Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subject3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=33739
33739, 3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?
Posted by gramozeka, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
So I found a 3G eclipse in a local junk yard. I want to do a sway bar install on my Talon. The question is due to the mileage on my car I am thinking about updating other components. For now all I read was that the lower and upper control arms are a direct bolt on as well as sway bar. What about the rear link(part with ball joint) is that swappable too?

Another question can the rear suspension be swapped in from avenger(in case 3g eclipse I saw in junk yard does not have rear sway bar?
33740, RE: 3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?
Posted by Grothe3297avenger, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I know parts from the avenger is a direct swap with an eclipse. Also I have 3G upper control arms in the rear of my avenger, not sure what else works.
33741, RE: 3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?
Thanks for your input.

I am getting an entire rear suspension from 3G, will there be anymore input from other members? I need to know now since the rubber boots on my rear links(part with balljoint)are completely broken the balljoint itself still has no play so I am looking to replace the whole part/boot b4 it's too late.
33742, RE: 3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?
Posted by PsychO, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have a 3G sway bar on my avenger. You have to either 1) make a 1/2" spacer where the sway bar mounts to the subframe or 2) swap to a 3G rear subframe.

I'd personally do #1. If not, the sway bar will not clear the raised edges of the subframe.

And this also using 3G lower control arms.
33743, RE: 3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?
spacers..that is disappointing. I though I read somewhere that the stabilizer is a direct drop in with arms offcourse. The only modification needed is enlarging holes on the stabilizer bracket.

Edit
Here is a link where I read about this stuff http://www.mitsu-media.com/showthread.php?t=689

The question still stands will the link with ball joint fit?
33744, RE: 3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?
The rear subframes are the same, minus that spacer for the sway bar.

The rear knuckles are the same, except they use a smaller diameter wheel bearing.

I would like to say yes. I'd personally build customs ones and not look back at the OEM ones.

Here is a picture of mine:

33745, RE: 3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?
Nice pictures, thank you for that. Just have to get the right price for the components.

How does the link in your set up work. That ball joint is open to the elements, how long will it last?
33746, RE: 3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?
It's Teflon lined. It's been on the car for about 5 years, 3 of which on the road. I inspect them periodically and all good so far.

As long as you use quality bearings, like Aurora.
33747, RE: 3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
.....and I thank you guys very much for bringing this up. You see I did a write up on installing a 3g rear in a 2g but I never got around to loading it up and putting in pics. Forgot all about it. This reminded me of what a moron I am, so I just loaded her up in the wiki;

http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=3G_Rear_Suspension_Installed_in_a_2G

Thanks for the reminder
33749, RE: 3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?
Posted by iamnotwhoiam, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Now... Can one use the lower 3g tube arms and a 2g sway bar?
33750, RE: 3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?
Originally posted by iamnotwhoiam
Now... Can one use the lower 3g tube arms and a 2g sway bar?

Dunno, but if you look through the link I posted in the wiki (and the other links in it), You may be able to do a visual off the pics in there.

33751, RE: 3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?
Looks like more work than I bargained for. Need a way around those spacers for sway bar, press and sawzall.
33752, RE: 3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?
Originally posted by gramozeka
Looks like more work than I bargained for. Need a way around those spacers for sway bar, press and sawzall.

You don't need the press and the sawzall for the sway bar install, just the spacers. And those are just about a 1/2" worth of metal stock with two holes drilled through it.
33753, RE: 3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?
Originally posted by PsychO
Originally posted by gramozeka Looks like more work than I bargained for. Need a way around those spacers for sway bar, press and sawzall.
You don't need the press and the sawzall for the sway bar install, just the spacers. And those are just about a 1/2" worth of metal stock with two holes drilled through it.

Yup, the press and sawzall are just for replacing bushings. The modification you are doing is making two spacers for the crossmember (which measured out to 7/8").

I generated this page in 0.0092790126800537 seconds, executing 7 queries.