Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectSkunk2 with stock struts
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=9197
9197, Skunk2 with stock struts
Posted by 99Silver1100, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Does anyone here run skunk2s with stock struts? If so, how is the ride and are you happy with them.

Thanks
9198, RE: Skunk2 with stock struts
Posted by will4u2k, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
>Does anyone here run skunk2s with stock struts? If so, how
>is the ride and are you happy with them.
>
>Thanks

i do they ride real rough it you put them down past half of the collar

9199, RE: Skunk2 with stock struts
Posted by daved, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Bullshit they ride rough. I have had Skunk2 coilovers on my stock struts for 2 years now, set all the way down. Still have not blown the struts or does the ride feel rough. Yes it does make it more rough but it is expected when you lower a car, thats just something you have to give up for performance. They don't bounce all over the place like I see some car do when they go over a big bump they bounce a few times, my Skunk2's will hit pretty hard but they only hit hard once. I would rather hit hard once than bounce like 3 or 4 times before the car sits right again. I always get complimants from people who ride in my car about how smooth it feels for being so low. So I guess the answer to this question personal opinion, your going to get alot of different stories I guess. I love mine though.

Honestly if your worreid about ride quality I am telling you right now don't bother lowering you car. Any spring/sturt combo other than stock is going to ride rough. You have to give up ride quality for performance thats just how it is. I actually like a stiffer spring, but hey thats just me, personal opinion.
9200, RE: Skunk2 with stock struts
Posted by Ryan_Hes, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I had the skunk2's on my car with stock struts for 3 months lowered 1.5 inches before they blew. The Skunk2's are now for sale -- $240 + shipping if you want them.

9201, RE: Skunk2 with stock struts
No offense to anybody but how do you blow your struts so fast. As I said I have my coilovers for 2 years and the stock struts have yet to blow, I am just that lucky?

I live in FL and the majority of the roads here are in pretty good condition, I guess that might have something to do with it. I have family in Ohio and when I go visit them I am always glad I didn't drive my car, it wouldn't be a pretty sight. The roads are shit up there.
9202, RE: Skunk2 with stock struts
Posted by oMInOUs97RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have 2 blown struts with my skunk2's and the ride quality isn't that bad with the coilovers about half an inch from the bottom. The struts were blown when I bought the car (damn satan), but I'll be replacing them with illuminas and agx's.
9203, RE: Skunk2 with stock struts
Posted by eclipse804, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Skunk2's are stiff. Unless you have really old ones that may have used different spring rates. Anyone that has newer skunk2s with 550 ft lb in front, 450 in the rear, will have a really stiff, rough ride. It's great for the track. I have them with KYB GR-2, but they can get pretty rough if the road is not smooth. Also, with stock struts, some people have really good luck and other people's don't last over a month lowered on any springs.
9204, RE: Skunk2 with stock struts
Posted by jerseystyle1, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have the skunk2's with tokico blues and I love them. It does make the suspension really stiff (which is how I like it!), add a set of 18" rims w/40 series tires and WOW! My car takes corners like you wouldn't believe. By the way, that's with my coilovers set all the way down.
9205, RE: Skunk2 with stock struts
Posted by LoudEclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
isnt your car lowered as low as it goes daved? when you are sitting on your bump stops your suspension has no where to go

9206, RE: Skunk2 with stock struts
Yes I do have them all the way down but I cut some off of my bumpstops.
9207, RE: Skunk2 with stock struts
Posted by Jerry, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I just installed mine about a week ago...Overall the car looks sweet, the ride is not that bad you dont bounce all over the place but Im still ordering Tokicos because the stock shocks dont sit low enough to allow more spring travel....
I generated this page in 0.010200977325439 seconds, executing 7 queries.