Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectNoisy struts.
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=33837
33837, Noisy struts.
Posted by John99RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Anyone ever had or heard of the struts actually making noise after time? I've got a set of Tokico Blues (14 years now) and one of them seems like it squeaks bad when compressed or when turning the steering wheel. Showed it to a few people and they say it's the strut and not any ball joint or bushings.
33838, RE: Noisy struts.
Posted by Th3DooM, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
How does it sound exactly? I think I have a similar squeaking noise, especially when taking corners with low speed (about 10-20 mph) or when driving over bumps (then it's more like a "wooosh". I checked every bushing and bearing but I couldn't find a problem.
33839, RE: Noisy struts.
Posted by xcasbonx, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
John,

If it's in the rear I would take a look up top around where the insulator and rubber bushing/pad are at. You might find something peculiar in that area.

On my old 2g, I actually had the metal insulator rust from the inside out and break loose with the strut still bolted down in the middle.
33840, RE: Noisy struts.
It's not in the rear at all, only the right front. I can push down on the car when sitting still and it also makes the noise. When traveling slow through parking lots or when parking in the garage it does it when turning the steering wheel. It's really hard to describe the sound without actually hearing it. Its like a creaking/whining sound I guess. My friend and I have checked all bushings and ball joints and he thinks it's the shock shaft because of the sound.
33841, RE: Noisy struts.
Posted by xcasbonx, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
The way you're describing that sound it sounds like it could be the infamous lower lateral arm balljoint.

Again, old talon I had, made a similar noise like that. Low speed, every turn, screeeeech, squeeeeeek. One day in my driveway went to turn and the balljoint separated, bent the arm, and popped the axle out of the trans.

Long story short, I made the dealer replace all of it on their accord since they had "checked them" before this and just put some sealant on the bottoms of them. That was back in 02...damn.

Then again, it could just be a worn out shock.
33842, RE: Noisy struts.
Nope, replaced those last year. The recall was done years ago, however, I replaced them again because of another suspension noise I was having. That noise was never really found, it just went away a couple months ago..hehe.

Yeah, I'm thinking it's a worn shock.
33843, RE: Noisy struts.
Posted by dalesmitsu, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Do you mean the top shock absorber bushing

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/1995-Mitsubishi-Eclipse/Shock-Absorber-Bushing/_/N-j1merZ8oz52

I have a 1995 gs also,just picked it up. It drove fine home today it started making noise something hitting my strut towers back & forth.

My balljoints & tie rods are good.

Could this be the same noise, you are hearing.

Do you guys know of a good place for tokico blues or kyb agx prices less than autozone.
I generated this page in 0.0079021453857422 seconds, executing 7 queries.