Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectRear end weight and spring rate.
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=31615
31615, Rear end weight and spring rate.
Posted by RfOeCnKdOeNr, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey guys,

I just installed a set of k-sport coilovers and the rear end springs are WAY too stiff... Does anybody know the weight of the rear end on a stock 96 RS? I have about a 3" drop in the rear and I do not know what length and spring rate to put on. I believe the k-sport's came with a 390 spring rate in the rear. I literally need to stretch after a long ride because my back hurts so much.

Thanks!
31616, RE: Rear end weight and spring rate.
Posted by teklein, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I dont know the exact weight, but check with some local shops, especially those who deal with road racing and the such.

They will most likely have a set of Longacre scales you can use! That will give you a FL, FR, RL, and RR measurement. Add the RL and RR together to get your rear weight. Thats the most accurate way to do it.
31617, RE: Rear end weight and spring rate.
Posted by halfasss101, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
EXACT rear weight of an RS with manual tranny is 1043.1 pounds. 1068.18 pounds for auto tranny. Almost all info about the stock 2gnt is on homepage of 2gnt under the cars section, then specs. Gives all stock specs which is where you will find the weight for RS and GS models with auto/manual tranny and weight distribution for front and rear. Simple math. ;)
31618, RE: Rear end weight and spring rate.
Thanks! Yeah I sat there figuring it out myself from the wiki stuff but I was not sure if that was the correct numbers to use... thanks!

Anyone have feedback about spring rates and what they use with coilovers?
31619, RE: Rear end weight and spring rate.
Posted by teklein, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Or you can go by the generalized weights. They are probably close, but if your worrying about buying the best spring rates for your car, then put it on scales.

Oh wait, I forgot, all cars are EXACTLY the same.
31620, RE: Rear end weight and spring rate.
Posted by halfasss101, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by RfOeCnKdOeNr
Thanks! Yeah I sat there figuring it out myself from the wiki stuff but I was not sure if that was the correct numbers to use... thanks! Anyone have feedback about spring rates and what they use with coilovers?

If you are going to be more into straight line, just raise the rear up and lower the front. If you have alot of power, get that weight to the front. Did it on my friends srt4. 3"drop in front, stock in the back. It gripped alot better with all that weight toward the front.
31701, RE: Rear end weight and spring rate.
Posted by Petri, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
With a 3" drop won't your tires rub on the inner fender?
31881, RE: Rear end weight and spring rate.
nope, maybe with stock springs ... the front has plenty of space and the back barely has any travel because of the insane spring rate.
I generated this page in 0.008903980255127 seconds, executing 7 queries.