Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectTein Flex shocks gone to hell. - Replacement options??
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=32322
32322, Tein Flex shocks gone to hell. - Replacement options??
Posted by eclipsegs97, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
As the title suggests, 3 of my Tein Type Flex shocks have leaked and lost all fluid. I am looking for a replacement that is similar to this setup, preferably with a warranty. I paid about $1300 for this back in the day, which is what I'm willing to spend this time.

I really liked the attached pillow ball upper mount the Flex came with, so I'm looking for that feature. Damping force adjustability is not so important to me, as track use will be limited.

If anyone has any advice, I'd really appreciate it!
32323, RE: Tein Flex shocks gone to hell. - Replacement options??
Posted by foggy45, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i'll buy them as is right now for $200 paypal in hand

. . .then i will send them back to Tein and have them rebuilt
http://www.tein.com/service/index.html

seriously if you spent 1300 in the beginning why burn it again?
32324, RE: Tein Flex shocks gone to hell. - Replacement options??
Hey thanks for the link. Didn't know Tein had U.S. facilities. Will check into that. Also, would extreme cold weather have anything to do with the shocks failing? I live in North Dakota where the temp can get to -40 in the winter.
32325, RE: Tein Flex shocks gone to hell. - Replacement options??
Posted by foggy45, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
+1 for rebuildable parts! :thumbsup

the freezing point of the shock oil is way lower then -40, however i would think that the could have an effect on the seals.
i would think that is where your problem stems from.

ask Tein before you send them in, they might have a "cold weather package" or parts they might be able to put in :shrug
32327, RE: Tein Flex shocks gone to hell. - Replacement options??
Posted by mitsu95023, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by eclipsegs97
As the title suggests, 3 of my Tein Type Flex shocks have leaked and lost all fluid. I am looking for a replacement that is similar to this setup, preferably with a warranty. I paid about $1300 for this back in the day, which is what I'm willing to spend this time. I really liked the attached pillow ball upper mount the Flex came with, so I'm looking for that feature. Damping force adjustability is not so important to me, as track use will be limited. If anyone has any advice, I'd really appreciate it!

How many miles on the shocks before they started to leak?
32353, RE: Tein Flex shocks gone to hell. - Replacement options??
Sorry for the late reply, I guess it was about 40,000 miles until they started to crap out.
32354, RE: Tein Flex shocks gone to hell. - Replacement options??
Originally posted by eclipsegs97
Sorry for the late reply, I guess it was about 40,000 miles until they started to crap out.

hey thanks, im hoping that this same thing doesnt happen to mine, but i guess i'll actually have to finish my car and put them in to find out, it seems strange that such a quality product would begin to crap out with only 40,000 miles on them
32355, RE: Tein Flex shocks gone to hell. - Replacement options??
Posted by freelancefool, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Not really. If you think about it, most cars with coilovers are running much higher spring rates and require much stronger valving to be able to handle that. You are also more likely to drive hard because that is why you buy coilovers.
32359, RE: Tein Flex shocks gone to hell. - Replacement options??
i really didn't think of it that way, makes a lot of sense
32615, RE: Tein Flex shocks gone to hell. - Replacement options??
Posted by eclipsed08, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Does anyone know if tokico does this? My five ways have just shit the bed in the front.

I didn't mean to highjack this thread, but I just wrote to tokico the other day...and thought this ad was ironic considering I just wrote them.

Thank you
32620, RE: Tein Flex shocks gone to hell. - Replacement options??
Posted by Tuxdreamerx, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by eclipsed08
I didn't mean to highjack this thread,

Not to mention reviving an old thread.
I generated this page in 0.0079600811004639 seconds, executing 7 queries.