Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectRear Camber Mod Causing Noise?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=32560
32560, Rear Camber Mod Causing Noise?
Posted by Ebster1085, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
So I recently did the rear camber mod and used 5 washers per bolt. I used class 10.9 bolts, hardened washers, and a lock washer on every nut. At the same time I did the camber mod, I also had to change my lower links and cam bolts as the parts were rusted out and toe angle could no longer be adjusted.

Since doing this mod, I have noticed strange noises coming from the rear end when taking turns (both right and left) as well as sometimes when I go over a bump. It sounds almost like a rubbing, or something sliding back and forth during the duration of a turn. Really weird. I checked all the bolts, both on the links and the upper mount, and everything is tight.

Anyone ever have this problem or have any idea what this could be?
32564, RE: Rear Camber Mod Causing Noise?
Posted by RoninEclipse2G, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Depending on the size of your tires you might be rubbing. Check the tire face for wear, sometimes smearing some mud on the face of the tire and see if suddenly a section is clean after a few bumps.
32565, RE: Rear Camber Mod Causing Noise?
Not a bad idea with the mud or chalk maybe. I did take a look at the tires for wear last night, and I didnt say anything, but that doesnt necessarily mean there were no marks.

I am currently running 18x7.5" wheels with 225/45/18 rubber. For suspension, the car is dropped with Tokico HP struts and Eibach ProKit springs.
32569, RE: Rear Camber Mod Causing Noise?
Posted by freelancefool, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Also, consider the bushings. You are loading them differently and they may be tearing or the bolts may be rusted up tight in the sleeves in the bushings.
32570, RE: Rear Camber Mod Causing Noise?
Could be Clay. And judging by how rusted the cam bolts were I wouldnt be surprised if some of the other suspension joints are fucked too and not used to the new stance.

Not sure if this will shed any light on the issue, but I noticed today that the sound is definitely more noiceable when there are more people in the car.

The other day when I really noticed it I had two of my buddies riding with me. Today I went for a ride by myself and barely even noticed it, except once when I hit a bump in the road while taking a turn.
32571, RE: Rear Camber Mod Causing Noise?
Bust out the chalk and mark where the tires could rub the fenders, Get some friends in the car and see if it rubs. If there's no rubbing then start checking the bushings.

If it's more noticable with more weight I'm inclined to think that it's fender rub. I had the same issue with another car I had.
32572, RE: Rear Camber Mod Causing Noise?
Thanks Erik. Turns out it is a tire rubbing issue.

Anyone have a good and easy way to roll the fenders on our car?
32574, RE: Rear Camber Mod Causing Noise?
Baseball bat wedged between the tire and the fender is the cheapest. I've heard that some places rent fender rollers that bolt to your wheel hub, but I don't know about your area
32575, RE: Rear Camber Mod Causing Noise?
Yea, I will have to make a few calls about renting the tool. I spent some time last night watching some videos on YouTube about the different methods for rolling the fender, and it seems like the easiest for me would be the bat or pipe method.

If I can find someplace that rents out the tool, though, I will probably go that route, as it looks like the most effective and least risky way to go. Really dont want any paint damage to occur.
32576, RE: Rear Camber Mod Causing Noise?
Posted by teklein, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Ebster1085
Yea, I will have to make a few calls about renting the tool. I spent some time last night watching some videos on YouTube about the different methods for rolling the fender, and it seems like the easiest for me would be the bat or pipe method. If I can find someplace that rents out the tool, though, I will probably go that route, as it looks like the most effective and least risky way to go. Really dont want any paint damage to occur.

That or buy the Eastwood for 250ish, then rent it for 40 bucks.

Person sends you 300 bucks shipped, when you get it back, you give 250 back. And so forth.

Rollyourfender.com does that.
32577, RE: Rear Camber Mod Causing Noise?
Originally posted by teklein
Rollyourfender.com does that.

Nice find Tim!
32578, RE: Rear Camber Mod Causing Noise?
Wow! That really is an awesome find Tim. I think I will do that.

Thanks buddy!
32579, RE: Rear Camber Mod Causing Noise?
Posted by freelancefool, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Ebster1085
Could be Clay. And judging by how rusted the cam bolts were I wouldnt be surprised if some of the other suspension joints are fucked too and not used to the new stance. Not sure if this will shed any light on the issue, but I noticed today that the sound is definitely more noiceable when there are more people in the car. The other day when I really noticed it I had two of my buddies riding with me. Today I went for a ride by myself and barely even noticed it, except once when I hit a bump in the road while taking a turn.

I missed the 18s on 7.5" wheels. Glad you figured it out.
32609, RE: Rear Camber Mod Causing Noise?
Posted by teklein, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
To the top...
I generated this page in 0.0096840858459473 seconds, executing 7 queries.