Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectHow much should a mechanic charge for brake pad/rotor change and rear drum brake service?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=4870
4870, How much should a mechanic charge for brake pad/rotor change and rear drum brake service?
Posted by Robinson, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Maybe I'll have a mechanic do it if it won't cost too much.
4871, do the disks yourself
Posted by VX100, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Have him do the drums (they are a pain, and the old guys who are mechanics know how to work on them since they were on the front wheels of cars long ago) but do the disks yourself! It is very easy and takes almost no time.

I was helping a friend strip down hs wrecked car and we were removing the rear disks on his car, and it took about 10 minutes to remove the disks.

Disks are so easy and take such a short time I don't see the point in wasting the money on having someone else do them.
4872, RE: do the disks yourself
Posted by eclipse804, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Well if you need the disk resurfaced, you should just take it to a mechanic. I paid 40 bucks for them to change the pads and resurface my rotors. That doesn't include the price of the pads (which I got elsewhere).
4873, RE: do the disks yourself
Posted by 1TuffRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
When I got my rotors turned, they told me I had to get my drums adjusted or the car would brake harder in the rear than it was meant to due to the change in disk height. I paid 100 bucks to get it done :( too. I should have just bought powerslots instead. But that was right before I discovered this forum so I didnt know any better.
4874, RE: do the disks yourself
Posted by BlackOZ, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Its been a while since I did drums, but its not that bad, I think the worse parts was bleeding the damn things, You cant just compress the caliper like you can on a disk, you actually have to bleed the fluid out t9 compress the wheel cylender. Check out the manual:

http://2gnt.technologic.org/2gnt-CB.htm

around page 1680
I generated this page in 0.010077953338623 seconds, executing 7 queries.