Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectIncrease Steering Effort
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=33004
33004, Increase Steering Effort
Posted by thakid22, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Is there anyway to increase steering effort on a 2g?
33011, RE: Increase Steering Effort
Posted by adamzty, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Remove the power steering pump.
33012, RE: Increase Steering Effort
Posted by 420agreenvilleSC, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
LMAO! yea, it'll take more effort that way!
33013, RE: Increase Steering Effort
Posted by electrohead, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Why would you want to increase steering effort? Most people want to decrease it.
33014, RE: Increase Steering Effort
Posted by adamzty, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I like it better out on the highway without power steering. It's just sharp turns at low speeds that suck.
33015, RE: Increase Steering Effort
Posted by RoninEclipse2G, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I noticed that using a crank underdrive pulley made my steering a little tighter. You could have a PS underdrive pulley made to make the PS spin even slower and increase the stiffness a little more. Running a thicker fluid like Lucas PS stuff would help too, but I don't know if it would blow out the pump if you just ran it straight.
33016, RE: Increase Steering Effort
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
http://www.2gnt.com/CAPS/main37/main37sub110page2.html

48111. Shim the shit out of that spring.
33023, RE: Increase Steering Effort
I may have to try that one. Thanks Dino!
33024, RE: Increase Steering Effort
Posted by TurbchargdSpydr, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
doesn't stiffining the steering wheel make it a bitch to turn at a stop sign...i dont understand why anyone would want that thats in the city...
33025, RE: Increase Steering Effort
Originally posted by TurbchargdSpydr
doesn't stiffining the steering wheel make it a bitch to turn at a stop sign...i dont understand why anyone would want that thats in the city...

You're thinking about when the PS is eliminated or bypassed. Increasing the steering effort with shims and pulleys won't make a huge difference when stopped, but it will make the steering feel tighter at speed, which can greatly help to reduce over correcting in a bad situation.
33026, RE: Increase Steering Effort
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
Originally posted by TurbchargdSpydr doesn't stiffining the steering wheel make it a bitch to turn at a stop sign...i dont understand why anyone would want that thats in the city...
You're thinking about when the PS is eliminated or bypassed. Increasing the steering effort with shims and pulleys won't make a huge difference when stopped, but it will make the steering feel tighter at speed, which can greatly help to reduce over correcting in a bad situation.

That's why that spring and valve are there. Ever notice how much easier it is to turn the wheel at a stop, versus at-speed?
33027, RE: Increase Steering Effort
Posted by ez, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Maybe we can trade steering pumps from my 99. I've owned two 95s and a 98, and all had super light steering - they feel like true power steering. I don't remember my 99 ever having that, well maybe when I bought her in 99. Somehow it just stiffened over time.
33103, RE: Increase Steering Effort
Posted by SilvrEclips, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Anyone tried this yet? It would be awesome to increase the steering effort slightly. Always liked the way my buddies audi felt driving. Steering felt tight and bit stiffer than the 2gs.
33137, RE: Increase Steering Effort
Originally posted by SilvrEclips
Anyone tried this yet? It would be awesome to increase the steering effort slightly. Always liked the way my buddies audi felt driving. Steering felt tight and bit stiffer than the 2gs.

That is exactly the feel I'm going for... I WILL have it. I just gotta figure out how to go about it. lol
33136, RE: Increase Steering Effort
Originally posted by ez
Maybe we can trade steering pumps from my 99. I've owned two 95s and a 98, and all had super light steering - they feel like true power steering. I don't remember my 99 ever having that, well maybe when I bought her in 99. Somehow it just stiffened over time.

I envy your 99!
33135, RE: Increase Steering Effort
Originally posted by TurbchargdSpydr doesn't stiffining the steering wheel make it a bitch to turn at a stop sign...i dont understand why anyone would want that thats in the city...

exactly.
33134, RE: Increase Steering Effort
Originally posted by TurbchargdSpydr

Yeah, it would make it stiffer. But the point isn't to make it hard to turn. I just want it to take more effort to turn. Stock, you spin the wheel around with a finger or two. I'm looking for BMW heft at the wheel, where a little muscle is required, but not much.
33133, RE: Increase Steering Effort
Originally posted by DarkOne
http://www.2gnt.com/CAPS/main37/main37sub110page2.html 48111. Shim the shit out of that spring.

I went so far as to completely remove that spring... The steering got marginally stiffer while turning the wheel quickly. But normal, driving was little changed.

33132, RE: Increase Steering Effort
I noticed that using a crank underdrive pulley made my steering a little tighter. You could have a PS underdrive pulley made to make the PS spin even slower and increase the stiffness a little more. Running a thicker fluid like Lucas PS stuff would help too, but I don't know if it would blow out the pump if you just ran it straight.

I'm gonna have to look into finding a larger pulley for the PS. Let it turn good and slow. I think that may be the best way. But finding a belt to fit might be a problem. It's worth a try though.
33131, RE: Increase Steering Effort
Originally posted by adamzty
I like it better out on the highway without power steering. It's just sharp turns at low speeds that suck.

Me too! Above 15mph, I like no boost @ all.
But under 10mph, it needs some. But not as much as stock.
33130, RE: Increase Steering Effort
Originally posted by electrohead
Why would you want to increase steering effort? Most people want to decrease it.

I think you have it backwards... I want to increase the effort it takes to turn the wheel. I want to decrease the amount of assist.

The wheel is too easy to turn.
I generated this page in 0.0092511177062988 seconds, executing 7 queries.