Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectBest pads for DD/track
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=33521
33521, Best pads for DD/track
Posted by SilvrEclips, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I am about to do a complete front brake overhaul and looking for some input on which pads people like the most. I currently have the gsx brake conversion, will be going to stainless lines with DOT 4 fluid. The car is daily driver so I need a pad that will operate when cold. I run a few autoxs each year, planning on at least 5 this season. And I would like to do at least 1 track day if the car is running good.

I have been looking at the EBC USR slotted rotors and going with either the EBC red stuff pads or the HAWK HP+ pads. Has anybody had any experience with these pads? Also other suggestions are welcome, trying to keep the pads around $100 for the front.
33522, RE: Best pads for DD/track
Posted by CODE4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I love Porterfield R4Es and R4S personally.

The E's are a little less grippy when cold but warm up fast. Lots of brake dust, but they will hang you off the seatbelt.
33523, RE: Best pads for DD/track
Posted by Fotowntalon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have green stuff, no complaints but havnt really put them to the test
33524, RE: Best pads for DD/track
Posted by Slo2g, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
http://www.hawkperformance.com/performance/hps.php

I used those a while back when my car was running and imo worked like a champ. They help up to the abuse of Deals Gap even when I had the stock single pot brakes and small rotors.

Deals Gap: http://www.dealsgap.com/

EDIT: I didn't know you where somewhat local! PM me man so we can have a wing/beer night with the Upstate SC 2gnt crew!
33528, RE: Best pads for DD/track
Posted by 420agreenvilleSC, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Slo2g
http://www.hawkperformance.com/performance/hps.php I used those a while back when my car was running and imo worked like a champ. They help up to the abuse of Deals Gap even when I had the stock single pot brakes and small rotors.

Deals Gap: http://www.dealsgap.com/

I have the same brake pads currently installed. Very little dust, grabs very well, and they've lasted FOREVER. I've had em on for a few years now (maybe 3?) and they still have about 40% life left! I got them new a few yrs back on ebay from a seller that had em laying around in his garage for a while and never needed em. I finally got around installing em a few months afterwards and they're damn good

Originally posted by Slo2g
EDIT: I didn't know you were somewhat local! PM me man so we can have a wing/beer night with the Upstate SC 2gnt crew!

for realz! only an hr away! i'm so down! :D
33529, RE: Best pads for DD/track
Yea I am down in Columbia, SC.

From the looks of it the HPS arent going to hold up to track days so I at least need to go with the HP+ pads. They were recommended by a few guys on tuners. I am still curious about the red stuff pads. Wish I could find someone that has used them before.
33539, RE: Best pads for DD/track
Posted by nub, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I use Hawk HPS for DD but they fade too bad at the track if you're doing anything more than autocross.

I love Axxis metal master (xbg) pads for daily driving, but they dust a LOT and sometimes leave molten slag on the inside of the wheel. Upside is if you do canyon driving at night you can spit fire out of your wheels on a good run.

I'd strongly suggest having a track set and a DD set even if you only go once a year. That way if you damage or wear out a pad at the track you have your daily driver spares on hand. I always just swap out my pads during tech inspection beforehand and drive to the track with the race pads on to bed them in a little.

It's VERY DANGEROUS to daily drive on the streets on cold race pads. I'd rather have a soft daily pad that works when cold than a DD/race hybrid any day.
33545, RE: Best pads for DD/track
Posted by VX100, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have some experience with Hawk pads (but not on my eclipse) and I have found they make good pads. As you have said, you are probably going to be a bit too agressive for them.

I have porterfield R4S pads on the Eclipse (for a long time now). You have to really push them to get them to fade. I used them autocrossing and one time where I did several hot laps the pads were still locking up the tires with no problems.

I don't know if the porterfield R4S are going to be agressive enough for you but they do work even when cold. I was just using them today in 25 degree F weather and the snow (had to press the eclipse into winter service, the snow tires for the ralliart only came in tonight, not soon enough for the snow we had today) and they were stopping the car just fine from the start.
33546, RE: Best pads for DD/track
The porterfield pads have been recommended by a few different people so I think I am going to give those a shot.

Unfortunately the brake job has been put on hold for a few weeks till I get the tranny rebuilt and remove the stock ECU from the car.
33563, RE: Best pads for DD/track
Posted by NeFarious, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I currently have the ebc red stuff pads with the ebc brake rotors. The pads work amazing, major improvement over stock. Uhm only bad thing is that they have only lasted me a year and it is already time to replace them. Don't know if it is because of the way i drive or what. But if you are going to be using these for racing, then they work amazing,but won't last you long. Also very little brake dust, which is a plus with for my chrome lip.
33564, RE: Best pads for DD/track
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have the same brake set-up as you (dual piston front, ss lines) and I got the Hawk HPS's (I chose those over the HP+ because of some people complaining about noise. I HATE brake noise). They stop on a fucking dime and they are quiet, but I'm disappointed in the fade. If you get real aggressive on them; here comes the fade. Funny how some people considered them a street/autox pad. I would consider them an excellent street pad, but autox? Not so much.
33565, RE: Best pads for DD/track
I have heard of the HPS pads fading with aggressive driving. This is why I was looking at the hp+ pads. A few guys on tuners recommended going with the porterfield rs-4 so I think I will be trying those pads out. Its nice to finally hear something on the EBC pads, but only lasting a year is pretty bad.
33566, RE: Best pads for DD/track
Posted by NeFarious, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Ya, only draw back to these pads was the life, BUT minimal to no fading!! Very noisy with the rotors i have. I really want to get them again, but $80 a year for a broke college student is a lot haha
I generated this page in 0.0079431533813477 seconds, executing 7 queries.