Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectpower slotted rotors
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=31293
31293, power slotted rotors
Posted by 95eclipseSlow, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
went to belle tire today to get a brake inspection and i need pads and rotors. They said that they cannot turn the slotted rotors because of the slots. The guy said basically youuse them until you need new ones and i havent even had them that long. Is the only solution really to buy new ones?
31294, RE: power slotted rotors
Posted by eclipse982nrRST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 95eclipseSlow
went to belle tire today to get a brake inspection and i need pads and rotors. They said that they cannot turn the slotted rotors because of the slots. The guy said basically youuse them until you need new ones and i havent even had them that long. Is the only solution really to buy new ones?

some brake lathes cannot machine slotted or drilled rotors, that is true.

however, i have a super cheap deal on a set of rotors that i am selling, they are TRUE PowerSlot rotors. Retail is $160.

I am selling them for $65 shipped to your door.

I am actually going to machine them too for whomever purchases them from me, just to make sure they are 100% true.

PM me if you want them, its a super cheap deal for these and they need to go from me asap!
31295, RE: power slotted rotors
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Most all lathes can cut slotted rotors. They may take a while longer but it can be done safely. Buy mike's and send yours to me. I will cut them.
31296, RE: power slotted rotors
thats what im going to do and then im going to print this page out and cram it down belle tires throat. I waited there for 3 hours while they took my front rims off and said either pay 600 bucks or we cant help you because we cant turn these rotors.
31297, RE: power slotted rotors
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
inexperience is why places liek that wont turn them. They dont trust the rotor so they arent willing to take the chance the rotor will fail and you get seriously injured. You cant blame them.

Here is why places wont cut slotted or drilled rotors. All brake rotors have a SPEC of how much they can be cut. Solid rotors will typically have a larger amount of matierial that can be cut away and still render the rotor useable and safe. Drilled and/or slotted typically have a smaller window of the amount you can remove. If you remove too much, the rotor can fail and you can be killed. Unless they know this spec they cant competantly cut the rotor.

So why do I cut rotors? Because I can and I use personal judgement with the amount that i remove. At times I have contacted the manufacturers for their specs on what the minimum thickness must be. If i dont know that min thickness I will cut to resurface but I draw the line at 10 thousanths. This will remove most average warp. A base resurface is usually 4 thousanths (can be as small as 2 thousanths) if the rotor is not warped. Another rule of thumb is you never cut so much that the slot is almost gone, kinda like tire wear.
31298, RE: power slotted rotors
exactly. the guy said oh well thats not even possible these are made for people that have a lot of money and who can afford to buy rotors whenever they need them. They were like yeah its aftermarket and this and that kept saying aftermarket and "i dont know about that" and then said its impossible and no one can do it.
31302, RE: power slotted rotors
Posted by 2gnt97gs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Call around to some of the older brake shops in your area. It just takes experience when it comes to doing something out of the ordinary.
31304, RE: power slotted rotors
Posted by RoninEclipse2G, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
do the brake job yourself. save some money, pull the rotors and take them to someplace like checker/shucks/kragen or the like that will cut rotors, they usually charge $10 per rotor and often times they have someone that knows how to cut them. if you are in colorado I'll do them for you.
31305, RE: power slotted rotors
Posted by 2GeclipseRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 95eclipseSlow
exactly. the guy said oh well thats not even possible these are made for people that have a lot of money and who can afford to buy rotors whenever they need them. They were like yeah its aftermarket and this and that kept saying aftermarket and "i dont know about that" and then said its impossible and no one can do it.

Doesn't that just make you want to punch someone in the face?

I heard somebody at advance say something smart to me about my car breaking all the time because i put an intake on it and the engine can't handle the hp..... Riiiiight.

31306, RE: power slotted rotors
Posted by eclipse982nrRST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
He is going to buy mine from me and send me old ones to cut for him so he has a spare set of rotors.
I generated this page in 0.011449098587036 seconds, executing 7 queries.