Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectFront struts moving around
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=32896
32896, Front struts moving around
Posted by scorpo86, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have Eibach springs and Kyb struts but they seem to move around a lot when I gas it a little, it sounds like when your driving next to someone and they hit a bump you can hear the struts bouncing around. I know they are in right and the kybs are new but im stumped how to fix this.
32897, RE: Front struts moving around
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Moving around how? They shouldn't move at all...
32898, RE: Front struts moving around
Posted by teklein, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by DarkOne
Moving around how? They shouldn't move at all...

I think you are hearing something else.

Check your ball joints, especially the lower one.
32899, RE: Front struts moving around
Posted by megaskillz, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I would definitely check your control arms for worn balljoints and bushings especially the upper control arms. I was experiencing something similar and felt something moving around up top around struts every time I hit a bump. Come to find out, I had a worn bushing in the upper control arm which caused stress on the pivot shafts which eventually broke through the body in the engine bay. Not a good look or feel. I had to get it welded. I hope this is not the case with you.

Try bouncing the front suspension a bit by pressing on the fenders around the strut area to imitate a bump. See if you can pinpoint the noise this way first. If you cant hear anything then thoroughly check each balljoint and bushing.
32900, RE: Front struts moving around
My whole front end is new, and I mean everything. I thought it was just a motor mount loose but as I hit bumps it sounds like I have blown struts. I would coast in 3rd gear and tap on the gas just a little and the body would move before the shocks. I really cant do anything till tomorrow but I'm getting sick of my front end ALWAYS feeling loose. I even have Rsdsm sway bars.... I'M Sick of it.
32901, RE: Front struts moving around
Posted by megaskillz, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
My first question is are the springs new as well? You stated in your earlier post the the shocks were new. Worn springs can put stress on your shocks.

My second question is what type of shocks do you have? The gr-2 or the agx? If you have the gr-2s they are about stock quality. Stiffer springs with stock like shocks is going to give you a more bouncy ride quality. Also have you replaced the rear as well?
32902, RE: Front struts moving around
Posted by Ebster1085, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I run Tokico HP struts and Eibach Prokit springs and I have always had a slight "shifting" issue. I never feel any actual shifting, but under hard braking or hard acceleration, if I hit a big bump there will always be a loud "click" from somewhere within my front suspension, as if something was shifting and then snapping back into place. I have never been able to track it down, and it doesn't happen very often or effect daily driving, so I have just ignored it.
32903, RE: Front struts moving around
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by scorpo86
I would coast in 3rd gear and tap on the gas just a little and the body would move before the shocks.

That sounds like a motor mount. Make sure the rear MM bracket hasn't worked its way off the diff housing, it'll cause something very similar to what you're describing.
33006, RE: Front struts moving around
Posted by thakid22, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Did you ever find the problem?
33347, RE: Front struts moving around
I did, When I replaced the rack the new one didn't come with that rubber bushing around it. Ill have to find one to put on
I generated this page in 0.01023006439209 seconds, executing 7 queries.