Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectRear sliding
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=33544
33544, Rear sliding
Posted by TurbchargdSpydr, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Just like the title says, every time I hit a bump on the back wheel, the rear just slides out...I haven't opened up the rear yet but im just looking for some input, maybe someone has had a similar problem. Some info: My car is lowered 2 in' on goldlines and i have 225/35/19 tires on 19/7.5 rims. I do remember that the rubber pieces that go under the mount of the shocks are worn. I am not sure if I have a rear sway bar or not. My goldline springs are rusted and what not. Finally, I do have a front and a rear strut bar. Any input would be much appreciated, thanks!
33547, RE: Rear sliding
Posted by John99RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Sounds like one or both struts might be blown out. When the rear struts went out on my wife's Maxima, the rear was all over the place because the struts weren't keeping the wheels planted firmly on the ground.

When you push down on the rear of the car really hard, does it bounce back up realy fast or does it still bounce up an down a few times kind of slowly? If it's all mushy feeling, then the struts are no good. Hope this helps...:shrug
33548, RE: Rear sliding
Originally posted by John99RS
Sounds like one or both struts might be blown out. When the rear struts went out on my wife's Maxima, the rear was all over the place because the struts weren't keeping the wheels planted firmly on the ground. When you push down on the rear of the car really hard, does it bounce back up realy fast or does it still bounce up an down a few times kind of slowly? If it's all mushy feeling, then the struts are no good. Hope this helps...:shrug

Thanks, I will test this and get back to you asap, however, can this have anything to do with the fact that my rear Agx struts aren't compressed? There an inch or two higher than they should be..
33550, RE: Rear sliding
Posted by John99RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Sorry, can't really help you on that one. I don't have any experience with adjustable shocks/struts.
33555, RE: Rear sliding
Posted by LE30vm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Not having them installed properly could have something to do with it. Check your bushings and have those shocks compressed properly.
33559, RE: Rear sliding
Originally posted by LE30vm
Not having them installed properly could have something to do with it. Check your bushings and have those shocks compressed properly.

Well, the only possible issue I can see other than the top mount rub pieces would be that I installed them backwards! I installed them with the knob facing to the outside of the car, however while surfing the web, I saw a picture of someone who had them installed so that the knobs were facing each other or towards the inside of the vehicle!
33561, RE: Rear sliding
Posted by CODE4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by TurbchargdSpydr
Well, the only possible issue I can see other than the top mount rub pieces would be that I installed them backwards! I installed them with the knob facing to the outside of the car, however while surfing the web, I saw a picture of someone who had them installed so that the knobs were facing each other or towards the inside of the vehicle!

Who is to say that the random image you found while surfing is correct? Have you contacted the manufacturer or located an install manual (if one exists) to find out if orientation matters?

Basing assumptions on an image on the Internet is the last thing that should sway your opinion on what is credible.
33562, RE: Rear sliding
Originally posted by CODE4
Originally posted by TurbchargdSpydr Well, the only possible issue I can see other than the top mount rub pieces would be that I installed them backwards! I installed them with the knob facing to the outside of the car, however while surfing the web, I saw a picture of someone who had them installed so that the knobs were facing each other or towards the inside of the vehicle!
Who is to say that the random image you found while surfing is correct? Have you contacted the manufacturer or located an install manual (if one exists) to find out if orientation matters? Basing assumptions on an image on the Internet is the last thing that should sway your opinion on what is credible.

Oh, I didn't say I was going to flip them, I just pointed it out as a possibility. I was also hoping that someone who previously installed them could point me to the right direction. Dave, how could you even begin to fathom the possibility of me doing such a thing :P lol

- Besides, before I mess with anything else, I must change the rubber mounts on the top first!
33636, RE: Rear sliding
Posted by eclipse420ags, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Mine did thatwhen i lowered my car you have to much negative camber. did the vfaq mod and it went away.
33640, RE: Rear sliding
Posted by 740 turbo brick, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Its probably from being lowered, its bump steer. My buddy had an RS on coil overs and under acceleration the front end would pull one way, and hitting bumps the rear end would walk out one direction or another. Stock ride height for me.
I generated this page in 0.013916015625 seconds, executing 7 queries.