Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectWhat is the material control arms are made off?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=33217
33217, What is the material control arms are made off?
Posted by gramozeka, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
My car has been diagnosed with two bad front lower ball joints on the driver side. I have purchased two control arms, however I noticed they are painted black and a magnet sticks to them which means they are steel. The last time I was under my car I think the control arms were silver/not painted which made me think they were aluminum. Can some one verify the material of the original control arms. If the originals were aluminum I will get them from dealer/parts direct.

Thanks.
33218, RE: What is the material control arms are made off?
Posted by CODE4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Steel.
33219, RE: What is the material control arms are made off?
Posted by RoninEclipse2G, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Like Dave said, cast steel.
33220, RE: What is the material control arms are made off?
Thanks, I guess I will go ahead and use the aftermarket control arms.
33263, RE: What is the material control arms are made off?
Posted by justins71, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I know this is a bit older, but for reference there was a recall on the front LCA's for bad ball joints. Took mine to the dealer a couple years ago and they swapped in new ones for free, no questions asked (assuming it hasn't been done before).
33266, RE: What is the material control arms are made off?
If the recall still works then it is best to be done at the dealer, i did not have the opportunity to do that :-(
For future info :
For the aftermarket trailing arm the mounting holes did not line up correctly, so i had to enlarge one with dremel but at $34 i am not complaining.
I generated this page in 0.0074748992919922 seconds, executing 7 queries.