Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectHelp, Quick! My car hates me... bottoming out on rear, help!
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=32363
32363, Help, Quick! My car hates me... bottoming out on rear, help!
Posted by J, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Before I say anything, let me first mention that I've had my RX7 rims on my '99 for a LONG time perfectly fine w/ ~5mm spacers (not lowered though). Todays adventure is on my '97 which is lowered.

My car (lowered) w/ the same exact tire size NEVER bottomed out, as in ever... but the alignment was all kinds of sh*t. Car shook at high speeds and was chewing the crap out of my tires. Well it was time for some new tires, and I was determined to right all wrongs.

So I put on the camber kits and got an alignment w/ my fubar tires on OEM 16" rims, and my nightmare began. All of a sudden, I can't go anywhere without bottoming out or hitting the control arm, and you can forget having any passengers in the car. I figured, okay... well, let's get some new tires and spacers and see if that corrects things... and it didn't. If anything I suspect my car has actually gotten significantly worse. Now I can't even take 2x wheels over a speed bump without squeeking my tires on the opposite side chassis.

Let me say that all of my issues ONLY occur on the rear of the car, and on both sides! The car is quite noticably lower than it once was, as I can only get a single finger between the top of the tire and wheel well. When someone gets in the car, you can see it drop further (yet still not scrubbing). Finally, my ride is not in any way, shape, or form described as bouncy. My car doesn't do the wave up and down going down the road, but it does appear that my car is unable to keep itself lifted up anymore.

1.) Could the alignment shop have done something to cause this?
2.) Were my shocks blown and I just didn't know it?
3.) Do I need to take my alignment out of spec w/ positive camber?
4.) Are my shocks blown?

BEFORE
Tokico Blues w/ Eibach Prokit
OEM 16" Wheels w/ 225/50R16
NO Wheel Spacers
Alignment = FUBAR!

AFTER
Tokico Blues w/ Eibach Prokit
3rd Gen RX7 (16x8, 50mm offset) w/ 225/50R16 Yokohama S-Drive
15mm Hubcentric Wheel Spacers
Ingalls Camber Kits (Front & Rear)
Alignment = Smooth as glass, dead straight/no-shaking

I would greatly appreciate some quick responses as I've got my eye on 2x new Tokico Illuminas (just to replace the rear), but I need to order them within a couple hours so they can go out same day and arrive here in time for me to install.

Thoughts?!?
- J

::updated::
Here's my complete DSM Registry: http://www.dsmregistry.com/137

32364, RE: Help, Quick! My car hates me... bottoming out on rear, help!
Posted by 420agreenvilleSC, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
this is why i dont deviate from stock suspension. sorry J
32365, RE: Help, Quick! My car hates me... bottoming out on rear, help!
While I can appreciate the extra travel in the factory suspension, it's still too high and soft for my tastes... anyone have any suggestions/comments/observations on original post?

- J

32366, RE: Help, Quick! My car hates me... bottoming out on rear, help!
Posted by Nightfall, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Are you sure the tires aren't rubbing the inner fender now? That's all I can really think of that would occur when adding the camber kit. I have 18's/Sportlines and can't fit a finger between the tire and lip of the quarter panel, and that's without a camber kit and about 2-3 degrees negative camber. Also the only reason I haven't put my camber kit on yet, probably going to have to roll the lip :(
32367, RE: Help, Quick! My car hates me... bottoming out on rear, help!
That's a very good question... no, the fenders are not rolled; yes, they are digging into the tires (never even checked or noticed). Once upon a time, in another car far-far-away, I had a tire rub the fender which actually painted it with black rubber, and it was obvious that it was rubbing the fender. It didn't even occur to me the same might be happening as it wasn't so obvious. Instead, I see the fender lip (the metal fender itself, not the wheel well) has a sharp edge and has actually added another groove into the tire; and in such a clean/uniform mannor that it looks 'from the factory'.

HMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

Now, I will say that
a.) the fender wall is *not* rubbing at all (the plastic guard)
b.) the fender itself *is* digging into the tire, and has made a perfect groove
c.) the control arm has been shined clean aka marked black where the tire has hit up against it.

Very helpful, thank you... in your (or anyones') experience, can crashing the tire into the metal fender lip cause the same sound effect as hitting the control arm? (hard loud thump, very painful sounding - the fender is quite strong & rigid, but not as so much as a control arm)

Are you supposing then: that with all the extra camber in my previously fubar'd alignment, that the tire's edge was clearing the fender? Would you again suggest that adding larger 15mm spacers has caused more of the tire to be exposed to said fender? (as in, the rubber is not tapered, and is making matters worse as described in original post)

You may have saved me $200 in needless struts (minus the cost of a baseball bat), or cost me another $60 for more expensive 2-day shipping, lol. Regardless I'm thankful.

Bear in mind, I've been running the exact same tire size without issue for a long, long time. Only camber, spacers, alignment, and possibly offset has changed... not tire size.
- J

32368, RE: Help, Quick! My car hates me... bottoming out on rear, help!
Posted by freelancefool, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
With a +50mm offset and the 15mm spacers that gives you a +65mm offset. You are hearing the lip of the tire strike the body. Roll your fenders. To test this theory, go back to the original wheels that you had on the car. Even with the shitty tires, you shouldn't hear anything.
32374, RE: Help, Quick! My car hates me... bottoming out on rear, help!
Posted by User_22, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by freelancefool
With a +50mm offset and the 15mm spacers that gives you a +65mm offset. You are hearing the lip of the tire strike the body. Roll your fenders. To test this theory, go back to the original wheels that you had on the car. Even with the shitty tires, you shouldn't hear anything.

+1
I generated this page in 0.010732173919678 seconds, executing 7 queries.