Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjecthow much should i spend...
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=5113
5113, how much should i spend...
Posted by madregal, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
how much will i spend to get somebody to install my new prokits and kyb-gr2 with camber correction ( i wanna do the $15 camber correction but am not sure my mechanic will fiddle with it..may just have to get RRE's camber kit)?

i need to get it aligned right after don't i?

i am in so cal. in the glendale/burbank area.
5114, RE: how much should i spend...
Posted by 1TuffRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You should just do it yourself, its not that hard of a job just time consuming. I put my springs by myself and it took me about half a day. The hardest part was getting the bolts loose. Just rent a spring compressor from autozone and have at it. This way you'll learn more about your car, which will pay off in the long run
5115, RE: how much should i spend...
i do not have the confidence to do it.
plus i do not have tools. thanks for the encouragement though!
5116, RE: how much should i spend...
Posted by EvuLFleA, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I would guess $100-$200? I have never asked any shop but that is my guess.
5117, RE: how much should i spend...
Posted by Logic3, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yeah, I have found that most shops charge about $50 an hour for suspension work. So about an hour a corner for the springs and struts. So probably around $200, maybe more. Plus the camber install and the alignment....you're probably gonna be right around $300 by the end of it all.

You should really try to do it yourself. I had no experience with suspension until I intalled my springs. I used Corbins' write up and got it done in a weekend. $300 is a lot of money to give away. http://www.houstonhardware.com/~cbehnken/struts.html

5118, RE: how much should i spend...
Posted by sd_eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Madregal if you don't mind a trip down to northern side of san diego. I can give you a hand. Its actually pretty easy. Just gotta rent a spring compressor from pepboys. You gotta give them a $50 deposit but you get it all back when you return it. I have all the rest of the needed tools.
RTP
5119, RE: how much should i spend...
Posted by EvuLFleA, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yes have Dan help you. He has nothing better to do.:) With that $300 extra you can go buy yourself a CF hood haha. Damn good deal if you ask me.

Its always nice to have buddies give you a hand.
5120, RE: how much should i spend...
Dan.

you have a big heart. thanks for the offer to help me install my springs and struts. that was really nice of you. people like you make this board worth being a part of.

unfortunately, i am not able to take time off to go. i work m-f. on saturdays i go to school, sundays i do volunteer work with at-risk-kids.

i really appreciate the offer though. if you are ever on this side of cali, let me know and i'd like to buy you a drink.

now for my questions.

i got the prokits and the kyb-gr2s... because i am short on cash, the $15 camber mod is lookin real attractive... would it be hard to get all the washers and bolts? would any mechanic have those or should i go to a hardware store?

question #2. should i put the $15 camber mod in first before i get it aligned? or should i have the people who are doing the alignment for me take a look at it first before i have them put in the $15 mod?

oh.. with the prokits, the car will 1.5 lower right? i had intrax on another car before and they sag. do prokits sag?
the RRE camber kit isn't too bad @ $45.

-marc
5121, RE: how much should i spend...
Posted by Fast420A, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM

>i got the prokits and the kyb-gr2s... because i am short on
>cash, the $15 camber mod is lookin real attractive... would
>it be hard to get all the washers and bolts? would any
>mechanic have those or should i go to a hardware store?
>

Any good auto parts store should have the correct bolts and washers. Make sure you get the correct grade bolts and washers.

>question #2. should i put the $15 camber mod in first before
>i get it aligned? or should i have the people who are doing
>the alignment for me take a look at it first before i have
>them put in the $15 mod?

The back is not adjustable for camber on our cars so put it on and when you get the alignment they will tell you what the rear camber is. Mine was -1.5 deg on both sides lowered 1.5 inches with the $15 mod. My tires have been on the car for almost a year now. The last set before the camber kits lasted 4 months.

I paid $75 each for sprint extreme front camber kit. This took 2 hours to install.
I paid $15 for the rear kit. This took 15 minutes to install. Very simple install. Look here for the shitty pics I took.

http://hometown.aol.com/ohshootuhh/camber.html

Don't pay more than $100 to install springs/shocks. Maybe an additional $50 for camber kits. Some places will do it all for the $100.

current status unknown

http://hometown.aol.com/ohshootuhh/

Perf:
KYB AGX Struts
Neuspeed Sport Springs
5 Strut Bars (2 F/U, F/L, R/U, R/L)
Sprint Front Camber Kit
$15 Rear Camber Kit
Corbin's A/F Gauge
MSD DIS-2 Ignition System
Some Regrind Cams that need High Compression (which I don't have)
Ported Intake Manifold
Ported Throttle Body
Nameless Cold Air Intake with a K&N Filter
Custom 2 1/2 inch exhaust with Dual DTM Muffler
Empty Catalytic Convertor
Energy Suspension Motor Mount inserts
Hurricane_GS Short Shifter
Symborsky Shift Kit
Clutchmasters Stage 3 Modular
225/50/16inch Wheels and Tires

Audio:
Alpine CD Head Unit
Alpine Flex4 25W X 4 for Fronts and Rears
Alpine V-12 450W X 1 for Subs
Infinity Reference Series 5 1/4 and 1 inch tweeter component systems for fronts and rears
Blaupunkt 3 way 6x9's in the rears
3 MTX 5000 10" 12 ohm subs running 4 ohms mono

5122, RE: how much should i spend...
with prokits and kyb gr2s you think i'll even need a front camber kit? i hope not.
I generated this page in 0.0094749927520752 seconds, executing 7 queries.