Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectarospeed coilovers, why cant I go low?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=7402
7402, arospeed coilovers, why cant I go low?
Posted by Talon95Stang, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Ok I got some arospeed coilovers, whih kyb gr2's. I used to have teck-5 lowering springs and had no problems, but ever since I got coilovers my struts are bottoming out. Why is this? I can get 2 fingers between my tire and fender. I've worked my ass off trying to lower my strut to give it more room but they still hit. I want my car lower too. It just dont make sence? Should I go back to lowering springs?

I need help. arospeed told me to put the small springs in front. Is this correct? Just want to make sure.
7403, RE: arospeed coilovers, why cant I go low?
Posted by jdpilot, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Did you knock the perches off?
7404, RE: arospeed coilovers, why cant I go low?
YES

Should the big springs go infront???
7405, RE: arospeed coilovers, why cant I go low?
Posted by Amish_Eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
struts may not have enough piston travel to lower . are you bottoming out? you need eitehr OE struts or something more performance oriented. friend of mine has a 97 RS on 19's and stock struts with the aerospeed coils. he's 4 inches down cambered to hell.
7406, RE: arospeed coilovers, why cant I go low?
I just talking about when i go over a bump. There ok for now but i just wanted to know if the big springs should go in front?
7407, RE: arospeed coilovers, why cant I go low?
Posted by 1TuffRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
whoever told you the little springs go up front is STUPID!! It makes more sense that the larger springs would go up front to support the weight of the engine, etc. The bigger springs, more than likely, have a higher spring rate. I guess its possible that the smaller springs have a higher spring rate, but I doubt it. When I lowered my car, I put the larger springs up front.
7408, RE: arospeed coilovers, why cant I go low?
Posted by eclipse804, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Actually, spring length has nothing to do with spring rates. My Skunk2's use the same size springs in the front and rear (7" long), and the front have a higher spring rate. However, the newest version of the skunk2's use a SHORTER spring in the rear, but it has a higher spring rate than my current rear. The new ones use equal spring rate in front and rear. It makes sense to have the shorter spring in the rear actually, at least on skunk2's. The rears can't go as low as the fronts for skunks. If you are having a big problem with the shorter springs in front, try switching them to the rear for your arospeed coilovers. As long as they are same diameter...that should help with the ride, but you won't be able to lower it quite as low.
7409, RE: arospeed coilovers, why cant I go low?
Posted by 1TuffRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
When he said bigger I thought he meant thicker I guess. With my springs the fronts were obviously thicker so to speak. I think they may have been shorter, cant really remember.
7410, RE: arospeed coilovers, why cant I go low?
I mean Thicker!! not longer.

I'll try the switch.

I just emailed arospeed again and they told me the thicker ones go in back? who knows.

7411, RE: arospeed coilovers, why cant I go low?
Posted by eclipse804, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Ok nm, on my skunk2's the springs are all same thickness. I would assume the thicker ones have a higher spring rate, so they should go in front. Who knows.
7412, RE: arospeed coilovers, why cant I go low?
Posted by gikki4481, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
hey man, look i have the arospeed coilovers and trust me the thicker springs go int the front. make sure u get all the washers in too or it will ride like shit.
7413, RE: arospeed coilovers, why cant I go low?
What washers?

I only got some red poly inserts. is this what your talking about?
I generated this page in 0.012867212295532 seconds, executing 7 queries.