up with that.
9434, RE: My coilovers go BOOM when I pull in driveway at an angle
Posted by mcgyvr, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
mine too, its the spring coming off the collar a bit and then snapping back on, its cause cheap coilover sets dont have that keeper spring or whatever the smaller spring is.
9435, RE: My coilovers go BOOM when I pull in driveway at an angle
Well instead of driving with a 3" drop I just tightened it enough so that the spring can't move up or down.

Damn is that a loud noise too :-\
9436, RE: My coilovers go BOOM when I pull in driveway at an angle
Posted by 9D9 MITSU RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
so, what was it, and how can it be avoided/fixed. I am contemplating coilovers now. sportlines were too low, but pro kits make it look too stock to me. Had the pro kits on a few months too. STill need struts tho. sucks being broke all the time.
9437, RE: My coilovers go BOOM when I pull in driveway at an angle
Posted by eclipse804, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Most people have that because if you angle up a driveway, part of the suspension extends so that the top of the spring has room to move (it's no longer touching the top end cap). Then when you go up the driveway, the top metal cap piece will land back onto the spring and make a loud clunk. It's not a big deal really.
9438, RE: My coilovers go BOOM when I pull in driveway at an angle
No no no Marcus....this wasnt just a cap landing back on the springs. The spring would actually stick to the top of the plate and when the car went down the spring would be sitting right but than force itself to sit right and BOOM. I think I need to get a front strut bar and maybe that would help with the flexing.

Overall I can change my entire suspension in about 45 minutes. It is so incredibly easy after you learn a few tricks.

The coilovers aren't as good of a ride as my intrax's were, but they are pretty good. For $134.95, you can't go wrong.
9439, RE: My coilovers go BOOM when I pull in driveway at an angle
Posted by eclipse804, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Oh well basically it's the same concept. Part of the spring is colliding with either the top or bottom metal collar when your suspension gets extended and falls back into place. How did you solve it? I'm not sure if my theory is even right since it might really be the exact same thing as your's. I just never bothered to try to look at the suspension as I go up a driveway.
9440, RE: My coilovers go BOOM when I pull in driveway at an angle
Posted by mcgyvr, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
zip ties?? tie the spring to the bottom so it doesnt pull up?? maybe put a piece of garden hose over the spring to keep it in place and quiet?? really not much you can do to fix it, I was thinking about getting a metal fab shop to whip me up some keeper springs, but it takes too much time to set up their machines for 4 springs
9441, RE: My coilovers go BOOM when I pull in driveway at an angle
Posted by 99Eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Could be your struts bangin.
I generated this page in 0.010510921478271 seconds, executing 7 queries.