Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectslop in 2g rack
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=32260
32260, slop in 2g rack
Posted by lamrith, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I had my 2G up on jackstands and found something a bit disturbing.

I can move the the front wheels side to side. Before everyone says balljoints, I dug into it and it is NOT the bushings or ball joints in the suspension, wheel, hub. The movement is all inside the boot of the steering rack. I didn't get a tape measure on it, but the tierod is moving in/out of the rack a good 1/2" before it gets any resistance and starts to move the rack internals. I bumped the wheel with my knee installing a trans temp gauge and clunk it moved..

Is there a balljoint or some kind in there that can be replaced or something to be tightened? I am guessing I have to drain the rack of oil to pull the boot, or doing so will drain the boot?? My Chiltons manual did not seem to show any rack internals for me to look at..

Car is my daily driver, so want to have an idea of things I need on hand to get it fixed without having to run to the store..

32261, RE: slop in 2g rack
Posted by Nightfall, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You need some inner tie rod ends. And there's no need to drain the rack to replace them, no fluid should be in the boot unless your rack is bad. The clamps that hold the boot on are a pain to get off but if you're carefull enough you can reuse them. Unscrew the tie rod end and relpace. Make sure to get an alignment afterwards too.
32263, RE: slop in 2g rack
Posted by CODE4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by lamrith
Before everyone says balljoints, I dug into it and it is NOT the bushings or ball joints in the suspension, wheel, hub.

We are not going to say ball joints because it is not the ball joints. If you had play at the 12 and 6 o'clock then it would be.

Grabbing the tire at 3 and 9 o'clock and finding slop is more often than not inner and/or outer tie rods.

Inner tie rod - $20 @autozone.
Inner tie rod removal/install tool - $60 @NAPA.

Looks like a foot long piece of black pipe with a square drive on one end. Try to rent it if it is available in your area.

And of course, alignment.
32264, RE: slop in 2g rack
Posted by Tuxdreamerx, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by CODE4
Originally posted by lamrith Before everyone says balljoints, I dug into it and it is NOT the bushings or ball joints in the suspension, wheel, hub.
We are not going to say ball joints because it is not the ball joints. If you had play at the 12 and 6 o'clock then it would be. Grabbing the tire at 3 and 9 o'clock and finding slop is more often than not inner and/or outer tie rods. Inner tie rod - $20 @autozone. Inner tie rod removal/install tool - $60 @NAPA. Looks like a foot long piece of black pipe with a square drive on one end. Try to rent it if it is available in your area. And of course, alignment.

Agreed. There is fluid in my drivers side boot but I put lucas power steering stop leak in it and it stopped.
32266, RE: slop in 2g rack
Posted by RoninEclipse2G, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Tuxdreamerx
Agreed. There is fluid in my drivers side boot but I put lucas power steering stop leak in it and it stopped.

good stuff, if the leak can be stopped that stuff will do the job.
I generated this page in 0.010018110275269 seconds, executing 7 queries.