Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectManualizing the rack
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=33438
33438, Manualizing the rack
Posted by streetlightning, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
So im trying to "manualize" the rack in my 2gnt. Ive seen some have done this so im trying it as well.

I have the rack apart, and i belive i need to eliminate the metal seal that divides the chamber. My question is, ive seen some posts that we need to weld torsion bars? my intail thought was. torsion bars wtf.. we ont have those.. but i just wanna make sure that im not misundertanding what needs to be done, and making sure nothing needs welding before i proceed.

As far as ive read, once you remove the seal on the rack (that makes the chambers) then replace all the seals, then pack with grease and re assembly.

Anyone have any tips/tricks?

33439, RE: Manualizing the rack
Posted by teklein, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Ive read several things about this on the Miata forums.

Never remember anything about welding.
33440, RE: Manualizing the rack
yea me too, i was really referencing that flying miata mod.
33441, RE: Manualizing the rack
Let me know how it works out though.
33442, RE: Manualizing the rack
Hows your progress?

Also, saw this on t00ners the other day - someone did it and no mention of welding anything :)
33443, RE: Manualizing the rack
Posted by iNoise, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Any updates on this?
33450, RE: Manualizing the rack
Not yet, got the seal kit, sometime this week ill put it back together. its almost a 1:1 with flying miata's write up.

Paul , ow Midwest street perf, was the one doing them, he mentioned welding, but i think it was to scare ppl into buying his "service" that took months to return anything.. But yes, no welding required.
33451, RE: Manualizing the rack
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I do know there's a thread on this on Tooners and it didn't end well. It seems that after all was said and done, they still had a manual rack that felt like it was missing its power steering.

Hell, I could do that with a couple of snips of the cutters
33452, RE: Manualizing the rack
Posted by RoninEclipse2G, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Personally I prefer Dino's method of shimming the spring in the pump to get tighter steering at speed.
33453, RE: Manualizing the rack
the guy that didnt end well, didnt tighten the bolt connecting the rack to the steering collum, an it backed out. theres plenty runnng this with no issue.

As for dino's mod, im sure it works, i just want it all gone.
33454, RE: Manualizing the rack
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by streetlightning
the guy that didnt end well, didnt tighten the bolt connecting the rack to the steering collum, an it backed out. theres plenty runnng this with no issue.

But again, I recollect that those that did it said they still had that heavy steering in slow turning situations. No advantage.

Not being an ass or anything (ok, well maybe I am, but I'm not trying to be, lol), but what are the advantages you are looking for out of this? Just to clean up the bay?

33455, RE: Manualizing the rack
Clean up the bay. Ive had no ps, ive tried looping the lines, worked just fine so i figure it will be the same "perfomance" wise . Its a sreet car, driven only in summer and sunshine amd to the track. Im not changing the gearing, so therefore i cant expect any sort of change from when i had the lines looped.
I generated this page in 0.0087189674377441 seconds, executing 7 queries.