Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectSteering is loose
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=33225
33225, Steering is loose
Posted by scorpo86, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I was wondering if there's ways to tighten the steering because when I'm driving down the road I can move my steering wheel about a half an inch or less and stay a little strait still. The alignment is good but just trying to figure out what I could do. Thanks
33226, RE: Steering is loose
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by scorpo86
I was wondering if there's ways to tighten the steering because when I'm driving down the road I can move my steering wheel about a half an inch or less and stay a little strait still. The alignment is good but just trying to figure out what I could do. Thanks

That not much play, really. I think you're looking for a problem where there isn't one.

But, check the tie rod ends for play. If they're sloppy, there you go.
33227, RE: Steering is loose
Do you know how in a middle of a 3 lane highway there are the cracks that seperate the lanes because how they lay the black top. Well, when I switch lanes I can feel my tire grab like there is no stability I guess. Not sure though
33228, RE: Steering is loose
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
That's more related to alignment than steering, as I understand it. Cornering stability is added by increasing camber, and the increased camber in sporty cars like my Eclipse or my Solstice causes things like that to be much more noticeable.

That's my very basic understanding of it, anyway.
33229, RE: Steering is loose
Posted by RoninEclipse2G, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Like Dino said, the first thing I would check is for play in the tie rods. Lock the steering wheel, jack up one side of the car, grab the wheel on either side and see if you can get it to move in the way that normal turning would cause. If the tie rods are bad you'll get a little clunk with some play in the wheel. Check both sides this way.

If it's not the tie rods it could be a worn steering gearbox, but that's unlikely with our standard rack and pinion setup.
33230, RE: Steering is loose
Everything is new and that's what gets me, even the rack its new. What about the sway bar? What kind of problems have you guys have had if the links are worn or just the bolts that hold it to the body Loose? but like I said all new, but as I recall I lost the rubber piece on one side of the rack that holds it to the body if you know what I'm talking about. I don't think that would cause a problem though, do you?
33231, RE: Steering is loose
Posted by RoninEclipse2G, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
The only other thing I can think of if the rack and tie rods are new would be the U joints on the steering shaft.

I generated this page in 0.0099320411682129 seconds, executing 7 queries.