Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectEnergy Suspension Motor Mounts
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=31681
31681, Energy Suspension Motor Mounts
Posted by Nisshoku81, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
About two weeks ago I installed ES Motor Mount inserts in my front motor mount and I thought I felt a difference but I think it was just me. The car still had the same smooth idle so I was wondering what everyone was talking about the car vibrating more. Today I finally worked up the nerve to install the back motor mount. It was much easier than I was expecting. I took a test drive right after I was done and damn, the vibration lol. Only when idle, it's noticeable. Once i'm driving it feels normal. The car definitely feels solid now but am I suppose to notice any other differences besides the vibration?
31682, RE: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts
Posted by 740 turbo brick, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Whats that vibration like? Is it like a good engine-y vibration or an annoying one?
31683, RE: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts
It's definitely a good engine-y vibration haha. It easly noticeable the vibration is caused by the engine not being able to move as freely anymore.
31699, RE: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts
Posted by Petri, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I think I have heard or this only happening when the front motor mount is installed, Why don't you do some testing for us and take out the front and tell us what it feels like, if u have extra time
31710, RE: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts
So I took out the front motor mount and the vibration is still there. I actually replaced the front mount at least 2 weeks before doing the rear and the vibration started when I did the rear which make since in a way. I've gotten used to it and it really doesn't bother me anymore. It feels very sturdy now. One question, if I replace the side mounts, how much more vibration will come from it?

Thanks everyone!
31711, RE: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts
Posted by xcasbonx, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Nisshoku81
One question, if I replace the side mounts, how much more vibration will come from it? Thanks everyone!

Haha, man I was about to reply and say...wait till you install the side mount insert. You might think it is too much, but you get used to it. Personally, I like it and it never bothered me.

A word of advice...when you remove that side mount remember you will need to have the steel ring that runs around the inside diameter of the mount pressed out or removed in some fashion then the insert will pop right in.
31712, RE: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts
Posted by RoninEclipse2G, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
do the window rattle fix before you do the side mounts and you won't be bothered :7

I just filled my mounts with urethane, wasn't too much vibration, I imagine that the ES solid mounts would be a little harsher
31713, RE: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts
Posted by foggy45, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
replaced front with an AFX solid mount, and the rest with Prothanes.
yeah . . . not bad but you definatly know its not stock, like getting a hummer while you idle :)

HOWEVER one issue that might creep up is soem sensors not liking the vibration too much.
my IAT hates me now :P
31714, RE: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts
Thanks for all the replies. As far as pounding out the press ring inside of the side motor mounts, I've done it before. You can never be ready for the amount of hell those things unleash on you lol. I think I will be doing my side mounts as soon as I start doing my suspension. I plan on ordering Tokico Illuminas next month. Man I can't wait.

As far as the window fix, I will definitely need to do this soon. Is there a writeup floating around here some where? Lastly, I couldn't imagine having solid mounts. I don't feel the need to fall out of my car in a concussion lol j/m. What do you think about the Energy Suspension complete suspension bushing set? I'm definitely going to buy it but wanted some input.
31820, RE: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts
Here's what I've found on the window rattle fix.

http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=90915
31854, RE: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts
Posted by halfasss101, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I am assuming the prothane motor mount inserts are just as good? Anybody like one brand more than the other or the same, just different name?
31855, RE: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts
I have the Prothane's. I've heard people say they are a bit more firmer than the ES ones. However, the difference between the two is minimal.
31856, RE: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts
thats good. They wont wear out over time would they? I'm debating on sending them back and just filling the mounts with flexane. What do you guys think?
31857, RE: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts
Posted by freelancefool, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Well, you already have them in your hand. Either way you go the mounts have to come out. As long as you aren't hurting for cash, I vote install the Prothanes. If you are hurting for cash, quit pouring money into the blackhole in your driveway.
31858, RE: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts
I must say my ride is getting much better since I installed the ES mount inserts. I can't wait to get home from Japan so I can drive again :).
31859, RE: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts
Originally posted by freelancefool
Well, you already have them in your hand. Either way you go the mounts have to come out. As long as you aren't hurting for cash, I vote install the Prothanes. If you are hurting for cash, quit pouring money into the blackhole in your driveway.

No, not hurtin for cash. Some people just say that filling mounts with flexane is better than inserts. But i'll take your word for it and give the prothane's a shot. I have heard rumors of some solid tranny mounts but i haven't found any. Any suggestions as far as the tranny goes?
31860, RE: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts
I guess if you don't care about massive amounts of vibration, solid mounts would be better.
31861, RE: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts
It doesn't bother me at all. My friend had solid mounts all around in his srt4. I actually liked the feel. Gives the car that race car feel. lol
31862, RE: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts
Good stuff. I'd say go for it. There's definitely a benefit from having them. As for me, I'm going to stick with the polyurethane stuff hah.
31863, RE: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts
I'll just try the Prothane's that i already have. Then i'll take the mounts out of my other eclipse and fill them with flexane. Whichever i like better, i'll put in the one i'll be going turbo on.
31864, RE: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts
http://www.deyemeracing.com/ sold solid transmission mounts for a while. Per their website they may not sell them now as they have taken their business offline. You can contact them via e-mail and see if they still have them. I am running the Prothanes all over my car. Full suspension kit, motor mounts, etc. You will notice a difference. It used to aggrevate my roommate when he would ride with me, but he put solid acrylic mounts in his 240 and his car is much worse.

To each their own.
31865, RE: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts
I sent them an email. Hopefully i'll get one back from them on monday. Thanks for the info!
31869, RE: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts
I think I might go ahead and do my side motor mounts sometime this month but god pounding out that pressed ring is a b@#$%.
31871, RE: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts
Use a SawzAll or however you spell that and cut all the rubber out. Then use a hacksaw and carefully cut the metal ring in two places. It will fall right out.
31872, RE: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts
http://www.deyemeracing.com/ sold solid transmission mounts for a while. Per their website they may not sell them now as they have taken their business offline. You can contact them via e-mail and see if they still have them. I am running the Prothanes all over my car. Full suspension kit, motor mounts, etc. You will notice a difference. It used to aggrevate my roommate when he would ride with me, but he put solid acrylic mounts in his 240 and his car is much worse. To each their own.

Well, i got a response from deyemeracing the other day. They do not carry it anymore. They said they havent for awhile. Any other ideas?
31873, RE: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts
Personally, I think you're making this more complicated than it needs to be. Get a set of either Prothane or ES mounts. Prothane sells a 'kit' with the front/rear/side motor mounts.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=ptp-13-1901

Prothane's part number is 13-1901. If you need a reference number.

If you want to go the cheaper route, then go buy some window weld and fill the mounts.
31874, RE: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts
Is one of the side (larger) inserts that come in that kit one that slips into the tranny mount? I've been looking around for that answer and searched. I'm sure its on here somwhere but after digging through threads turned up from search, i found nothing.
31876, RE: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by halfasss101
Is one of the side (larger) inserts that come in that kit one that slips into the tranny mount?

Yes. The kit covers all motor mounts. The hardest one to install is the passenger side upper (timing belt area). As someone already posted up, use a sawzall to cut through the rubber (of course once you have the motor mount out, lol) and carefully cut through the ring.

31877, RE: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts
Originally posted by bullettdsm
Originally posted by halfasss101 Is one of the side (larger) inserts that come in that kit one that slips into the tranny mount?
Yes. The kit covers all motor mounts. The hardest one to install is the passenger side upper (timing belt area). As someone already posted up, use a sawzall to cut through the rubber (of course once you have the motor mount out, lol) and carefully cut through the ring.

lol i went the complicated route and machined some aluminum to the exact size of the rings on a lathe and then stuck it in my press.
i might have that custom tool laying around if it didnt get recycled lol
31878, RE: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts
I wouldn't say you went overboard. I did that when I was doing the prothane suspension kit. For some reason there were several that were an absolute bitch to beat out.
31879, RE: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I wouldn't say you went overboard.

I would, lol.

But then you should have seen the condition of the very first one of these I did. It wasn't pretty :P
31880, RE: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts
well when your waiting for the engine kit to arrive from Howell :rolleyes you tend to have some time on your hands for extravagant things like this, which then usually leads to an addiction with SS lines and AN fittings lol
31882, RE: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts
Posted by scorpo86, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Thanks for that forum for that window fix. My window does it bad and now i know how to fix it. :cheers
31883, RE: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts
Yes thank you for the window fix post. I ended up doing this weekend and I love it. It was a b&*Y^ getting my hand in that small spot but boy was it worth it. Thanks again! I will also be doing my side motor mounts pretty soon. Thanks for all the support guys!
I generated this page in 0.01795506477356 seconds, executing 7 queries.