Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectHELP - Thumping noise when driving
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=32286
32286, HELP - Thumping noise when driving
Posted by DalSlacker, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I generally diagnose and fix my own problems, but this one has me stumped. I'd appreciate any input I could get
I have a 98 Eclipse NT and this issue started just recently

If I let off the throttle, I immediately hear a thud
If I drive at a constant speed, I hear a constant thud-thud-thud-thud
The sound only really goes away if I'm either accelerating or braking (or not moving)
I can feel the thud, but I hear it more than I feel it. It's not a violent thing, it's just obvious that something isn't quite right

I jacked it up and checked the suspension for play, and everything appears to be tight
In case it's related, I changed the timing belt a few weeks ago also, but there was no thump until a couple days ago. The Tbelt is tight and the engine runs/revs great.
Someone help please
Thanks in advance
32288, RE: HELP - Thumping noise when driving
Posted by Tuxdreamerx, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Check your engine mounts.
32290, RE: HELP - Thumping noise when driving
Posted by 420agreenvilleSC, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
yea, check your front and back mounts. It may be sides, but i doubt it. while your car's off, try jolting your motor frontwards/backwards and see if you hear the thud. If you hear it, locate it.
32291, RE: HELP - Thumping noise when driving
Posted by DalSlacker, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Thanks guys
I couldn't reproduce the noise with the car stationary, but I found that the longitudinal bolt through the passenger side motor mount wasn't as tight as it could've (should've) been. Tightened her up, and it's fine now
Cheers
32311, RE: HELP - Thumping noise when driving
Posted by Babbz413, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
yeah sounds like your motor mounts are loose letting the engine to rock back n forth.
32312, RE: HELP - Thumping noise when driving
Posted by 420agreenvilleSC, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Babbz413
yeah sounds like your motor mounts are loose letting the engine to rock back n forth.

he's already fixed it.... :wary
32313, RE: HELP - Thumping noise when driving
Posted by RoninEclipse2G, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC
Originally posted by Babbz413 yeah sounds like your motor mounts are loose letting the engine to rock back n forth.
he's already fixed it.... :wary

I'd bet someone is trying to build up a post count.

Badly.
I generated this page in 0.0090599060058594 seconds, executing 7 queries.