Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectHow do I separate rear rotors frum hub on my Gs
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=33288
33288, How do I separate rear rotors frum hub on my Gs
Posted by panthers4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Im replacing the rear wheel bearing on my 97 eclipse. I removed the whole hub from the car with the rotor attached to it. I tried prying the rotor off the hub but no success. Do anyone have any ideas on replacing the bearing?
33289, RE: How do I separate rear rotors frum hub on my Gs
Posted by 2ndGen-ElTalon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Well Depending on where you live in the Country. I know Midwest DSM's have a hell of a time getting rear wheel bearings out.

Usually you want to just beat it out with A BFH "big fucking hammer" while the hub is still mounted to the car.

Some succeed like stated above, others have to take it to a shop and get it pressed out.

If you're tierd of fucking with it, take it to a shop, it'll be out in 10 min, and cost you less then 20$.

Jeff.
33290, RE: How do I separate rear rotors frum hub on my Gs
Posted by Ebster1085, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Beating it with a hammer while attached to the car worked for me..
33291, RE: How do I separate rear rotors frum hub on my Gs
Posted by 740 turbo brick, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I assume and hope you removed the brake caliper before trying said beating? If so, it should come right off. There isnt that much surface area to hold a rotor on to the hub.
33292, RE: How do I separate rear rotors frum hub on my Gs
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Heh heh, you guys make me giggle.

Did you ever look closely at that rotor? Do you see a couple of holes on opposite sides of each other? Do you see where there are threads in those holes? Thinking maybe you could thread a bolt into said holes? See where I'm going with this?

33293, RE: How do I separate rear rotors frum hub on my Gs
Posted by 740 turbo brick, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by bullettdsm
Heh heh, you guys make me giggle. Did you ever look closely at that rotor? Do you see a couple of holes on opposite sides of each other? Do you see where there are threads in those holes? Thinking maybe you could thread a bolt into said holes? See where I'm going with this?

Ive seen them, and I think that every so often, but the amount of bolts I break working on my car leads to the hitting things with a hammer...

By the way, you have PM sir.
33294, RE: How do I separate rear rotors frum hub on my Gs
Posted by Slo2g, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Thats what those bolt holes are for, lol. Screw two screws in and it pushes the rotor away from the hub, easiest way. I usually just tap mine with a hammer though because I don't really have a rust issue.
33295, RE: How do I separate rear rotors frum hub on my Gs
Posted by Ebster1085, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Last time I did a rotor change there was a lot of rust and said holes were rusty as well. Since I was changing out the rotors anyway I figured it would be more effective (and fun) to beat it with a hammer.

Twas quite effective!
33296, RE: How do I separate rear rotors frum hub on my Gs
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Slo2g
Thats what those bolt holes are for, lol. Screw two screws in and it pushes the rotor away from the hub, easiest way.

Yup. A little bit at a time, side to side, pop right off. But I only use those if the hammer tap doesn't do it.

Because as we all know;

Originally posted by Ebster1085
I figured it would be more effective (and fun) to beat it with a hammer.

The BFH is always more entertaining!

33303, RE: How do I separate rear rotors frum hub on my Gs
Posted by RoninEclipse2G, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I actually had a rotor break the other day using the screw technique. the hat actually split and separated. If I can find it I'll take a pic this weekend.

It was only the original factory rotor with 170k miles on it. LOL!
33340, RE: How do I separate rear rotors frum hub on my Gs
Posted by 99RedGs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Im sure this has been solved, but for future reference 2x 8mm x 1.25 hex head bolts about 1.5in long will solve your problem. Just alternate while tightening them down.
I generated this page in 0.0084500312805176 seconds, executing 7 queries.