Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectLoud "click" noise, front end
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=33264
33264, Loud "click" noise, front end
Posted by Ebster1085, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
So I have pretty much always noticed this problem, but it is starting to piss me off so I figured I would post it up to see if anyone knew what it was, or if there is a simple (or difficult) solution.

If I hit a bump in the road or a pothole and I am on the brakes or accelerating, I hear a loud click noise from the front end on whatever side of the car hit the bump. It sounds like something is shifting and clicking back into place. Pretty loud noise, and definitely disconcerting.

If I am just cruising along and hit a bump, nothing, its only when I am on the gas or on the brake that I hear this. I run Tokico HP (blue) struts and Eibach Prokit springs.
33265, RE: Loud "click" noise, front end
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Check the bushings for wear or damage, and inspect the lower control arm ball joints. I had a torn suspension bushing in the rear for a few years that did almost the same thing.

Are your front sway bar end links in good shape and still attached to the car?

Since it's both sides, I'd say chances are you don't have two worn out inner or outer CV's, but the traditional answer for a clicking noise is a worn CV joint...
33267, RE: Loud "click" noise, front end
Thanks D, I will have to get under the car soon and check out all the bushings for wear.
33268, RE: Loud "click" noise, front end
Posted by 420agreenvilleSC, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
curious to see what you find out as i've heard of this issue before, but haven't experienced it yet for myself... yet
33270, RE: Loud
Posted by 2ndGen-ElTalon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by DarkOne
Since it's both sides, I'd say chances are you don't have two worn out inner or outer CV's, but the traditional answer for a clicking noise is a worn CV joint...

Agreed with D. This problem is fairly common on 2G's in the Midwest, Both 2G's I've owned/own had this happening. Mainly during slow turns, but yes while cruising/braking/accelerating I noticed it aswell. Both situations I ended up replacing CV joints.

Check out you're boots Jesse, Take it around some sharp/slow turns. Look in your Hayne's.

Let us know what you come up with.

33275, RE: Loud
Posted by iamnotwhoiam, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Any chance could it be related to outer-inner tie rod?

I was about to post something about a click, pop, clank that keeps happening only when i come out of park to reverse from leaving my garage.. Seems to be happening on my driver's front and not long ago I had taken it in for alignment and they said I had a tie rod boot that was busted, but it was on my passenger front side. Fun eh?
33363, RE: Loud
Posted by xiDsmmanix, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by iamnotwhoiam
Any chance could it be related to outer-inner tie rod? I was about to post something about a click, pop, clank that keeps happening only when i come out of park to reverse from leaving my garage.. Seems to be happening on my driver's front and not long ago I had taken it in for alignment and they said I had a tie rod boot that was busted, but it was on my passenger front side. Fun eh?

Could possibly be a inner tierod. A clank or a pop could also be a joint too.
33366, RE: Loud
Posted by electrohead, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I've had the same noise coming from my front end a few years ago. It ended up being the lower control arm (the expensive one, of course) on the driver's side. It also would occasionally make sounds you would expect a bed to make when being used for 'wrestling'... lol. When you hear/feel the noise, does the car feel like it's shifting? The best way I could explain it would be like going over a bump for a split second on one side and straightening itself out.
33385, RE: Loud
No, when I hear it there is no change in the line of the car. Its just a loud "clank" sound that only happens when i go over a bump while accelerating or braking hard. If I am just cruising along I never hear anything.

Unfortunately I have had the busiest most hectic summer of my life and my poor car has gotten little to no attention because of it. To these ends I have had no time to look into this issue further.
33467, RE: Loud
Posted by Broke4going, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Oops.. been on a posting spree with my free time, didn't see the post date.. hope this helps someone in the future though!

I had a solid single CLANK when my front curved LCA busing wore out, the rear portion of it with the two large bolts. Can also happen when the uppers wear out.

Other sources of front end clicks I've had over the last 10 years are:

loose front/rear engine mount, or worn out broken engine mount busings, worn inner/outer tie rods, damaged ball joints, loose or broken sway bar connections.

Good luck searching and keep us posted!
I generated this page in 0.010226011276245 seconds, executing 7 queries.