Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjecttie rod
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=31579
31579, tie rod
Posted by barza21, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hello,

Recently I replaced my tie rods, but when I took the OEM ones off I didn't count the amount of turns the stock one had, so when I put the after market on it seems that it is affecting my toe. I have gone thru 4 set of tires in 3 weeks.

I know it is not the camber because I lowered the car around two and a half months ago and had no iSsue with tire wear whatsoever. I have heard that toe kills tires, not camber, but just in case I bought a camber kit if it needs to be installed.

My question that being said is: how many turns does a stock tie rod come adjusted to? 7,8,10,15 turns? I just need in a ballpark estimate.

Thanks

31580, RE: tie rod
Posted by eclipse982nrRST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by barza21
Hello, Recently I replaced my tie rods, but when I took the OEM ones off I didn't count the amount of turns the stock one had, so when I put the after market on it seems that it is affecting my toe. I have gone thru 4 set of tires in 3 weeks. I know it is not the camber because I lowered the car around two and a half months ago and had no iSsue with tire wear whatsoever. I have heard that toe kills tires, not camber, but just in case I bought a camber kit if it needs to be installed. My question that being said is: how many turns does a stock tie rod come adjusted to? 7,8,10,15 turns? I just need in a ballpark estimate. Thanks

Every tie rod is different man. Unfortunately, there is no 'specific' amount of turns. I however find it extremely odd that you have gone though 4 tires in 3 weeks. Obviously these arent new tires? Camber and Toe effect tire wear. Anything with the suspension/steering being out of spec will effect tire wear/pattern.

My only suggestion...bring your car and get a 4 wheel alignment.
31581, RE: tie rod
Posted by djtrickee, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by eclipse982nrRST
My only suggestion...bring your car and get a 4 wheel alignment.

Jeebus. NO SHIT man. You will happily pay out for 4 sets of tires but not an alignment?
31582, RE: tie rod
Originally posted by djtrickee
Originally posted by eclipse982nrRST My only suggestion...bring your car and get a 4 wheel alignment.
Jeebus. NO SHIT man. You will happily pay out for 4 sets of tires but not an alignment?

The tire wear has only been for the front, I have destroyed two tires for the right front, and two for the left front.

As far as the camber goes, I dont think it is the issue, but as you guys suggested I will keep my mind open to anything at this point. I will try and get it aligned tomorrow asap, hopefully is the toe, but either way I will be ready...

Thanks for the info though, I will try and guesstimate and take it to a shop and have it aligned.

31583, RE: tie rod
Posted by eclipse982nrRST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by eclipse982nrRST My only suggestion...bring your car and get a 4 wheel alignment.
The tire wear has only been for the front, I have destroyed two tires for the right front, and two for the left front. As far as the camber goes, I dont think it is the issue, but as you guys suggested I will keep my mind open to anything at this point. I will try and get it aligned tomorrow asap, hopefully is the toe, but either way I will be ready... Thanks for the info though, I will try and guesstimate and take it to a shop and have it aligned.

There is nothing to guestimate...if the toe is off, they will fix it...that is how alignments work. If your camber is off and they cannot adjust it without use of aftermarket accessories, they should let you know as well.

31584, RE: tie rod
Originally posted by eclipse982nrRST
The tire wear has only been for the front, I have destroyed two tires for the right front, and two for the left front. As far as the camber goes, I dont think it is the issue, but as you guys suggested I will keep my mind open to anything at this point. I will try and get it aligned tomorrow asap, hopefully is the toe, but either way I will be ready... Thanks for the info though, I will try and guesstimate and take it to a shop and have it aligned.
There is nothing to guestimate...if the toe is off, they will fix it...that is how alignments work. If your camber is off and they cannot adjust it without use of aftermarket accessories, they should let you know as well.

I was talking about estimating when I put them on to take it to the shop. When it gets there they will do their stuff...
31586, RE: tie rod
Issue solved, the issue was the toe, the camber was also fixed, but it was no big deal.
I generated this page in 0.011336088180542 seconds, executing 7 queries.