Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectGSX vs. 3000GT VR-4 calipers
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=8870
8870, GSX vs. 3000GT VR-4 calipers
Posted by thisismygs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
where can i get, and how much can i expect to spend, on gsx calipers? the gsx calipers on the rear are the same as ours, right? also, the vr-4 calipers are bigger than those found on the gsx; am i correct? how much modifying is required to fit vr-4 calipers on our cars? is it not worth the hassle and the gsx brake upgrade the way to go? just read an archived article on speedoptions.com where the guy upgraded his calipers to the 2-piston setup of the gsx and installed the aem big brake kit:
http://www.speedoptions.com/news_headline.asp?aID=278&ref=search&v=1&pg=0
8871, RE: GSX vs. 3000GT VR-4 calipers
Posted by iamnotwhoiam, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i have heard that it takes some work to get the 3000gt vr4 calipsers to work on our cars, not to menchen that you would be required to run 17in rims with those brakes, while with the 2g gsx calipers up front it is a direct bolt on as long as you have the brackets off the 2g gsx that the calipers go with. then just get upgraded gsx rotors and new pads cause they are slightly bigger than the ones on our cars. and also you can use 16in rims with the gsx calipers.. thats my somewhat current project at the moment btw.. just waiting to repaint/powdercoat my calipers and get new lines/pads/rotors...
8872, RE: GSX vs. 3000GT VR-4 calipers
Posted by jasonhko, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
so its prety much a no brainer then for gsx brake conversion right?? should take only an afternoon for completion right?? hmm... always been a big fan of stopping on a dime.. maybe this is a good upgrade for me.. Gonna go to the junk yard later today and see if I can pick up a set. btw.. how much should I expect to be paying for the 2 calipers, brackets, and rotors??
8873, RE: GSX vs. 3000GT VR-4 calipers
Posted by Fast420A, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I paid $100 for 2 GSX calipers and then had to buy an $80 boot rebuild kit for them both. After that you can either buy stock type rotors and pads or upgraded/performance pads and rotors. I wouldn't recommend installing used pads and rotors.

________________________________________________________________________________________
current status - No 3rd Gear synchro

http://hometown.aol.com/ohshootuhh/
www.Fast420A.com

8874, RE: GSX vs. 3000GT VR-4 calipers
Posted by iamnotwhoiam, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
yeah i got mine for about 100 plus the rebuild kit for like 50ish from tallahassee mitsubishi. Be sure to check out www.dsmtrader.com and www.thepartstrader.com they are decent sources for finding such items.
8875, RE: GSX vs. 3000GT VR-4 calipers
Posted by thisismygs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
what's the rebuild kit needed for? do i need that? i need the calipers, the caliper brackets, and what else (other than rotors and pads)?
8876, RE: GSX vs. 3000GT VR-4 calipers
The rebuild kit replaces the original old worn piston boots with new ones.

________________________________________________________________________________________

www.Fast420A.com

8877, RE: GSX vs. 3000GT VR-4 calipers
Posted by HadesOmega, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
they can't be that old? I got some brakes off an old TSi and they've been working fine so far. I guess if it's got cracks and stuff you'd need to get it. Yeah I got some 3000GT SL calipers for roughly 100 bux gonna go all out on brakes with these babies! :)

Well if you want VR4 brakes your gonna need a lot of power. As in turbo power. I suggest you just learn to do engine braking. My stock brakes with metal master pads and stock rotors survived track racing and I rarely ever fade them. So I think your going a little over kill there, it's nice to have nice brakes but you should learn to utilize with what you got.
8878, RE: GSX vs. 3000GT VR-4 calipers
Posted by trwebb26, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
so you need:

GSX calipers
GSX caliper brackets
Rotors that fit a GSX
Pads for a GSX
Rebuild Kits for the GSX calipers

I would think Stainless steel hoses would be a good idea...

Do you need a proportioning valve?
Did I miss anything in the list?
8879, RE: GSX vs. 3000GT VR-4 calipers
I only needed the rebuild kit since the boots were torn on my used calipers. You may not need the kit if they are in good condition.

www.Fast420A.com

8880, RE: GSX vs. 3000GT VR-4 calipers
Posted by Karl, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Putting on the 3000GT VR-4 calipers is not worth it. It takes a lot of time and effort compared to the GSX calipers or aftermarket x-piston calipers. Here is a statement from the DSM VFAQ:

"To graft the VR-4 TT brakes to the DSMs, the spindle from the TT has to be modified by a machine shop so as to utilize the stock T/E/L front shaft bearings and hubs, and the stock Brembo calipers must be ground to fit 17" wheels, since the caliper sides will rub against the wheel spokes."

Make it easy for yourself and either get the GSX or buy a kit from an aftermarket company.
I generated this page in 0.0088579654693604 seconds, executing 7 queries.