Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectStrut tower rust!!!
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=32107
32107, Strut tower rust!!!
Posted by Babbz413, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
One of my strut towers is rusted out bad! what can be done to prevent this cancer from spreading?!
32108, RE: Strut tower rust!!!
Posted by CODE4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yes. Same as anywhere else you would have rust problems. Sand, clean, weld new material if needed, and paint.
32109, RE: Strut tower rust!!!
Posted by 96mitseclipsers, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Better start fixing it soon or its just gonna get worse.
32110, RE: Strut tower rust!!!
Posted by Nemo, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
yeah, before you have a wreck too-what a suck ass place to rust out
32111, RE: Strut tower rust!!!
Posted by boostdtalon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i have the same problem. i'm going to have to cut out sections and reweld them. i was amazed to see it there.

stable: 05' Evo MR
95' GS (part of jackstand racing since 05')
32112, RE: Strut tower rust!!!
Posted by 96mitseclipsers, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
What causes the rust to start right around that area? is it the metal? I know on almost every eclipse RS,GS,GST,GSX its there or is starting to show up there.
32113, RE: Strut tower rust!!!
Posted by adamzty, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 96mitseclipsers
What causes the rust to start right around that area? is it the metal? I know on almost every eclipse RS,GS,GST,GSX its there or is starting to show up there.

Road salt.
32114, RE: Strut tower rust!!!
Posted by ez, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
yup. Because I've NEVER seen this on a single california 2g. One good thing about living here :)
32115, RE: Strut tower rust!!!
Posted by Fallen4ng31, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
We're fortunate enough not to have that issue here in FL, either. Unless, of course, you leave it out in a hurricane. ;)
32116, RE: Strut tower rust!!!
Posted by freelancefool, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Pssh! Mine has seen about 5 hurricanes now. I have no rust issues anywhere on the car.
32117, RE: Strut tower rust!!!
Posted by Babbz413, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Don't mean too sound like an idiot...but I'm gonna sound like an idiot. how much would something like that cost? Ive never had any body work done on a car (besides front bumpers redone). I keep my work on performance. what should i expect to pay when I'm calling around.

It is so bad in one spot of my right strut tower. you can see the tire if you look through it.

Thanks guys!
32119, RE: Strut tower rust!!!
Posted by adamzty, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Babbz413
Don't mean too sound like an idiot...but I'm gonna sound like an idiot. how much would something like that cost? Ive never had any body work done on a car (besides front bumpers redone). I keep my work on performance. what should i expect to pay when I'm calling around. It is so bad in one spot of my right strut tower. you can see the tire if you look through it. Thanks guys!

Well, you are going to need new material welded on. That can get expensive pretty fast. Take it to a few body shops for a quote.
32136, RE: Strut tower rust!!!
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Babbz413
Don't mean too sound like an idiot...but I'm gonna sound like an idiot. how much would something like that cost?

eleventy billion dollars

32137, RE: Strut tower rust!!!
Posted by CODE4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by bullettdsm
Originally posted by Babbz413 Don't mean too sound like an idiot...but I'm gonna sound like an idiot. how much would something like that cost?
eleventy billion dollars

:p
32165, RE: Strut tower rust!!!
Posted by Tuxdreamerx, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Well your not the only one with that problem. When I got into the DSM game I first had a 95 talon ESI and as I was tearing the motor out I noticed a horrible amount of rust on the strut tower I could actually see through it.

So I went to a friend of my dads that does collision repair and he was going to find a good strut tower from another eclipse/talon have it cut out then cut mine out and weld the good tower into its place and all for $220 plus the cost of the used tower.

Now here are some problems I have been told about when it comes to replacing a strut tower...

The biggest problem is that it has to be pretty darn accurate or you will have alignment problems.

Another hassle is that almost all of the parts, suspension and anything in the way of cutting that tower out has to be taken off before the repair can be done.

Anyway sorry to make such a long post but hopefully its not rusted out entirely.

Just as a side note DO NOT use fiberglass or bondo to repair any holes in the tower as that will greatly reduce the integrity of the tower and will most likely just break once some force is applied to the tower from just everyday driving conditions.

Here are the pics of the towers in that talon, Needless to say I had that shell crushed.

Gotta throw in a pic of this cooked engine lol
I generated this page in 0.0089020729064941 seconds, executing 7 queries.