Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectBall joint and tie rod removal tool - Miller MB991113
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=32940
32940, Ball joint and tie rod removal tool - Miller MB991113
Posted by CODE4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Anyone know where to buy MB991113 for a decent price? I rented a front end service kit from Advance today that included this tool:

http://www.etoolcart.com/tierodballjointlifterta61900.aspx

Obviously a cheap ass knockoff and the bolt snapped under moderate pressure. Went to Ace to find a replacement bolt however the thread is unique/proprietary to the tool apparently.

The FSM calls out the Miller tool, as seen here http://www.etoolcart.com/tierodballjointseparator.aspx

Obviously more expensive but not as likely to fail. After some googling the average cost is around $140 for the correct tool. Anyone know of a better priced solution?

I am servicing lower control arms/lower ball joints with the axle in place.
32941, RE: Ball joint and tie rod removal tool - Miller MB991113
Posted by megaskillz, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yeah, that part looks like if you breathe on it hard enough it would break. I know of a part similar to the one you used but looks better built on harber freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-quarter-inch-forged-ball-point-joint-separator-99849.html

It's only $20 plus you can use online coupons to get it even cheaper.

Personally I used a large pitman arm remover to remove my upper control arms and sway bar endlinks, but never tried on lowers. It was like $15 at autozone.

If you insist on having the Miller part, I found it for $128 here. http://www.toolsource.com/tie-rod-end-remover-p-103519.html?sourceid=googleps

I know its just shy of 140, but figured more money for you for beer. :cheers

32942, RE: Ball joint and tie rod removal tool - Miller MB991113
Posted by dalesmitsu, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
NOt sure if this right tool but looks stronger.
One I found is from OTC but its five piece kit at 133.

I live next door to paint shop called Alliance automotive supply/ but its really Premier Paint they sell high quaility tools, prices are pretty high.
32943, RE: Ball joint and tie rod removal tool - Miller MB991113
Posted by megaskillz, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by dalesmitsu
NOt sure if this right tool but looks stronger. One I found is from OTC but its five piece kit at 133. I live next door to paint shop called Alliance automotive supply/ but its really Premier Paint they sell high quaility tools, prices are pretty high.

I just found the same set by US General on harbor freight for $70. Looks like it has lifetime warranty. Plus you probably can save even more with one of their coupons.

Hmmm.. I might buy that for myself lol. Looks very useful. You can find it here. http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-front-end-service-tool-set-66686.html
32946, RE: Ball joint and tie rod removal tool - Miller MB991113
Posted by freelancefool, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Define servicing them? Are you replacing the ball joints? If so, just get the ball joint fork that you beat between the spindle and the control arm. Guaranteed to destroy the boots, but very effective if you are just replacing the arms. $20.
32947, RE: Ball joint and tie rod removal tool - Miller MB991113
This time around I am replacing a torn boot on the lateral arm. Arm has 10k miles but I tore the boot accidentally when installing my konis.

I ordered the OTC version from summitracing. They have good customer service in the event of any problems.
32948, RE: Ball joint and tie rod removal tool - Miller MB991113
Posted by freelancefool, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
In that case, you a ball joint fork. I would anyway.

32949, RE: Ball joint and tie rod removal tool - Miller MB991113
I have a couple of those lying around, but I never liked them much. Granted I am replacing the boots anyway - but the pickle fork always seemed too destructive for my taste.

I use the forks on truck knuckles and such. Either way, the replacement tool is en route from Summit and should serve its purpose. For shits though I may buy a pickle fork with the appropriate shank for my air hammer.
32955, RE: Ball joint and tie rod removal tool - Miller MB991113
Update for the thread. Had 30 minutes between watching the baby, wife coming home from work and myself needing to leave for work. OTC tool from summitracing worked perfectly. Pulled the arm off and took off the old boot. Tomorrow I should be able to grease it up & install the new boot.

Now that the daily temperatures are dropping to low 90s I want to put some miles on her again. Driving the wife's civic is killing me.
32956, RE: Ball joint and tie rod removal tool - Miller MB991113
Posted by itsaslow95, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey i know that I am late on this reply and I'm sorry for that i didn't see it earlier. My neighbor once showed me a trick to tie-rod ball joints, which i didn't believe until I tried it and it worked well.

Grab the tie rod with one hand and apply force in the direction it needs to go to come out.
with the nut loosely on the threads of the ball joint (i run it on until its flush with the top of the stud to not damage threads) smack it with a hammer. apparently the constant pressure you are applying with your hand and the shock if you will from the hammer is enough to pull it loose.

believe it or not it hasn't not worked yet. best part is it's FREE :)

other then for tie rods, i just use the fork. Harbor Freight 9.99 :thumbsup:
32957, RE: Ball joint and tie rod removal tool - Miller MB991113
That is an old trick. Does not work for our ball joints unless the axle is removed from the knuckle.
33001, RE: Ball joint and tie rod removal tool - Miller MB991113
Posted by thakid22, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
The right tools are essential. It makes this job much easier!
I generated this page in 0.011708974838257 seconds, executing 7 queries.