Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectPhantom Grip
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=5560
5560, Phantom Grip
Posted by SavageGimp, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey all. I have a 95 Talon ESi and I wanted to improve my traction. I REALLY want to get an LSD but I know I can't afford it since I plan to go turbo this summer. I was browsing around and saw some info on the Phantom Grip "LSD" conversion, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. What do you guys think? It seems like as long as I'm sure to get the 1000lb springs I should be okay, but it's hard to be sure... Does anyone here have the phantom grip kit? Let me know what you think! Thanks!

Ben

5561, RE: Phantom Grip
Posted by Mystic511, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
well, i wrote to phantom grip to enquire about some stuff.. and they never replied... so i'm kinda pissed at them.

Quaiffe makes a real LSD for around 1200... and i think the phantom grip's lsd is only good for about 300 hp anyway, so if you plan on turbo.. i'd say go all out.
5562, RE: Phantom Grip
Hmm... I dont know if I'll be able to afford the real LSD kit... Maybe I'll just get the phantom grip for now and then save up for the real one later. I'm going to wait till I hear a little bit more about the phantom. I've heard it's good up to 350HP which I dont plan to hit for a little while anyway... If anyone else has heard anything let me know, thanks!

Ben

5563, RE: Phantom Grip
Posted by RyaN95i4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
who and how do they come up with these "good for X amount of hp" stuff?

stock type R LSD's are only "supposed" to be good for 300hp, yet my best friends has been making over 500hp for months and has had zero problems with his stock (other than a stage 4 clutch) transmission. in fact, hes considering putting a phantom grip into his car...
5564, RE: Phantom Grip
Posted by JJPhatStrat, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Since I have no idea what an LSD conversion is for a car...im just sitting here imagining that you do this thing to your car and it makes it totally trip out and think its got 300 extra more horsepower and can stick to walls with its "phantom grip"...but im probably wrong
5565, RE: Phantom Grip
Posted by MuRiX, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
The phantom grip is a locker differential. It is a small metal block that is spring loaded to lock you diff when necessary. It does not work 100% like a LSD but has a similar effect on traction. The problem with its power handling capability is that it still uses the stock diff and is actually trying to lock metal against metal which can create a lot of friction. The more power it has to hold, the harder it has to work. I am sure the power ratings given though is to cover their own ass if something happens and the diff explodes more than saying that at that exact rating your diff will automatically fail. Greg is using a phantom grip on his 99GS running 15psi making 282fwhp so far and has not reported anything wrong. Well at least not last time I heard from him. That has been a couple of months now. Personally, I do not trust the stock diff and like the idea of a true LSD. That is just me though. I have a quaife.
5566, RE: Phantom Grip
Trust me when I say I would buy the true LSD if I could afford it... I'm just looking for something to tide me over until I hit the lotto or something :) I'm already looking to rebuild and add a turbo as it is so I just dont think I can afford anything but the phantom. I'm glad to hear that your friend isn't having any problems with it though ;-) Thanks for the info.

Ben

I generated this page in 0.0080559253692627 seconds, executing 7 queries.